Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

98” big bore plug chops always lean

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 06:48 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Mglide
I just went to order the emulsion tube and the velocity needle from cvp and the needle is on back order. So I thought I will just order the emulsion tube from Harley too and just get the needle separate. I don’t want to pay shipping just for a little needle though. What needle should I get from Harley for my bike, so I can just order everything through the dealer? Thanks
You can get everything from a dealer except a needle. They are n/a from HD. Ebay has N65C on there from time to time if you want to go that route.

If you're smelling rich and the screw is in, that's probably the float too high. Low jet wont do that normally. Also, need to ride them till totally warmed up, like 20 miles or more even in warm weather before trying to adjust the mixture screw.

You may already know this or have seen it but here's a painfully long video that shows the float adjustment, easier than me typing it out.

Last edited by t150vej; 08-10-2022 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:02 PM
Mglide
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I planned on checking the float height while I was in there, so that’s good to know. I’ll order the parts and let you know how it turns out. Thanks

Old 08-10-2022, 08:57 PM
WS6_Keith
Cruiser
Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

If you're going to spend more money on it, consider getting the proper tool to tell you want you need to do...the wideband kit. This can also be temp installed and removed later and moved to another bike as needed.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:38 AM
Mglide
Advanced

Originally Posted by WS6_Keith
If you're going to spend more money on it, consider getting the proper tool to tell you want you need to do...the wideband kit. This can also be temp installed and removed later and moved to another bike as needed.
I plan on having it on the dyno next year. I just want to get it close now. I have heard from multiple people the thunder slide doesn’t help you but also doesn’t hurt you either. Also heard it sucks. Don’t know until you feel it. But I have a stock slide, so I only need the needle, spring, and emulsion tube to bring it back to stock so I’m gonna just buy them since they’re cheap enough and see what happens. Just want to get it close until she’s on the dyno. Honestly I’ve been hearing great things about the mikuni 42 but don’t have the money for it yet.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:45 AM
WS6_Keith
Cruiser

The Thunderslide has a few benefits over a stock slide. It's plastic, so it's lighter and moves quicker, which results in better throttle response when you whack the throttle hard. Because of the extra holes in the slide, it rides very low at cruise and light throttle, which means it's forcing the air through a small area in the throat of the carb, which increases the air velocity and helps pick the fuel up through the emulsion tube better. Assuming you have the whole kit, it should be adjustable to give you what you need. I'd think you'd be better off with a 45-48 pilot, but you can also turn the mix screw in with the 50...it's just a more coarse adjustment with a bigger jet. I'm guessing you'll be closer to 1 turn out, maybe less, with a 50.

I'm not sure how many holes are in the stock emulsion tube, but a T-slide kit emulsion tube has 3 holes on 4 sides on the jet end, then 2 more holes on two sides on the needle end.

Last edited by WS6_Keith; 08-11-2022 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:10 PM
Mglide
Advanced

The Thunderslide has a few benefits over a stock slide. It's plastic, so it's lighter and moves quicker, which results in better throttle response when you whack the throttle hard. Because of the extra holes in the slide, it rides very low at cruise and light throttle, which means it's forcing the air through a small area in the throat of the carb, which increases the air velocity and helps pick the fuel up through the emulsion tube better. Assuming you have the whole kit, it should be adjustable to give you what you need. I'd think you'd be better off with a 45-48 pilot, but you can also turn the mix screw in with the 50...it's just a more coarse adjustment with a bigger jet. I'm guessing you'll be closer to 1 turn out, maybe less, with a 50.

I'm not sure how many holes are in the stock emulsion tube, but a T-slide kit emulsion tube has 3 holes on 4 sides on the jet end, then 2 more holes on two sides on the needle end.
I planned on going back to a 48 most likely. Was gonna check my emulsion tube and see

Old 08-11-2022, 01:16 PM
Mglide
Advanced

Since the thunder slide is only hurting my mpg I plan on just keeping it at this point, setting my float height, and putting the 48 back in there and seeing how it performs. Thank you all

Old 08-11-2022, 01:46 PM
WS6_Keith
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mglide
Since the thunder slide is only hurting my mpg I plan on just keeping it at this point, setting my float height, and putting the 48 back in there and seeing how it performs. Thank you all
Since the slide rides lower than stock at cruise, it should improve your economy if anything.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:54 PM
Mglide
Advanced

Since the slide rides lower than stock at cruise, it should improve your economy if anything.

adjusted my float, it was off. My digital caliper was dead so the old school one did it today. Went back to a 48 pilot and stuck with a 195 main. Found a seal was missing from the breather mating surface on the head to the intake so I replaced both of them because the other one was crushed. I will see how the idle mixture reacts now with the smaller pilot and then fill her up and see what I get for mileage. Thank you all!

Old 08-11-2022, 07:10 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Start with 2 turns out and don't stress over the mix screw effects until you've gotten it totally warmed up - like minimum 20 miles or more.

Quick Reply: 98” big bore plug chops always lean