Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Reserve pet cock and vacuum line question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 08:12 PM
Fire29
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reserve pet **** and vacuum line question

Hello all.

I have a question. I rode to work today, bike ran great. I thought I would switch tank to reserve to run more fuel out before I started running non oxy. Don't know why but I did. I was headed to the gas station to fuel up and I made it a block and my bike died. Pushed it home, and took the petcock off and drained the fuel. I noticed that the vacuum line was not on.

I just got the bike this summer and have never turned the fuel off or to reserve. So would the bike run fine with the vacuum line off? Something happened when I switched it to reserve. I took the fuel line off when I was looking at it and no fuel came out from the tank. It's like it is stuck in the off position. I can't get the bike started cause it's not getting any fuel. So.... What do I do?

It's an 06 softail deluxe. Not fuel injected

Thanks in advance

Old 09-05-2016, 11:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

The tap will not normally allow fuel to flow if the vacuum pipe is disconnected, so you will not be able to start the bike. When the starter turns the engine over it creates a partial vacuum in the inlet manifold, which opens the gas tap, allowing fuel to flow to the carb. Once running the engine maintains that vacuum. Assuming the vacuum hose is OK your bike should run if you reconnect it. However having come off I suggest you replace it with a new one, yours may have split or gone hard and be no longer fit for purpose.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Cobra1
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,296 Likes on 529 Posts

You can modify it so it will not need vacuum. Take the side cover off. Take the spring and then the diaphragm out. Put the spring back in and then the diaphragm. Put cover back on. It now is on and flows fuel all,of the time. Put a cap on the carb port. One less thing to go wrong.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:33 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,010 Likes on 4,063 Posts

Did the motor any time cough before it quit?? If so the motor could have blown the line off on a good cough.. I haven't run vacuum petcocks for years but I've blown a number of rubber caps off intake manifolds where the petcock used to attach..

Old 09-17-2016, 08:35 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra1
You can modify it so it will not need vacuum. Take the side cover off. Take the spring and then the diaphragm out. Put the spring back in and then the diaphragm. Put cover back on. It now is on and flows fuel all,of the time. Put a cap on the carb port. One less thing to go wrong.
If you do this, and you ever have a needle and seat problem, your cylinders and case will be full of fuel.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:54 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,416 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I run them without the vacuum, but I am also in the habit of always turning the petcock on and off. Looks funny when I'm on an newer EFI bike and reach for the petcock - OLD HABIT.
More than likely the vacuum line was loose and when you reached for the petcock you knocked it off without noticing.
Replace the vacuum line as suggested and keep riding.
Still, get in the habit of turning it on and off. You may take off a few times and run out, but all you have to do is turn it on while rolling and keep going. It beats having an empty tank, flooded carb, or cylinders full of gas.