Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

L-joint

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 10:05 PM
roxyfat
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L-joint

Hi ALL,

My Fatboy Carburator L-JOINT is leaking (breach) . It seems that's obsolete, not available at HD store.
Can somebody know if I can get it somewhere.
Thank you.

In the CarBur layout, it's number 47

Attached Thumbnails L-joint-l-joint.png   L-joint-carbur.png  
Old 11-11-2015, 10:00 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

yup, gas inlet fitting...plastic one breaks, don't it?

Googled your part number and came up with volumes of info...most of it on these forums.

Anyway, try HD replacement part number 27371-76A, they are out there, or one of the dozens of aftermarket brass replacement fittings out there....

Old 11-11-2015, 10:24 PM
roxyfat
3rd Gear

Thank you Skinman13. I will get it on E-bay.

Do you know if there's some glue or something I have to put around the part before to fit together with the carburator so it will be stanch. I got the kind of brass one on Ebay from Orangecycle1 seller.
Thanks again.

Last edited by roxyfat; 11-13-2015 at 11:24 AM. Reason: more advice needed
Old 11-15-2015, 01:28 PM
black bart2
Intermediate

You'd be better off purchasing your brass fuel inlet from CVO. Their part are excellent, and all fit and function properly. Usually, in my past experience, the generic EBay stuff is crap. It's your carb, get what make sense to you.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:54 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I went to my local dealer and bought the replacement part number...cost a buck or two more but it was the right part and brass.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:26 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 461 Posts

I followed most of the steps below to replace the fuel inlet on my 94 FLHTP CV carb.

I did remove the old inlet as described below. In step 7 I used a deep socket instead of tubing.
I keep the inlet facing down when I tapped for the 1/4-20 bolt to keep debris from falling into the carb.

I kept the new brass inlet in the freezer overnight and took it out just prior to installing it.
I also used a hair dryer to heat the area of the carb where the inlet gets pressed into.
Instead of taping the inlet into the carb body I was able the use a vise to press the inlet into place. Go slow and position the inlet so that in goes in straight.
The whole job was easy and I had no leaks or problems. I did not clean the carb or disassemble it other than the fuel inlet.
The post below was copied from another forum. Good luck.

Yes, it can. Here's the info including HD part # for the brass replacement.

New brass inlet is HD jpart # 27371-76

3. Note the position of the elbow and mark it on the carburetor body. This will allow proper positioning of the new elbow.
4. Break off the plastic portion of the original fuel inlet elbow. This will leave the brass portion projecting from the side of the carburetor.
5. Using a ¼-20 or ¼-28 tap, tap the remaining brass piece approximately ½” deep.
6. Remove the tap and insert a ¼" x 3-4" long piece of all thread into the now threaded hole. Do not go so deep as to damage the carburetor body.
7. Use a piece of tubing that is large enough to go around the outside of the opening to act as a spacer. Place a washer on top of the spacer and over the bolt. Thread a nut down onto the washer and gently tighten, pulling the
brass piece out.

IMPORTANT! DO NOT SKIP THE NEXT STEP!

8. After removing the brass piece, wash the carburetor body with hot soapy water. Remove any debris or chips.
9. Mount the body in a vice with the inlet hole facing up.
10. Heat the carburetor inlet area. This will ease installation of the new elbow.
11. Position the elbow lining the elbow portion up with the mark you made previously.
12. Quickly insert the elbow into the carburetor body. You may need to gently tap it in to seat it. Do not distort the body!
13. After positioning and installing the new elbow, thoroughly clean the carburetor body.
14. Reassemble the carburetor following your service manual. Install new seals and gaskets as necessary. Check for proper float height.
15. Reinstall the carburetor and check for leaks before doing a test ride. __________________
Ed Y
Retired Navy, MCPO

Old 11-17-2015, 10:02 PM
roxyfat
3rd Gear

Thanks all for all the advice.