Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Carb choice

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:33 PM
ractrev
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Carb choice

Hello all. I have a 2001 CVO Road Glide with the 95CI engine and Woods 590 lift cams. It runs 101 HP and 108 FT-Lbs on the dyno. I am tired of the MM injection and the erratic low speed performance, and the dyno guy thinks I am leaving HP untapped with the MM. I am gathering info on a swap to a carb. Most swappers are using a 40 MM CV carb, but most are doing the swap on stock or near stock 80 or 88 engines. I have read on here that the 40 is good to about 80 HP. I have looked at the 44MM SE version, and also S&S and Mikuni. Just wondering if there are any thoughts on the best choice to use for my application.

Thanks

Old 02-17-2014, 07:19 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I thought that the 40mm was good to about 100Hp (having said that I run 110Hp through one on my 80" Evo), but either way I think your engine combination calls for the 44mm CV unit.

That or a 45mm HS Mikuni would be what I would lean towards. S&S are darn good too, but i do like the extra tunability of the Mikuni (you do need to put the Dyno time into getting it right though)

Old 02-18-2014, 08:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

S&S also make a tunable replacement for your MMI, as do Harley themselves. You're on the cusp with that output, so a larger carb than stock would probably be right. With your engine you would benefit from a proper dyno tune whatever you go with!

Old 02-18-2014, 02:53 PM
ractrev
Road Warrior

Yes, My local HD dealer recommended the new programmable ECU for the bike, as well as 'green' injectors. Right now I have a tuner piggybacked with the original ECU. I think I can do the carb swap for the price of the ECU alone, so I am not sure what to do. Most of the carbs other than the stock 40 I have found have not been cruise compatible, and I realy do not want to lose that function.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:55 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ractrev
Most of the carbs other than the stock 40 I have found have not been cruise compatible, and I realy do not want to lose that function.
That's your answer! Don't spend too long deliberating........

Old 02-20-2014, 07:47 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Hello all. I have a 2001 CVO Road Glide with the 95CI engine and Woods 590 lift cams. It runs 101 HP and 108 FT-Lbs on the dyno. I am tired of the MM injection and the erratic low speed performance, and the dyno guy thinks I am leaving HP untapped with the MM. I am gathering info on a swap to a carb. Most swappers are using a 40 MM CV carb, but most are doing the swap on stock or near stock 80 or 88 engines. I have read on here that the 40 is good to about 80 HP. I have looked at the 44MM SE version, and also S&S and Mikuni. Just wondering if there are any thoughts on the best choice to use for my application.

Thanks
An S&S E with a Thunderjet, with the heads port-matched to that 1.780" intake manifold diameter would have that standing at attention.
That 8 cam can produce more than what your currently seeing.
Scott

Old 02-20-2014, 07:51 AM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top of the line performance or comfort. Your choice.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:21 AM
ractrev
Road Warrior

Well, call me a fool for not looking closer earlier, but S&S has a cruise adapter kit listed for the Super E for $70. So that is an option I guess. So, I have read the Super E is great for wide open but not as good for cruising - any thoughts on that? Also, I really do not care so much about fuel economy a great deal, but with all my riding buddies having 6 gallon tanks, I hate to decrease my range by too much - How would the Super E do there if tuned properly?

Old 02-20-2014, 03:09 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 695 Likes on 338 Posts

The Super E & G are good carbs; don't believe the negative hype. I test rode a 88" XL with a T-jetted Super G & that little fire-breathing bastard would loft the front tire, easing into the throttle in 4th gear.

Scott can articulate the whys & wherefores way better than I can, but a properly tuned Super E is a great all around carb.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:32 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Well, call me a fool for not looking closer earlier, but S&S has a cruise adapter kit listed for the Super E for $70. So that is an option I guess. So, I have read the Super E is great for wide open but not as good for cruising - any thoughts on that? Also, I really do not care so much about fuel economy a great deal, but with all my riding buddies having 6 gallon tanks, I hate to decrease my range by too much - How would the Super E do there if tuned properly?
Very good carb tuned correctly, and razor-sharp throttle response can easily be had in the hands of good carb man.
Yes the fuel economy would be a tick less than a CV, but not to the point you'd expect.
All the younger guys out there are EFI keyboard tuners, so find a guy that his hair has changed color...........
Scott

Quick Reply: Carb choice