Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Internal fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:20 PM
jayride
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal fuel leak

The other day I was in a low speed turn and the bike cut off for a split second, made me a little nervous. I also noticed some random hesitation sometimes it was when I hit a bump or under hard acceleration the bike would miss, I was leaning toward electrical issues. I took the bike in to a local Harley guy and right away he said it may be a fuel pressure issue. Sure enough once the fuel pump turns on we had fuel pressure 60 PSI and as soon as the fuel pump turned off fuel pressure went to 0. I am riding a 06 Dyna and this seems to be something that happens a lot according to this mechanic. Has anyone had anything like this happen? He also said that he was suprised I made it to his shop with this problem. Like I said, I thought it was electrical so plugs were changed, battery connections checked once a week. Has anyone else heard of this problem?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 AM
eksavior
Stage II

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I thought i would throw my two cents in since I just had to deal with a nearly identical issue. After 6 months of storage (Afghanistan) I brought my street bob out for a ride and had poor throttle response and a terrible stutter while driving. I thought it might be bad injectors since my bike still had the old part number. so I ordered the injectors, but by the time they got here, i had to go back to Afghanistan. The next time i got home (six months later) I drained what little fuel I had left in the tank, replaced the injectors and put two gallons of fresh fuel in. it wouldn't even start now. i tested everything I could without having to buy any new tools. the only thing I couldn't check was fuel pressure. So I pulled the pump out to look at it, and I saw the fuel filter O-ring had turned to jello and started to "squirt" out from the filter housing. That is when I realized that I had heard a "pissing" noise inside the tank every time i turned the key on. I hadn't thought anything of it until then. I changed the filter and O-ring ($20 from the stealer) and it fired right up. I think next time i'll store it with a full tank and some fuel preserver.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,975 Likes on 4,167 Posts

EK, not sure if this relevant but I have seen a few bike with the sock completely dissolved on 04 and 05 bikes from two much stabilizer or it not getting mixed well. At 6 months I think I would just run it down to the fuel light came on if possible and when I got back, pour in couple gallons of new fuel and drive to service station for a fill up. Just my opinion. There is the old theory that a empty tank will sweat in rapid changing temperatures but there is a big empty area above the the fuel in modern bikes for air even when full.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 PM
eksavior
Stage II

That's good info about the fuel preserver. I usually just leave it on an almost empty tank. It has always worked for my truck. The reason I was thinking about using it this time is because I think the fuel filter housing leak was caused by the o-ring drying out from not being submerged in fuel. I'm not sure what i'm going to do. I'll be leaving for another six months in April. I might just leave it on a full tank, then drain and fill before I ride.