Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Petcock Leaking + Vacuum Line missing

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 08:34 AM
runnerup1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petcock Leaking + Vacuum Line missing

Hey all, I just picked up a 2003 Sportster 883 1200 conversion, after parking in garage the fumes were far from normal. After more a quick look, I realized that the petcock was missing the rear vacuum line so I assumed it was dumping fuel into the carb the whole time, not to mention it was leaking itself. The leak is either from the tank or from the petcock, it looks like the seal between the petcock and the tank is bad so I was going to remove the tank and rebuild it anyway. Couple questions:

- Does this rebuild kit not fit with my petcock? https://www.outlawracingproducts.com...m-2003-8874261 Looks like it would but I wanted to double-check. Also, does anyone know if there is a part number for the petcock nut? Last owner mangled it and if I am taking if off I would like to replace if if possible

- The bike runs without the vacuum line, it isn't plugged or capped that I can tell, and the vacuum line on the carb looks like it runs straight into the VOES. Should this run in the configuration it is in? I would like to keep the vacuum petcock and get it working correctly but am slightly lost on what to do next. From what I see it should connect to the VOES through a Y adapter and into the carb.

Thanks for the help. Here are some pictures of the issue

Last edited by runnerup1; 09-03-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

You can find most part numbers using a parts website like Ronnies.

As your bike runs without the vacuum line to the petcock, it suggests the vacuum feature no longer works! Personally I would simply replace your tap with a non-vacuum type, often to be found new for not very much on Ebay. Alternatively you can replace it with a quality brand such as Pingel, although they ain't as cheap! You are right, there is normally a T or Y junction in the vacuum line, to accommodate both carb and tap, but you have the VOES connected, which is the more important IMHO.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:21 AM
runnerup1
6th Gear

Thanks man, I have been going back and forth between those 2 options and I think I will more than likely just replace it with a manual one as you suggested. I like the idea of the piece of mind if I forget to shut it off- but it is simpler with less to go wrong (mechanically).

So I understand, if the vacuum port is connected directly to the VOES, nothing else needs to be done for a manual petcock conversion?

Old 09-03-2019, 11:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Yes, quite right, that is how my ole 1990 Glide came when new, before the vacuum taps came into fashion - and made us a little bit more lazy with not having to switch them off!

Old 09-03-2019, 08:29 PM
runnerup1
6th Gear

On the other side of the tank it has a vapor line outlet that is disconnected, what does that vapor line usually go to?

Old 09-04-2019, 05:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by runnerup1
On the other side of the tank it has a vapor line outlet that is disconnected, what does that vapor line usually go to?
Not sure, but may be an over-fill pipe. Check the link I gave above, which may show it. If so run a suitable hose down to below the underside of your bike, so any fuel runs straight onto the road - not any hot parts!

Old 09-05-2019, 06:04 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,101 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Originally Posted by runnerup1
This may actually be the vent into the tank. If it is, then it isn't connected to anything.

Open the fuel cap and there should be a metal tube sticking up above the fuel level, try running a thin wire down that tube and see if it come out the tube you are looking at. If it does then this is the air intake and should not be connected to anything unless you are in California. If in Cali. look for a charcoal canister some where, it will go there.

But if the fuel petcock is disconnected this is probably also.

BTW: That "nut" should not be that beat-up. Obviously destroyed by previous owner. If I remember correctly that is almost a finger tight connection, there may be a flat nylon washer between the tank and petcock. A non vacuum one may be your best bet. There was a time people would take the guts out and turn them around so the spring would hold the petcock open instead of closed.(not the manual valve) the vacuum diaphragm is probably split causing your leak.