Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

S&S Thunderjet

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 05:46 PM
sharpcanoe
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 38 Posts
Default S&S Thunderjet

Just grabbed a used S&S Super E with a thunderjet on it..This is going on a stock twin cam 2005 Road King.. My question is should I remove the thunderjet or leave it on the carb.. What are the advantages of having the thunderjet on a stock engine or is it better to eliminate it and just use the S&S carb.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:30 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,959 Likes on 4,034 Posts

If the carb was setup by someone that knew what they were doing, I'd leave it on. If not remove it.

You could simply plug the line.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 04-10-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:42 PM
sharpcanoe
Cruiser

I believe the guy who had it put it on a souped up dyna for a couple years..Was doing wheelies/burnouts and **** and said he was going up to a Super G so maybe he knew what he was doing but going to get it checked out.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:00 AM
sharpcanoe
Cruiser

Can I just screw the adjustment closed and will that close the thunderjet off and the carb still work or do I have to take it off and block it.?

Old 04-11-2020, 09:13 AM
Scarydog
Tourer
Received 212 Likes on 93 Posts

Typically if there is a thunderjet and you stop using it and don't rejet the main you may be lean at higher rpms.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:54 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scarydog
Typically if there is a thunderjet and you stop using it and don't rejet the main you may be lean at higher rpms.
Absolutely. I would not suggest plugging a Tjet on a motor that has had jetted for the T jet. The thing is that since the carb came off a different bike it's need to be jetted anyway. BTW it's typically not the main jet that needs correction but the adjusting the main jet air bleed that is added that causes the motor to run lean up top. In the cases I've seen, the air beeld in the T Jet itself need adjusting but these were on a G carb. The air bleed in the T jet is the cross holes in the tube that goes into the carb body. Dan Bassley used to drill them out then make a number of little covers with different holes to set the Tjet air bleed.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:55 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by sharpcanoe
Can I just screw the adjustment closed and will that close the thunderjet off and the carb still work or do I have to take it off and block it.?
What adjustment screw? Got a picture?

Old 04-11-2020, 03:34 PM
sharpcanoe
Cruiser

Its the **** at the top of the thunder jet.. I didn't unscrew it and thought it may be some kind of setting/adjustment but it may be just a ****/screw where there may be a jet under it..Didnt take it apart yet.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:31 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by sharpcanoe
Its the **** at the top of the thunder jet.. I didn't unscrew it and thought it may be some kind of setting/adjustment but it may be just a ****/screw where there may be a jet under it..Didnt take it apart yet.
If it's a standard T jet, the top piece is nothing more than a cap. The jet itself is under that cap. There should also be an air bleed jet on the left upper part of the carb. There are power jets like the T jet that have an adjustment on them. I'm not familiar with those.

It's probably worthwhile to through the carb and record all the jet sizes then contact Hillside, Prodrag, or Zippers on how to set them up.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:51 PM
sharpcanoe
Cruiser

Thanks for all the good info and suggestions..

Quick Reply: S&S Thunderjet