Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

CV experts needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:37 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

You can get a 46 slow jet at cv-performance.com, I would try that and a 185 in a stock engine. Which needle are you running in there now? From reading the thread, I think your carb was completely stock.The stock needle did have grooves in it for adjustment purposes, at least the one in my parts manual shows grooves. I have an '06 but my carb was modified before I bought the bike and had a different tapered Keihin needle in it. To get the correct main jet there are 2 different things you can do: if you want to check a/f mix at WOT by checking the plugs, you have to do a "plug chop". Google it. Or, you can go to a back road that is fairly straight and no traffic with a friend who will time some 1/4 mile runs at WOT for you. Use a couple telephone poles or other landmarks to use as start and finish points. You have to be going like 60 mph in 5th gear already at the start line so it's a running start.The main jet that gives you the fastest time is the one to use.

Last edited by roadkingharry; 12-05-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

We hit N. Ga. this weekend with the 190 and 48 in it. Cold she acted like she wanted the 50 back in; I had to keep the enrichener pulled for a lot longer.
Warmed up, the roll-on from 60 to 80-85 was lackluster, and it has a slight bog if I give it too much too early, indicating richness to me. As we hit the twisties (my regular playground), I could tell she was not doing quite as well as the 175, but this also could be due to humidity, temperatures, pressure and so forth. Also, she seemed to have good power if I let her wind up tighter than I like to, also indicating rich.
I'm gonna see if I can come up with a 180 or 185 this week to try next. Unfortunately, there is a rather tight police presence around here lately...and this east coast just has TOO DANG MANY PEOPLE!
When I get closer I may do some plug chops, but I believe it's not very healthy for an engine to cut like that at full heat and minimal cylinder oiling.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:55 AM
lieutenant G
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadancer
The Harley 185 won't fit; different threads, indicating that yes, it's a dynajet kit, from what I've read tonight. I did find something interesting though, that may help or at least not hurt - I put the 48 back in, then found this power tube for $16 -http://www.harley-performance.com/cv-performance-parts.html
-called the CVP Velocity Emulsion Tube.
At least it will hold the stock Harley jet threads so I can use the one I bought. Can't find a review on it yet.
Battery dead so couldn't test anything tonight. Stoopid Garmin turns itself on at night if I don't unplug it. Guess i got more than one gremlin after all...
oh yeah...what about contouring the slide? Any good in this situation? I'm pretty good with tools and I've got a lot of 'em.
I have the cv-performance kit on my 98dyna. I did come with a new emulsion tube and it does hold stock harley jets. it comes with a ,42?, and 45 pilot and a 180,185 main jet. It also comes with a slide spring and a slide needle. I was able to dial mine in and get ride of the carb backfire. hope this helps. LT

Old 12-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Whose kit? What type of needle does it have? I put a 180 in it tonight to test at a club meet tomorrow night, and bought a 185 also. Tightened up a very slight exhaust leak I found (clamp was a little offside).
Mech told me today that there are a few needles out there that can make a difference, especially for fuel mileage, but all I see in each kit is one. My manual doesn't show grooves in the stocker, so I assume mine's part of a dynajet kit.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:50 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain

Joe Minton recommends the '88 sporty needle,no shims (part#27094-88 available at the dealer). I used one in mine and it ran good, just runs beter with the dynojet needle in my 95" with cam and head work. Joe had an article in the May 2011 issue of AIM about carb tuning.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

I mentioned that I'd already used the '88 needle - they're not known for fuel efficiency, and that's the reason I took it out and went back to the adjustable needle. I found out the hard way I guess.
Crap. I just realized I didn't try to adjust the needle this weekend; I just assumed the jet was rich from the boggy spot - I wonder if the upper crossover is viable to the needle or is it just the lower end crossover to the pilot jet?
Not like it's a quick adjustment either.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:15 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain

Pain in the butt to have to keep taking the needle out. So, should you raise the clip up on the needle to lean it out.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Man, you got that one right! I had dropped it all the way down one notch at a time until it ran lean (with the 175 in it) and backed up one notch, where it still is.
Tonight saw a 40 degree ride to a meeting after realigning the rear muffler clamp to eliminate the slight leak. The popping was gone completely! The 180 seems to be doing okay, but I'd like to be able to get it warmer (*tomorrow) to see how she runs. I may stay here for a tankfull or a run (two tankfulls, usually) to check the mileage.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:16 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain

Trial and error Quad, an exercise in patience. Good Luck.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:53 PM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You're a bit large on the low jet.

I would go with a #46 low jet and that should put your idle adjustment at around 2 1/2 turns out , then adjust it from there to reach the highest and steadiest idle , then adjust the idle speed after it's completely warm. The poor MPG is due to the large jetting on the low end.

2 #4 washers under a stock needle will give you as much as you can get with any jet kit.

Quick Reply: CV experts needed