Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

'06 died after short shots installed....troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:59 PM
deedgeawesome
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 died after short shots installed....troubleshoot

Hi All,
I"m new to it all, bikes and forums...got an '06 XL883 fully stock, just recently. I had the carb rejetted with a 175 and new plugs for the heck of it. Then I put on a new pair of short shots. Which was a bit time consuming for me (running down the plug size for the EFI bung)... Anyway, I got the pipes on and they sound amazing. I'm really happy. and I did the wk myself. heres where it gets sketchy.... and I'm afraid I might have killed the bike.

Right after I put the pipes on, I ran it a few miles and it ran great. I stopped and gave it a rest and then took it back out to head home. the bike ran and started fine except for a few pops and backfires (not many) when I decelerated.

On my way home on the freeway it just cut out and would not restart. It was pretty cold out but I don't think that would have anything to do with it. I got it home and checked the compression with my thumb the next day (warmer weather). Still would not start and the compression popped my thumb off easily on both ports. There is still a bit of gas (audible when I shake the bike) but i can't see the fluid. I opened the carb and it's shooting gas when I throttle it. the plugs look fine too. No Dark soot...so I don't believe they are fouled.

so, why won't this thing start? Did I possibly burn it up?

Old 04-06-2013, 06:43 PM
DeluxeHog05
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the bike, unfortunately I can't give you any advice on what may be wrong. But I will suggest you put this thread up in the general forum or the sportser forum where more people may read it. Good luck with the bike!

Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

exhaust or intake leak would be the first place to check for problems, you mentioned you rejeted did you tuen it after with the idle a/f mix screw ?