Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

1999 Fatboy won't start on its own but will run.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020 | 12:55 PM
aperdue
|
Intermediate
Default 1999 Fatboy won't start on its own but will run.

So, I picked up a bit of a basketcase, a 1999 Fatboy that has been very neglected. I just rebuilt and reinstalled the carb. Before, it would not start and would barely run if I sprayed a bit or fuel directly into the carb. Now after rebuilding the carb (which was filthy and had clogged jets ), it still wont start unless I spray a little fuel into the carb, but it runs like a champ once it starts. One thing I noticed, and not sure if it is normal, is once i disconnect the fuel line from the carb, the little fuel in the line will run out but it stops. Not sure if this is normal since it has a vacuum line.

Old 11-23-2020 | 02:32 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member

To answer your last question first, yes, that is normal if you have a vacuum operated petcock.

Next, trouble starting I would check the enricher (choke) first and make sure it is functioning. Follow the cable to the back of the carb, unscrew the knurled **** and pull it out of the carb. Clean the tip off and spray a little carb cleaner in where it goes and then replace and try starting again.

Or, remove the air filter and the hole in the carb at the 10 o'clock position is the same hole, spray some carb cleaner in there let it set a while the follow that with a shot of WD-40 or other favorite lubricant and give the cold start another try.

If none of this makes sense to you go up https://cv-performance.com and check out there help articles .

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (11-28-2020)
Old 11-23-2020 | 03:24 PM
aperdue
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kabear
To answer your last question first, yes, that is normal if you have a vacuum operated petcock.

Next, trouble starting I would check the enricher (choke) first and make sure it is functioning. Follow the cable to the back of the carb, unscrew the knurled **** and pull it out of the carb. Clean the tip off and spray a little carb cleaner in where it goes and then replace and try starting again.

Or, remove the air filter and the hole in the carb at the 10 o'clock position is the same hole, spray some carb cleaner in there let it set a while the follow that with a shot of WD-40 or other favorite lubricant and give the cold start another try.

If none of this makes sense to you go up https://cv-performance.com and check out there help articles .
The choke is operating correctly and was cleaned when I rebuilt the carb. When I try to start it, there is a little bit of fuel entering the carb but very little. I was thinking it might be a vacuum leak. I found some cracks in the hose to the carb and replaced it but no luck.

Last edited by aperdue; 11-23-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2020 | 06:47 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Fuel should not be coming out of the needle jet like that, To me it looks like fuel is coming around the outside of the needle jet. I'm thinking your needle jet is installed upside down. See link below for proper positioning of the needle jet.

Check that first and check your float height while you have it apart. Also, your battery sounds a little weak.

https://cv-performance.com/harley-cv...-tuning-issues

Old 11-28-2020 | 02:06 PM
aperdue
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Fuel should not be coming out of the needle jet like that, To me it looks like fuel is coming around the outside of the needle jet. I'm thinking your needle jet is installed upside down. See link below for proper positioning of the needle jet.

Check that first and check your float height while you have it apart. Also, your battery sounds a little weak.

https://cv-performance.com/harley-cv...-tuning-issues

I just tore it back down and it is installed correctly, still having the same issue. I noticed that there is no fuel coming out of the accelerator pump into the throat of the carb. thinking I may have a clog in there

Old 11-28-2020 | 05:09 PM
aperdue
|
Intermediate

Update:

I found that there was a blockage in the bowl itself, between the pump and the nozzle for the pump. I removed the nozzle from the bowl, and the needle valve, and blew carb cleaner back and forth through the bowl.

Photo from another site, but this is what I removed and found was clogged where it is installed

And here is video after that was cleaned. I made the video for my dad who is a part owner of the bike.
​​​​​​

Old 11-28-2020 | 05:44 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Cool!!!

Old 08-19-2021 | 01:39 PM
Fblo1690
Road Master
Default Well this is funny

Came across this randomly...I now own that bike lol.

Made a few changes..