Classic HDF Photos CVO's, EVO's, Customs, Classics, Sidecar and Trikes

Need Identify Enginenumber

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 12:50 AM
Speedtwin
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you Eric that you spend your time for this.That is a great help .

Old 12-18-2023, 04:27 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Received 313 Likes on 189 Posts

You’re welcome. I agree the engine number is not like factory production but it appears to have problems anyway. As I indicated above for 1925 models I’d expect F to indicate magneto not electric.

Also in your latest PM you said you heard they built just a little more than 500 of these for street race and road use and that they were going out to the public. But I think you’ve heard the wrong story. Generally speaking in those days engine numbers below 1000 were reserved for machines not usually available to the public and therefore I can’t believe that approximately 500 of these were built for sale to the public.

And notice this does not look like the number 1 but instead looks like the letter I. That is not good.

Later today or tomorrow I’ll check the other photos to see what else I can find but in the meantime please ask the owner/seller for photos of both belly numbers.
Eric

The following 3 users liked this post by Speeding Big Twin:
Architect (12-18-2023), pgreer (12-18-2023), Speedtwin (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 08:14 AM
badger34
Cruiser
Received 285 Likes on 69 Posts

I believe the FHA would have been a two-cam model further identified by the unique curved timing cover with raised ring on the right side of the engine, and I agree would have had magneto ignition. Many examples and images are found on the web for viewing, what is pictured above does not appear to be a FHA two-cam engine.

Last edited by badger34; 12-18-2023 at 08:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Speedtwin (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 11:49 AM
Speedtwin
Novice

The 2cam engine was the FAHC ! 8Valves.With the C stamped. We are talking about an FHA .And what i mind is that this is an Export model with rear and sidecar brake ,and it has been maybe ordered from a customer lke it is.Who knows that today and what Harley done on customer wishes.Also the rims are 28" ( used for Street Race ? ).Normal they have 26" i believe.May you have ordered a Vintage with a Christmas Tree - you get it.But thanks for your comment.

Old 12-19-2023, 01:52 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Speedtwin
We are talking about an FHA.
Just because the engine is stamped FHA doesn’t mean it is one. If the engine number was authentic then why do I see what looks like the letter I instead of the number 1?

The owner told you the bike is a street-legal version but what factory evidence does he have to support his opinion? Also ask the owner what casting number is on the left case.

As for the R-H side of the engine it looks more like early/mid-22 or earlier as I mentioned above. But as of later-22 the gear cover changed and so did the oil pump which received a horizontal cylinder. Did you get photos of the belly numbers yet?

H-D built some engines they referred to as ‘500’ and/or ‘Fast 500’ and/or ‘Special Fast Stock 500’ and some things about them are addressed in H-D Service Department Bulletin 65 and H-D Mechanics’ Bulletin 100. And therefore I’m wondering if what you heard about a little over 500 of the alleged 'FHA' engines being built was the result of confusion with motors that were referred to as the 500 type. The fast motors were called 500 because for 1917–19 they had engine numbers beginning at 500 and that info is from a Harley parts book. The 1920 fast motors were designated by the letter E and I imagine that is why they were then referred to as E motors as opposed to being known as 500 motors.

Regarding the heel brake there is one listed on the 1925 order blank in The Legend Begins. Also listed on that order blank are two speedos: Corbin Brown; and Johns-Manville.

The book you posted a picture from refers to a 1924 JE Super Speed and I notice you called it fast. Why fast? And where did the term Super Speed come from? Who wrote that book and what is the title?

In The Legend Begins the 1924 order blank lists the JE as ‘Elec. Equip. Alum. Alloy Pistons 61” Standard Motor’ and the model description at the back of the book says the same thing but neither page refers to the 24JE as Super Speed.
Eric

Old 01-30-2024, 07:29 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,078 Likes on 5,370 Posts

Place a call to HD customer service. They claim to have at least one of every model ever mde. And some people that maybe eager to help you out. Something like that would get a reaction.

Speedtwin (01-31-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 12:59 AM
Speedtwin
Novice
Thumbs up thanks smitty901

We found some more information,so the bike looks to be a 1924 export FHA ( F-Magneto -H- Highcompression A- Lightmetall Pistons and Facilitated connecting rods) .
Thanks smitty901,i will also place a call to HD customer service.
Here some more we found.Under the blue Line there is an special Model FH shown also JH was available.

The following 2 users liked this post by Speedtwin:
Architect (01-31-2024), smitty901 (01-31-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 09:09 PM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Speedtwin
We found some more information,so the bike looks to be a 1924 export FHA ( F-Magneto -H- Highcompression A- Lightmetall Pistons and Facilitated connecting rods) .
Thanks smitty901,i will also place a call to HD customer service.
Here some more we found.Under the blue Line there is an special Model FH shown also JH was available.

Page 147 looks like it is from a book called Ride Free Forever and I have an English version of it.

But why do you say the bike looks to be a 1924? At this stage the bike doesn’t look to be any year in particular, partly because of the engine number. The number boss is stamped 25, not 24, although I’ve already pointed out that the engine number overall is to be questioned. As I said earlier, if the engine number was authentic then why do I see what looks like the letter I instead of the number 1? I’d like to see somebody explain that.

Another thing I already mentioned is that just because the engine is stamped FHA does NOT mean it is one.

And I’m still wondering why there are only three sequence characters (519) instead of at least four, IF the seller thinks the bike is supposed to be a street-legal version of some model available to the public.

Again the R-H side of the engine looks more like early/mid-22 or earlier.
And again I’ll ask for the belly numbers. We need clear photos of both of them. If they appear authentic they may help determine what model year each case half is.
Also again, we need a clear photo of the frame number.

Regarding Appendix 2, I have that page.
But I don’t have the page of Factory Assembly Number Data. I see it says FH and JH but exactly where is that page from? Is it from a book about Schebler Carbs? If so what is the title of the book? Name of author(s)?

And once we’ve sorted out this alleged 24/25 model we can look into some of the engine numbers via the link to your website. For example the alleged 46EL which may have started life as a 40. It was discussed on another forum several years ago and I can provide more info about it later if you wish.
Eric

Architect (02-02-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 06:33 PM
Speedtwin
Novice
Default Bike sold

Thanks for all your help,The Bike sold yesterday.

Old 02-05-2024, 04:49 PM
Speedtwin
Novice

Hi Eric
Yes it is from the Ride Free forever Book,German Issue.
Harley Davidson 1924 JE24 1000cc 2 cyl ioe , look at https://www.classikbikes.de/harley-davidson/ shows similar to that what we talking about-Oilpump vertikal and the right Engine Case.All other parts,rear Stand,chainguard,front chain cover, small Fenders ,large rims,front fork,gearbox top,rearbrake,etc.is looking correct. I believe this Bike is a 1924 build with a Engine stamped 25 FHA .We looked close to the bike with the book from Steve Slowcomb ( what in my opinion is the best Book with the best detailed information )were all the details given perfect in Text and Pictures for the Vintage Harleys from 1915 to 1929.So that has given us a idea of what we had looking on.Nice Export Harley with the original Dealer Logo on Top on the Front Fender.What is realy wrong is the Distributor.It should have a magneto on.And sooner or Later somebody may will find out that this numbers are correct.
You ask - . I see it says FH and JH but exactly where is that page from? Yes this Page is from Schebler Carbs.
Kind regards Jörg

Last edited by Speedtwin; 02-05-2024 at 05:01 PM. Reason: mistake

Quick Reply: Need Identify Enginenumber