Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Possible accelerator pump issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 12:49 PM
bcarrot28
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible accelerator pump issue?

Working on my dads 97 fxsts. Stock cv carb, aftermarket air filter and drag pipes. Initially running terrible through entire rpm and load range. Found the cam sensor melted(stock tan sensor) and tore down carb. Replaced the ignition with a dyna 2ki, still using vacuum switch. Carburetor was spotless inside. Rebuilt carb with new seals and accelerator pump diaphragm, also replaced the vacuum slide due to being partially melted (engine was backfiring through carb before ignition was replaced) and the slide was worn. Ran the entire disassembled carb and components through and ultrasonic cleaner. When initially put back together the accelerator pump was not spraying. Blew through the nozzle and it started working. After sitting overnight I rode it today for the first time since repairs and the bike is starting and running great and making great power but is still intermittently hickuping and bobling on initial turn in of the throttle. It seems to be an accelerator pump issue but I cannot locate the parts to repair the nozzle or what I assume is a check valve under the nozzle.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:16 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 619 Posts

You can very carefully remove the nozzle from the floatbowl in order to get access to the valve and to clean. Gently turn the bowl upside down and clamp the nozzel in a vise( protected of course), the gently work the bowl up off the nozzel, clean the passages, soak the nozzle over night, blow with compressed air and reinstall.
m

Old 01-26-2020, 11:35 AM
Tileman2692
Road Warrior
Received 549 Likes on 281 Posts

Happened to my carbed 1200. Had a hell of time, I'd go a few Mls and stall out......blah blah blah. Tore the carb and rebuilt it. Then a few weeks later the effin tank liner did the same thing. Go to rid of the liner and ran the tank with out it, there's enough solvents in the gas too keep the rust out