Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Popping and Backfire-- How do I fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 09:41 PM
TeachersOnHarleys
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping and Backfire-- How do I fix this?

I'll start with the question: How do I fix this? Bike idles, rides, but the carb pops and backfires with increase in RPMs. I read that it may be vacuum lines? The bike is an 2002 Sportster 1200 C. Original carb, fuel lines, and hoses. A lot of the rubber is cracking and obviously needs to be replaced. I have the mechanical manual-- do I just order all new fuel lines and hose? No clue on this one?

Long story, familiar story I am sure... Loved to ride all the time, got married, baby came along, and so there the bike sits in the garage. Would love to take it out without having the popping jerking and stopping going on. Help would greatly appreciate.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:21 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,101 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Back firing from the carb indicates a lean fuel mixture. Nothing to do with fuel lines. Check manifold gaskets and carb gasket with wd40. Spray around gaskets while engine is at idle and listen for a RPM change. If it does then change which ever gasket caused the change.

If no change than you will have to give the low speed needle a 1/16 turn open. (Also called the Idle jet)

Since it appears the problem has been with the bike awhile and it happens on acceleration, guessing it is the spigot gasket that is split on the inside. This is the gasket that connects the carb to the manifold. The more it backfires the worst the gasket will get.

The following users liked this post:
LocoLocal (07-19-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 04:35 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8,540 Likes on 2,494 Posts

Like Kabear said:
"If no change than you will have to give the low speed needle a 1/16 turn open. (Also called the Idle jet)"
For "popping" on deceleration when there's no leaks anywhere, that should do it. Might take a bit more than 1/16th of a turn.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:42 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,226 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Do what Kabear has suggested for sure but if the bike has been sitting in the garage for an extended period, pull the carb and give it a thorough cleaning to make sure all orifices are open, diaphragm is in good condition, etc.

The following users liked this post:
LocoLocal (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 01:21 PM
LocoLocal
Tourer
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Kabear
Back firing from the carb indicates a lean fuel mixture. Nothing to do with fuel lines. Check manifold gaskets and carb gasket with wd40. Spray around gaskets while engine is at idle and listen for a RPM change. If it does then change which ever gasket caused the change.

If no change than you will have to give the low speed needle a 1/16 turn open. (Also called the Idle jet)

Since it appears the problem has been with the bike awhile and it happens on acceleration, guessing it is the spigot gasket that is split on the inside. This is the gasket that connects the carb to the manifold. The more it backfires the worst the gasket will get.
This is fantastic, simple and concise advice. Now I know who to message with my carb issues!

Old 07-19-2019, 01:48 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,331 Likes on 3,182 Posts

Might also have to increase the low idle screw.
After my cam upgrade I had carburetor popping on deceleration, changed all 3 manifold gaskets but it didn't help. I only got red of it by upping the idle to 1100RPM warm.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:05 PM
Tom Keller
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the rules for a HD, if it pops through the carburetor its timing. If it pops through the exhaust its carbonation.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:57 AM
Rsbenden
Tourer

Received 256 Likes on 126 Posts

Since ya got a baby......been there,spend an hr every day doing something on your bike n soon it won't need anything but ridden. Adress all the old and cracking rubber any seals carb to manifold,manifold to heads. My bike was acting up n a similar manner when I bought it n it was a combo of air/fuel and the enricher (choke) was loaded up w carbon. Good luck

Old 08-09-2019, 07:05 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 636 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Kabear

Some real sound advice here. Only thing I would add is make sure you are running fresh fuel. If it's been sitting awhile, it could've gone bad.