Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

jetting issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 06:02 AM
ThrillKilla
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default jetting issue?

I have kind of an interesting thing going on. I have a 95 softail custom. 1340, with 25,000 miles.
High flow K&N air, with straight drag pipes. Just bought the bike last winter.
Previous owner had no idea about the jetting.
I seem to go thru fuel very quickly and during shifting (in between gears) its almost like there is extra fuel to burn. I get no pop or bog, but the engine doesnt "pause" during the shift.
Ive run without a filter, for a minute, to try more flow with the fuel, but it really doesnt change much.
Any ideas on what kind of jet I should be looking to start with? (Im in Ohio)
Is it even a jetting problem? I mean the bike idles, runs fine other than fast fuel burn and seems abit loud. Im I lean??

Old 09-20-2015, 04:32 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,058 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Not sure what you mean by "pause" during shift?

Track your mileage if you can, and probably not a bad idea to pull the carb and see what jetting you have. If the bike is new to you, it would be a good idea.

How does your plugs look? What about the inside of your pipes? Lean jetting will make the bike run great, but bad for the engine...YD

Old 09-21-2015, 07:18 PM
ThrillKilla
Advanced

thanks for the reply. I think Ill pull the carb to see what jet I have in there. Lean is making sense now. everything runs great but I do "feel" the engine almost hitting really hard. if that makes sense? did an oil job just to be sure oil was fine. seems a bit dark, but who know how long its been since last change.
the drag pipes do have covers on the top ends....? maybe discolored under? Ill have to check.
I put new plugs basically the first day. Ill have to pull them and give a check.

The noise/gas burn I hear during shifting is the exact same when I downshift for a stop. When I pull in the clutch and down shift, the motor doesnt get quiet or pause for a sec, it continues to pop (but not really a pop like back fire)
lol. hope this all makes sense......

Old 09-21-2015, 07:34 PM
ThrillKilla
Advanced

Lean would explain the gas consumption correct? Ive been going thru lots of gas. or would that be rich Im confused.c

Old 09-25-2015, 07:13 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ThrillKilla
Lean would explain the gas consumption correct? Ive been going thru lots of gas. or would that be rich Im confused.c
"Lean" means not enough gas, however, your symptoms sound like lean. I think the noise your describing is a burble or faint pop on decelleration. Can be considered normal if all else is good. Your drag pipes will rob you of power and torque. You really need to look at your spark plugs and see if your running lean. That is the easiest way to tell if lean or rich. Match them with many of the pics posted here and on the internet to "read" your plugs.

Tell me your MPG's or why yuou feel you have "high consumption". YD

Old 09-25-2015, 07:39 AM
ThrillKilla
Advanced

Hey Yankee....
My mileage per gallon is probably only 25mpg. I do lots of city riding.
The "burble" is a great way to describe the sound.

I pulled the plugs and the front looks "normal" slight dry and white, and the rear looks to have a little carbon. not wet.
I also think I screwed up and have been putting 87 octane in the bike.
Not even thinking....
Could this explain sounds and mileage?

Old 09-25-2015, 07:01 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

No, if your bike is stock or stage 1 then 87 octane is fine and what your manual calls for.

If your getting that bad of mileage then something is wrong, I would say way rich but your plug reading does not sound overly rich. Can you post a pic of your plugs?

Probably not a bad idea to pull carb and find out what your slow (idle) jet is, and your main jet, and if your needle has any shims and what kind of needle. To me it sounds like you have a dyno jet kit installed. Those will suck the fuel, but usually show it with black carboned up plugs. Also check your float level. All your specs can be found here and in your manual.

If you don't have ping or spark knock, then 87 octane on stock compression is fine. Is your mileage city miles? Do you have a windshield? YD

Old 09-25-2015, 07:04 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Sorry, I see you said city miles, what about windshield? YD

Old 09-26-2015, 03:47 PM
ThrillKilla
Advanced

Hey Yankee, thanks for the advice Bro.
Ill try and post a pic of the plugs if I didnt delete them.
No windshield.....It does seem like excess fuel in the carb. Im really gonna throw a loop and say I want to install a hypercharger.
anyways, Im gonna pull the carb and take a look.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:28 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Save your money....don't buy the hypercharger. Your stock air cleaner with a K&N is fine.

Need to get your carb dialed in before anything else. Target areas:

Remove and clean carb, check function of accelerator pump, find out what slow and main jetting you have, check float height, check needle, inspect diaphragm/piston slide for holes and function. Clean everything and every passage with carb cleaner. Check function of linkage while your at it.

Check intake seals for leakage, check carb to manifold gasket for leakage. Make sure manifold and carb are in proper in alignment so your not causing gaps or leaks when reassembling everything.

Once everything is clean and reinstalled, see how the bike runs and do plug readings. Go from there. Am I rich (too much fuel), or am I lean (not enough fuel). When plugs and the inside of your pipes show the proper readings, and you don't have any pinging under load, your good.

I will say this again get rid of the drag pipes. They sound good, but your loosing performance. All the info on your carb and tuning, checking seals, drag pipes, etc can be found here. Time to do some homework. YD

Quick Reply: jetting issue?