Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

1988 EVO Sportster with Screaming Eagle Butterfly Keihin

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 02:06 PM
Hawk45
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1988 EVO Sportster with Screaming Eagle Butterfly Keihin

Hi all,

I've had this 1988 Sportster Hugger sitting around for quite some time. Planned on doing a build with it a long time ago, and finally getting around to it. The guy I got this from hadn't changed anything (other than fluids) or cleaned it since he bought it from whoever he bought it from. So it's my job to go through it all.

From all I read this should have a Keihin CV carb with vacuum piston, but what mine has is the Screaming Eagle Keihin with a butterfly (# 27FA ED18)
Existing jets are a 160 Main and a 68 Slow. The main came out just fine, but the slow jet gave me some trouble. Took some a few rounds of penetrating oil and heat to get it to break loose. It's a little buggered so I'm just going to get some new jets to be on the safe side.
I'm in Ohio at sea level basically (500ft at most). It's hot/humid most of the spring/summer.
Should I stick with the existing sizes or order a few other sizes as well?
Also,I can't find a new gasket for the bowl anywhere. See pics below.

Also, does anyone have any documentation on this carb? I can't seem to find anything. It was a complete gunked up mess, so do doing a full rebuild and wanted to try to get the recommended starting settings.
When I pulled the plugs they look like it's been running rich (sooty black).
It also has the factory air kit but with a K&N filter.

1988 EVO Sportster with Screaming Eagle Butterfly Keihin-bzlp39k.jpg

1988 EVO Sportster with Screaming Eagle Butterfly Keihin-gbwdfde.jpg

1988 EVO Sportster with Screaming Eagle Butterfly Keihin-pdjn16n.jpg

Thanks,
Hawk

Last edited by Hawk45; 06-07-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:30 PM
Hawk45
Advanced

Actually did find some info here: http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/t...ing_eagle_carb
But the part numbers don't match up, and still no gasket for the bowl to be found.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:35 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,071 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Have you check CV Performance? Another option: Jets R Us, however, that carb is pretty much a dog. Even well tuned, it will never match the performance of a CV carb. Consider scrapping that carb and look for a good used CV carb (with accelerator pump) or an S&S carb. YD

The following users liked this post:
Hawk45 (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 05:19 AM
Hawk45
Advanced

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Have you check CV Performance? Another option: Jets R Us, however, that carb is pretty much a dog. Even well tuned, it will never match the performance of a CV carb. Consider scrapping that carb and look for a good used CV carb (with accelerator pump) or an S&S carb. YD
Thanks for the heads up, I'll hit up CV Performance and Jets R Us. I'll also look for a CV unit and look into the S&S options.
Is there a specific CV model I'd be looking for for my year/make of bike? Or is it just the CV40?
Is the S&S worth the step up? Looking for reliability.

Last edited by Hawk45; 06-08-2020 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:46 AM
Hawk45
Advanced

Trying to find a Keihin but all I'm finding are no-name "high quality replacement/reproduction" versions. They range in price from $80 - $200 depending on if you get a jet kit with them. Does Keihin not make these anymore? Are these reproduction versions good quality and OK to use? I see them on Amazon and ebay. Even some of the online cycle shops sell them, but with a name on them, but not Keihin.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:19 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Stay away from the reproduction cv’s

Yes a CV40 is good for up to about 100 HP bikes.

Try to find a good used CV-40 that is a virgin (mixture screw plug still in place). However, might be hard to find...

Or if you go new, a S&S or a Mikuni are good choices. I never owned one but they say the S&S is easy to tune. Others swear by the Mikuni.

Any mods to the bike? YD

EDIT: if you find a good used one, make sure it one with the accelerator pump, early CV’s did not have an accelerator pump

Last edited by Yankee Dog; 06-08-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Hawk45 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 02:24 PM
Hawk45
Advanced

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Any mods to the bike? YD
Thanks for the reply!

Last day of searching didn't turn up anything for original (non-reproduction) CV40 (with AP).

No mods other than the air cleaner that came with the carb. Nothing engine or exhaust.

Adding a new carb is going to equal needing a new air filter and manifold or converter also, correct?

Old 06-08-2020, 06:20 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Well you can always hunt down the parts for your current carb, get the bike running, then take your time finding the parts like the cv carb and intake. Doing a quick ebay search was about $100 for a carb, probably 25 for an intake. Chances are a used carb will need a rebuild also. Look for a cv carb that has the single solid black float, and not the two separate white plastic floats. The black is more common.

Yes to new (or used) intake, air cleaner might still work with the cv, depends on the backing plate.

Heres a couple links for your current carb:

https://www.denniskirk.com/drag-spec...gaAhSeEALw_wcB

https://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_ca...yle_keihin.htm

Heres a good thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...9-fxstc-2.html

Last edited by Yankee Dog; 06-08-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Hawk45 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 02:19 PM
Hawk45
Advanced

Thanks for the links. I checked out that kit and has most everything but the right gasket for the bowl. I contacted my local Harley dealer and they told me to bring it up to look at and see if they could find the proper gasket. If they do, I'm buying a few of them.

Old 06-09-2020, 05:57 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Seems like others had the same problem locating that seal. One guy had success when the dealer looked up the part number for the O-ring from a book, then did a nationwide search in the harley parts system. Maybe you will have luck that way. Links are below. Good luck

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...6e&app=WordPdf

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1990310

https://www.*****************/thread...oblems.468553/

Hawk45 (06-09-2020)

Quick Reply: 1988 EVO Sportster with Screaming Eagle Butterfly Keihin