Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Possible carb related question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 PM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible carb related question.

First off I have not taken the time to check my plugs yet, need to finish unpacking the tools first. I am trying to be as descriptive as I can so if it seems like it's long winded that's why. For starters I have an 02 FXST. I use the enricher on the first start (I have read threads that say don't it'll foul the plugs) The problem I have is while heading to work speed is usually around 25 mph average. after around quarter to half a mile I have to stop to show my ID to get on base. I pull in the clutch, and the idle drops off till the bike dies. To get her started again I have to pull the enricher and/or give some gas to get her to fire back up. I've also noticed that the few times I have gone for a quick ride after work, and stop somewhere that if she sits for 20 minutes or so that I need to do the same thing to get her to start back up even though she is warmed up. I am about 16 miles into sea foam in the tank. The previous owner used regular instead of premium, but this problem started shortly before I put in a full tank of premium and sea foam. I am new to motorcycles, so I don't ride every day as I'm A.) so used to driving the cage for the past 16 years, and B.) still settling into my comfort with the bike. Side note now that I don't have a bald front tire, or gouge in the rear side wall the piece of mind is up more. Any advice on this topic though would be appreciated since it's more frustrating than embarrassing that she stalls out on me when I have the clutch in instead of stalling while trying to take off. Once again sorry for a long winded post.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:06 AM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried setting the idle? I take it this bike is new to you. Might need to tear the carb down and clean it if it's been sitting for a long time. It's normal to have to use the choke on a carb bike. I don't know who told you not to. I have never heard of that. If the bike is jetted lean you might have to ride with it on for a short while till it's warmed up. All bikes are different and you have to figure out what they like and don't like.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:38 AM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser

Well the longest that I know of that it sat for was after I bought it. I had ridden it to work a couple times after she sat for about a month or 2. Then it sat for a few more weeks. The lovely rainy weather of Hawaii, had a bald front tire, and I'm a new rider so she sat covered with a crappy $20 cover that I'm discovering let moisture in but not out as I'm starting to see rust. I think once I get a tank through if the problem seems to stick around I'll look for a rebuild kit, and the not using the choke was something I read on the forum while searching for something else. I'll look into the idle since after the bike has been running a while when I come to a stop sometime the idle will start to fall off, but a good crack of the throttle will bring the idle to normal. I don't know if the carb has been jetted or not. Only mod I can tell has been done before I bought the bike was Python pipes put on. Previous owner never said he had an issue, but if I see him at work tomorrow I'll ask him. Also thanks for the quick reply

Old 06-15-2011, 12:48 AM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like you might need to adjust the carb mixture screw also. I have seen carbs gunk up in a few weeks in a high humidity area. Sea foam is good stuff though and might do the trick.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:04 AM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser

Once again thanks for the info. I think I'll dig into the shop manual a bit to get more of an idea of what I need to turn.