Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

VOES on mikuni hsr 42

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 06:45 PM
eugene janvrin
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VOES on mikuni hsr 42

I have a 93 dyna low rider 1340 with a mikuni hsr 42 carb, a crane cams HI-4 race ignition and screamin eagle coil, plugs and wires. It also has edelbrock performer heads. i bought this bike off a lady that didnt know anything about it and im still learning... the mikuni carb has a VOES port on it and as soon as i plug the VOES in the bike dies, unless i open the slide all the way with the idle screw. When i do that the bike runs like **** at quarter and half throttle. When i unplug the vacuum line i can close the slide up more but the bike still runs bad at low rpm.. but if i switch the HI-4 to race mode it run good just burns alot of fuel. I have replaced the VOES, also the bike runs extremely rich no matter what combo i use

Old 08-04-2019, 10:08 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

voes is an emissions thingy and has two modes, adv or retard.
has the machine been timed correctly, usually with the voes in the retard mode but check the fsm.
another issue is does the ignition system have a mode for voes? is it selected??
running a machine is the retard mode will cause lack of throttle response but it still should still run
do not over look carb issues
i do not run voes, run rpm based timing, runs like a scalded dog!!!!

Old 08-05-2019, 06:38 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 306 Likes on 211 Posts

Are you sure that you are using the vacuum port and not the carb vent line?

Old 08-07-2019, 06:20 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 306 Likes on 211 Posts

You’re welcome-��

Old 09-26-2019, 05:31 PM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I know this is old but I have to agree, it looks like he may be looking at the vent port. Do not feel silly the can be easily mistaken.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:34 AM
eugene janvrin
Stage II

Hey guys, sorry i never replied. I never got a notification about your replies. Any how to aswer some questions. Yes i was connected to the voes nozzle on the mikuni not the vent tube. Also my ignition does support O.E.M with V.O.E.S. after posting this thread i removed my vose and plugged the two wires into each other and set my ignition to race mode.. and the bike loved it only downside was fuel mileage also once i plug that V.O.E.S port on the carb the bike dies.. i just bought a carb rebuild kit and a jet kit and am about to put it back together with the V.O.E.S.. ill keep you posted this time

Old 06-18-2020, 12:20 AM
Juha Tavi
Stage I

Hi
How did it go?
I have same kind of problems with my bike. Have also HSR 42 with Hi-4 ignition.

Originally Posted by eugene janvrin
Hey guys, sorry i never replied. I never got a notification about your replies. Any how to aswer some questions. Yes i was connected to the voes nozzle on the mikuni not the vent tube. Also my ignition does support O.E.M with V.O.E.S. after posting this thread i removed my vose and plugged the two wires into each other and set my ignition to race mode.. and the bike loved it only downside was fuel mileage also once i plug that V.O.E.S port on the carb the bike dies.. i just bought a carb rebuild kit and a jet kit and am about to put it back together with the V.O.E.S.. ill keep you posted this time

Old 06-18-2020, 08:13 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

in the race mode, it mimics the old hd centrifugal adv curve which is full adv around 2k rpm.
voes can give you better fuel mileage and throttle response but not that great, i do not run it. timing is important since if too early can cause the engine to fight itself. also a bad mixture can cause issues, both rich and lean. tackle one issue at a time. timing is the easiest to eliminate. perhaps the curve is not proper for the application if adjustable.