Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Leak from gasoline tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 03:24 PM
1200low
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak from gasoline tank

After replacing my mufflers and air cleaner I noticed that my gas tank is leaking. Any ideas what might be going on? O-Ring?

Is it safe to ride like this 10 miles to the dealer for service?

Thank you all for your comments!

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Leak from gasoline tank-leak.jpg  
Old 03-29-2014, 10:05 PM
Budmiester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this link:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-gas-leak.html

I'm going through the same issue with my Cross Bones, but I've had the tank off for a few months for a winter rebuild. Get a set of small picks, and the o-rings if you want to tackle the job yourself. It's not hard and will save you major dollars as opposed to taking your bike to the dealership.

Riding it 10 miles, to me, would be totally out of the question. You ever seen the Nicholas Cage movie "Ghost Rider", where he's on fire and leaving a trail of flames? Think the same thing. Mine does not leak static, (no pressure), drips some with electrical system energized, and pisses like a cow on a flat rock engine running. I didn't even run it for more than 10 seconds there was so much fuel leaking out. On to cylinders, exhaust and ignition wires. All sources of spark/heat to ignite a fuel flow you can't stop.

Haul it to where you want to get it fixed. Truck, trailer, whatever. There's no shame in not taking a chance on getting burned over 50% of your body. Especially when that 50% starts in between your legs. (I hate that when that happens)

Welcome to the forum, learn how to use the search functions, (there is a ton of really good info here) and ride safe.