Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Carb to EFI and vice versa.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 02:22 PM
tootal
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Carb to EFI and vice versa.

In my research for changing my 2002 Road Glide from carb to EFI I didn't find anybody who had successfully done it. There's tons of EFI to carb threads. So I started doing my own research and thought I'd put it out there in case anybody else wanted to do this. On 2002 through 2005 Big Twins you can do this fairly easily. It requires some salvage yard inquiring and ebay can be your friend! Here's what you need to do it.
1. Fuel injection fuel tank.
2. Fuel pump/filter assembly Make sure it has the external wire that connects it to the main wiring harness!
3. New internal fuel lines installed
4. Coil for FI, it is different.
5. FI wiring harness. This is the cool part. You simply remove the carb wiring harness and install the FI in it's place. You don't need to change the main harness.
6. Throttle body assembly. Complete with fuel injecters, temp sensor, tps sensor etc.
7. Head temp. sensor
8. ECM module. In this case I just got a ThunderMax. It comes with wide band O2 sensors. My aftermarket exhaust already had the bungs in them so it was an easy install. If you have pipes without bungs you'll need to weld them in place. If you use a stock ECM then you might need an aftermarket tuner depending on your build.
So how did it turn out? Amazing. The ThunderMax works great. All those cold morning coughs are gone. Fuel mileage is way up and ridability is much improved. As you ride the ECM learns .
Ronnies Mail Order's part drawings were an awesome help in figuring this out, along with the factory Service Manuals.
A shout out to Fallen Cycles in Daytona who were very helpful in me getting most of my parts.
My reason for doing this was because I travel and elevation, weather and temperature changes will mess with your carb. I had installed an A/F ratio gauge to help tune the carb but what it did was show me how bad a carb really is. So I just wanted to put something out there in case anybody else wanted to do this.
If anybody still wants to get rid of their EFI for a carburetor and your bike is a 2002-2005 I have all the parts you need to do it! My tank is black and in very good shape. It even has a Pingel on it!

The following users liked this post:
grbrown (03-09-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Tired
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,813 Likes on 1,760 Posts

I know a guy that put the Delphi system on a carbed 2001 RK. It was pretty involved but it ran nice when done.

tootal (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 05:00 PM
tootal
Tourer

Yes, you can do it to a 2001, it's a little harder because it's kind of a one off year. The fuel injection changed in 2002. I might add that if you're looking up parts the last two numbers on Harley's part numbers is the year they started using that part. Many of the parts I used ended in 02. I ended up with many 03 parts including the tank and throttle body.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:46 PM
phantomwcs
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked into going from a carb to EFI on my 95 FLHR a few years ago, but it just didn't look feasible for a sane amount of money. Stuck with the CV but it's been tweaked some.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:10 PM
tootal
Tourer

Originally Posted by phantomwcs
I looked into going from a carb to EFI on my 95 FLHR a few years ago, but it just didn't look feasible for a sane amount of money. Stuck with the CV but it's been tweaked some.
Well nobody ever accused me of being sane! I usually don't add up my receipts because I usually don't want to know! However when I saw your post I went back to ebay and paypal and added things up.
It seems I departed with $705.73. Now the question is was it worth that. To me, absolutely. The driveability is so much improved. The mileage went way up too. I programmed the ecu to run at 14/1 afr under half throttle. It seems to be happy there. Over half it's at 13.2/1 afr. Then it runs like a scalded dog! Most of the parts were salvaged. Only rubber and plastic parts were bought new.

Things I learned along the way.
The Thundermax shows your front cylinder fueling. However it only shows how much less the rear cylinder is getting compared to the front. This made me think.
When I was tuning the bike I had an INNOVATE MOTORSPORT wide band O2 sensor and A/F ratio gauge in the dash. This is what made me want to go with EFI. Just seeing how much the ratio changed with temperature, elevation and weather was amazing.
I also learned that if you're using a gauge like this you should set it up to the Front exhaust. Seeing how much less fuel the rear requires I now know why I was running lean much of the time. I had it hooked up to the rear, so when it was showing good numbers the front was starving.
So if I had tuned to the front would that of helped? I'd say yes as far as performance. As far a fuel mileage, probably not. So if you're tuning your carb with any O2 sensor, be sure to use the front cylinder.
Or if you have enough disposable income you can convert to efi and both cylinders will get the correct amount of fuel.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:54 AM
phantomwcs
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tootal
Well nobody ever accused me of being sane! I usually don't add up my receipts because I usually don't want to know! However when I saw your post I went back to ebay and paypal and added things up.
It seems I departed with $705.73. Now the question is was it worth that. To me, absolutely. The driveability is so much improved. The mileage went way up too. I programmed the ecu to run at 14/1 afr under half throttle. It seems to be happy there. Over half it's at 13.2/1 afr. Then it runs like a scalded dog! Most of the parts were salvaged. Only rubber and plastic parts were bought new.
Can you post a list of the parts used, and what year/model of bike it went on? $700 is certainly reasonable to me!

Thanks!
Roger

Old 04-01-2020, 05:18 PM
tootal
Tourer

1. $34.95 FI coil
2. $249.95 Fuel pump assy.
3. $39.95 EFI wiring harness
4. $200.38 EFI Fuel tank (I got a great deal because it was a 100th anniversary tank but one emblem was gone but the glue was still there. Thanks to Fallen Cycles for getting me the VIN so I could get an emblem.
5. $35.47 Tank to throttlebody fuel line.
6. $41.33 Fuel line from pump to and including the disconnect.
7. $76.01 Tank medallion ( I know, bend over!)
8. $28.69 TPI sensor
9. $110.00 Throttlebody assy, included injectors and sensors. TPS was broken at wiring connector.
Total $816.73

I forgot about the Throttlebody assy. Some of these prices include shipping, some had free shipping. I ordered parts for a 2003 model since that's what was available at the salvage yard. 2002-2005 will intermix.

phantomwcs (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 03:20 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Switched to FI in my 03 when I went from 120 to a 131 in. Ran the Zippers Thundermax tune for that motor. power is instant fuel economy is better even 2up than when I had my 95in and riding solo. absolutely no issues going over the passes here. no experience yet running under 5000ft.

The following 2 users liked this post by Buddha4:
phantomwcs (04-03-2020), tootal (04-04-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 03:39 PM
tootal
Tourer

Originally Posted by tootal
1. $34.95 FI coil
2. $249.95 Fuel pump assy.
3. $39.95 EFI wiring harness
4. $200.38 EFI Fuel tank (I got a great deal because it was a 100th anniversary tank but one emblem was gone but the glue was still there. Thanks to Fallen Cycles for getting me the VIN so I could get an emblem.
5. $35.47 Tank to throttlebody fuel line.
6. $41.33 Fuel line from pump to and including the disconnect.
7. $76.01 Tank medallion ( I know, bend over!)
8. $28.69 TPI sensor
9. $110.00 Throttlebody assy, included injectors and sensors. TPS was broken at wiring connector.
Total $816.73

I forgot about the Throttlebody assy. Some of these prices include shipping, some had free shipping. I ordered parts for a 2003 model since that's what was available at the salvage yard. 2002-2005 will intermix.
Well my memory is obviously failing me. Buddha4 just reminded me, I used the Thundermax for my ecm. So now you can add the cost of that! $900.00! Now you can get a used stock ecm for a lot less. I've seen them from $150.00 to $250.00. So basically to go back to stock injection will cost a grand.