Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Carb rebuilt...now for troubleshooting...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 02:39 PM
chromelens
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you use the correct drill bit when you drilled out the slide hole? You should feel resistance when you push up the slide and hear a vacuum sound.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:19 PM
Dewyz1100
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the drill bit supplied with the V&H kit, the smaller one, not the larger one meant to drill out the mixture plug...

I'll have to check for the vacuum sound and get back to you...

Old 12-25-2015, 08:12 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,048 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Hole in the diaphragm or it's not seated properly. Use silicone grease around the edge of the diaphragm to keep it properly positioned when putting the cover on, but before you seat it, hold it up to the light to look for holes. YD

Old 12-28-2015, 02:12 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,224 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Hole in the diaphragm or it's not seated properly. Use silicone grease around the edge of the diaphragm to keep it properly positioned when putting the cover on, but before you seat it, hold it up to the light to look for holes. YD
No issues with drilling the hole for more vacuum as long as you followed instructions. If the slide isn't coming up, you are losing vacuum somewhere......check for vacuum leaks at the carb boot, intake seals and diaphragm.

Don't disagree with anything others have posted. However, I have proven to myself after much trial and error that the CV carb is easier to tune and will perform much better with OEM parts. I have done Dynojet and Yost kits with the CV44 on my all bore 107" motor and dyno results have proven that I can easily obtain more HP and TQ by using OEM parts. If I were you, I would put the aftermarket "trick" stuff aside and start over with all OEM parts for that carb.

Ask any competent tuner with CV experience and they will tell you the same thing. Owners bring their bikes in for a tune with all the trick carb parts and the tuners replace those parts with OEM parts to get the best tune.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:32 PM
Dewyz1100
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Don't mind me...

Thanks for the suggestions and information folks... I tore the carb back apart and found the problem...

The problem was that I'm a dumb *** and did not assemble the needle in the slide properly...had it on top of the plastic spring guide, instead of underneath it...

I have not had safe driving weather in WA the last couple of days, but as soon as I do, I'll take her out for a proper ride to judge the tuning...

For now, she starts and runs great...even throttle grabs don't cause her issues anymore...time will tell...

Concerning OEM parts... I did end up getting a replacement OEM main jet tube, along with a few jet sizes on either side of my original...so if I am not satisfied with the aftermarket kit, I will certainly go back to OEM...

Thanks again everyone!

Old 12-28-2015, 08:47 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,224 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Glad you found the problem but you are not the first to do that. As for OEM parts, they will perform better and will usually get better mileage than after market trick kits. Good luck with the weather.