Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

carb tuning 2004 eletrac glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 11:35 AM
BULA
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default carb tuning 2004 eletrac glide

So I have done some reading here and am now in need of a little guidance. I know i can search, but based on differences in Mods I thought it was time to ask for help. I have an 04 Electra Glide with a stock 88. I have freedom headers and rcx 4.5 inch exhaust (which I think was a mistake). I was running a stock A.C. until about a month ago. Decided to go with an Arlen Ness big sucker. I also just ordered some big city monster baffles for my head pipes as I think my mufflers are not conducive to my stock 88 inch motor. When I changed the air cleaner, I ended up going from a 190 main to a 185 as well as from a 45 pilot to a 46. This was based on suggestions on the forum and internet. I also shimmed my needle with two #4 washers. Bike seems to be running well, but I took a significant hit on my mileage. I am at about 33.5 MPG from what I calculated. That's based on one tank, but I wasn't really getting into the bike that hard during my riding. I would have normally reached anywhere from 170 to 180 miles before I would switch to reserve on my tank. I only reached 153 miles prior to reserve the other day. So my thought from what I have read, is that the shims are hurting my economy. I may also not have my idle mixture dialed in properly as well. What are your guys suggestions? Should I remove the shims and should I also go back to the 190 main? I am not expecting a rocket ship as I fully understand this is not a Rushmore or m8.
I also notice that my idle increases significantly after the bike is warmed up. I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 rpm.

I would greatly appreciate some guidance. It would be nice to have some knowledge of tuning since there are not a lot of people around that run and tune carbs anymore.

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:56 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,023 Likes on 2,874 Posts

I would remove the shims and recheck MPG

Old 06-19-2020, 04:58 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 619 Posts

remove the shims and drop down to a 180 main jet. and 2-2.5 turns out on the idle mixture screw and re=test. you'd be suprized at the results.
m

Old 06-27-2020, 02:57 PM
tootal
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Definitely take the shims out to start. Once fully warmed up adjust your idle mixture screw to obtain the highest rpm. Turning it in till the rpm starts to drop and then backing it off a half a turn will get you real close. Shut the bike off and rotate the mixture screw in till it lightly bottoms out. Count the turns. If it's between 1 and 3 turns out your slow speed jet is the proper size. If it's over 3 turns out then the jet is too small. Under 1 turn out it's too big. The stock main jet is usually too big but it's safer to be rich than lean. The 185 should be fine for now. Before you try any of this check for vacuum leaks. If there's a leak then this would all be a waste of time!

Old 06-27-2020, 06:52 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,183 Posts

(1) Air cleaner has little, if any effect on jetting except at WOT, under near full load and high rpms. So with the best of intentions I'm sure, "they" told you wrong.

(2) Take out the shims!

(3) Don't get neurotic about the idle mixture screw. It controls only the idle mixture at about 1200 rpm or less. (and feeds the engine on hard decel)

(5 ) Don't forget to remove the shims!

(6) You need a minimum of a 48 slow jet. (start with 2 turns out) You "might" get by with the 185 if the cams are stock, but a 190 or 195 should be what it came out with and it'll run cooler.

(7) Did I mention to take out the shims?

(8) You should get mid 40ish for mileage on flat road, no wind at around 65 mph

The following users liked this post:
eighteight (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 09:24 AM
BULA
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the replies everybody. I removed the shims and it seemed to make a world of difference on my fuel economy. I am still running a 46 slow jet and a 185 main. I really did not mess very much with the idle mixture screw, although my idle seems to be lower than id like it to be. I will toy with that adjustment next. Overall I am pretty please with my mileage. I was averaging about 43 MPG this past weekend. Only traveled about 450 miles, but had no real issues with the exception of a couple coughs through the card a few minutes after start up. I don't think I have any leaks at the intake gaskets. I installed a new ring from the carb to the intake. and I did not detect any leaks at the cylinders or any of the lines in that area. I sprayed the locations down with WD-40 when the bike was running. There was no rpm change when I sprayed the locations with WD-40.

The following users liked this post:
eighteight (06-30-2020)