Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

96 springer fxsts

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 09:19 PM
shaggieshapiro
Road Master
Received 669 Likes on 285 Posts

Have you checked that the idle stop screw is in and not out? As mentioned, is the needle jet installed upside down? Is the throttle cable loose? Did you adjust the air/fuel mixture properly? Remember, clockwise to make run richer, counterclockwise to run leaner. However, when carb is on bike turning clockwise is really turning counter clockwise. Adjusting a carb is not rocket science. There are a ton of videos on youtube to show you step by step how to adjust.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:44 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,045 Likes on 3,436 Posts

Originally Posted by 35se
Ive rebuilt carbs before on other bikes and never had the issues listed. I got into this one because the bike wont start and was told thats the issue. Was told there previous person might not have known what he is doing but going through it everything seems to check out. No missing pieces and everything is clean.

im no mechanic but can easily put things back where they belong. And even the 50 videos I've watched after initially coming up short say petty much the same thing ive been doin.

But appreciate the help guess it was wrong to come here for advice.
Some will criticize, some are actually trying to help. Don't leave because of that and sometimes you got to take some s*** with a grain of salt depending on where it's coming from... Anyways I'm starting to wonder if it's possible you have compression in this motor maybe you're not literally sucking the fuel in.... How does the motor sound when cranking?

The following users liked this post:
t150vej (03-16-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 01:28 PM
35se
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Some will criticize, some are actually trying to help. Don't leave because of that and sometimes you got to take some s*** with a grain of salt depending on where it's coming from... Anyways I'm starting to wonder if it's possible you have compression in this motor maybe you're not literally sucking the fuel in.... How does the motor sound when cranking?
yeah you're right, ill keep updating for those interested.

Here is clip of trying to start the bike and then giving it a little throttle to replicate the gas spittin out.

Old 03-15-2020, 01:34 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Is that air blowing outward? Has the top end been removed or the cam chest opened?

Old 03-15-2020, 01:43 PM
35se
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gas spirts. And no only the carb, ive not done anything past that

Old 03-15-2020, 01:53 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,043 Likes on 5,577 Posts

If that carb was put away full of gas,and it dried...every passage in the carb is going to be stopped up, and require soaking and clearing out...

Add to that someone was in it before you..and there are several parts in that carb that can be installed backward/upside down...might want to consider buying a new carb...

Old 03-15-2020, 07:54 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,833 Likes on 970 Posts

Lets get back to the basics, what repair manual do you have for the bike?

Is the bike getting a spark?

Remove the plugs, keep them connected to the plug wires, and have them grounded out on the engine. Crank the engine and watch the plugs. Tell us if you have spark at both plugs.

Original nose cone cam sensor?

Do you have a parts diagram of the carb?

Old 03-16-2020, 07:12 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,743 Likes on 1,137 Posts

From reading the posts and watching the video in post #23, I'd say you have a valve train problem.

It's never going to run blowing fuel mixture back out to the air cleaner side...

Curious about your mechanic friend doing a vacuum check, since it won't even run. Was it a compression test he did?

Old 03-16-2020, 10:34 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,623 Likes on 2,732 Posts

Thought I'd pretty much seen it all, but I never saw gas spitting out like that before. I'd pull the carb off enough to put my hand over the intake and see if it sucked or tried to blow back past my hand. Shouldn't be any blowback, only sucking. You have blowback from the manifold (manifold gasket the carb goes in, no need to pull that) and it's a motor problem, carb might be fine. If it is sucking, I'd bet on the carb and time to pull it and figure out what's wrong with it. I've seen plenty of carbs that needed work, and none of them did that, but always a first time, you might be lucky and it's the carb, lot easier and cheaper to fix that a motor problem usually.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:04 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

That video definitely looks like the gas is blowing out from the main jet, which makes me think at least one of the intake valves is open on the compression stroke. So either cam or valve issue most likely not carb. That was why I asked about top end or cam cover removal.

Quick Reply: 96 springer fxsts