Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Breather Bolts Function

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 05:56 PM
hoghead5860
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breather Bolts Function

I sure hope I am posting this in the correct forum. I have a 2002 Fatboy (Carbureated). One of the breather bolts that of course holds on the air cleaner is cross threaded. Now before I blame anybody else, it could have been me that did it inadvertently since I am the one that usually does my own work, and have had several different air filters. At this point all that is irrelevant. I have everything I need to insert a Heli-Coil in the cross threaded hole (a complete heli coil kit), that by the way is not completely cross threaded, and in fact I have been riding it as is with no issues. However, if I need to for any reason remove it again, (and I would really like to do that now in order to rebuild my Mikuni Carb), I could have issues tightening it down this time. Here's my question. When you insert a Heli Coil which of course resembles a spring, it is required that the little point at the end of the heli coil be broken off to screw in new bolt. I DO NOT know where that hole leads, and am afraid should the little point fall to the inside. If it isn't a big deal I can get right to it. If it is, I either need to be sure I have special tools that will fit in that small diameter such as some needle nose plyers that will fit the 3/8 x 16 hole. Thanks for any help you can provide, and KEEP ROCKING HD FORUM.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:45 AM
PSJBrock
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That hole leads to the rocker box.... THE LAST PLACE you want loose metal pieces hanging around. You can take the cover off and get in there and remove the piece if you need to. Also look into Time Certs. They are more of a full thread than a spring design like a heli coil. I put a time cert in my brake master cylinder and have had no problems.