Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Choke Cable Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Choke Cable Replacement

Anyone have or know where to find procedures for how to change the choke cable on a '96 EG with a CV carb? I dont have the shop manual yet...

Old 08-31-2009, 12:12 AM
hogasm
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have a flht '96 and service manual & this bad cable... however I 've been unable to locate a procedure in the factory service manual. it is shown in the carb blowup but I'm unable to see how the enrichner cable hooks up inside the carb ..... not outlined in the manual or i may be blind... into the carb I go

Old 08-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Curtis629
Cruiser

I'm curious too, please post what you find.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you jerk the carb and cable off...you will be able to see what has to happen. You don't need to pull the carb all way off, but may have to loosen the throttle cables to get enough slack to pull it around. It just "pops" out of the manifold after you remove the air cleaner and backing plate components. You should be able to get to the enrichener valve connection without ripping off the throttle cables....maybe the fuel line as well. Remove the cable from it's mount and let it dangle. Pull the carb out and you will see where it simply screws into an opening in the carb. Loosen and remove the cable. On the end of the cable is a little brass valve that is held in place by a spring. It is sort of like a throttle cable connection...a little "ball" on the end of the cable that fits in a slot in the valve held in place by the spring. Release the old cable from the valve and install the new cable then resemble the cable/valve back into the orifice in the carb you removed it from. "Snug" is fine and don't overdo it. Feed the new enrichener cable through the frame and let it dangle. Would not be a bad idea to pull the **** and make sure the valve is free. It will jump back in after you pull it out if things are assembled properly. Install the carb and associated stuff and readjust your throttle cables, etc.

Place the new cable in the holder with the plastic (outer) nut around 1/8-1/4 inch down the threaded sleeve. Tighten the big nut on the rear of the cable...good-n-finger tight only. Don't use a wrench. The plastic nut behind the **** facing out is the one you tension by hand to get the proper cable "feel". Tighten this good enough so the cable will stay out when the **** is pulled, but is rather easy to tap or push back in. Over the course of time, you will need to make this adjustment now-n-then as things wear-in. If you decide to get real manly and use a wrench...you will crack that plastic nut. Exercise caution when you plug the carb back into the manifold too...maybe even put a little lube or brake fluid on that rubber connector to make things slide better.

I talked my 17-year old grandson through this over the phone one day and i told him to call me back if he had any problems....he did not call back.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:06 PM
hogasm
2nd Gear

1550vt,

Thanks for shedding some light on the carb connection I filed it in my HD service manual ....I hope this 50 Year old does not need to call for help as well LOL .

Was concerned I had to really tear the carb apart...these old eyes are not as good as they were.

MUCH APPRECIATED!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

50 you say! I thought I was old when I was 50 too and that was 12 years ago. It's not that complicated. Many carburetors, even the S&S use the enrichener valve and they just screw in. I toyed once with getting another valve that did not have the cable...just a short plunger and the **** on the end, but I have been fuel injected since 1996. The most recent cable I replaced was on a buddy's 97 FLHT and I was actually able to remember how. Then there was that time a month ago when I really did talk a grandson through it on a 2002 Softail. I failed to mention there is a boot and sleeve over the end of the cable on the carb side. It just pulls off and goes over the new cable when you remove the valve.