Canada BC | Alberta | Saskatchewan | Manitoba Ontario | Quebec | Maritime Provinces

Quebec - Labrador - Newfoundland

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:24 AM
questor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quebec - Labrador - Newfoundland

Planning on taking a trip this summer from the states, I have the following questions:

1. When I depart Baie-Comeau Quebec and head on over to Blanc-Sablon Labrador with over night stay in Labrador City & Goose Bay. My bagger has about a 170 mile range, are there any gas stations along: Routes 389, 500, 510 & 530?

2. Ferry to Newfoundland from Blanc-Sablon?

3. Ferry to Nova Scotia from Newfoundland?

Thanks

Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 PM
true_north
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by questor
Planning on taking a trip this summer from the states, I have the following questions:

1. When I depart Baie-Comeau Quebec and head on over to Blanc-Sablon Labrador with over night stay in Labrador City & Goose Bay. My bagger has about a 170 mile range, are there any gas stations along: Routes 389, 500, 510 & 530?

Thanks
Most people travelling to Newfoundland take the ferry from Sydney, Nova Scotia to either St John's (Newfoundland) or Port aux Basques (Newfoundland). I've never taken the ferry route you're suggesting, it's across the Strait of Belle Isle. I have been across Newfoundland several times though. Here is a link for Ferry Info, pay attention to reservations.

http://www.tw.gov.nl.ca/ferryservice...les/index.html

They don't call Newfoundland the, "Rock" for nothing. If you make the trip I think you'll find Newfoundlanders unique.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 AM
flstfblo11
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Thanks
1. I am unfamiliar with route 389 through Quebec but presume it's paved, if not, you can load the bike on the train and take that to Lab City as I recall.
Routes 500, 510 & 530 of the Trans-Labrador highway are NOT PAVED! I would not ride on those with your bike unless it's a Dual or Motorcross!! A few have been killed already on this highway riding bike and they were seasoned riders with BMW duals, etc..
Gas stations are also non-existant on these routes and you have to take a supply of gas with you as well as a Sat Phone, cell phones have no to limited service.

2. There is a ferry from St. Barbe on the Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland over to Blanc-Sablon.

3. Use the North Sydney Ferry to get to Newfoundland via Port Aux Basques and drive up the West Coast of the island to get to St. Barbe. It's scenic and you will enjoy the ride be it a long one.

Any more questions, ask away, I'm from Newfoundland!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:52 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,866 Likes on 3,508 Posts

I was gonna say ...take gas and if you see a gas station, stop and fill up...

Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 AM
questor
Road Master

Originally Posted by flstfblo11
1. I am unfamiliar with route 389 through Quebec but presume it's paved, if not, you can load the bike on the train and take that to Lab City as I recall.
Routes 500, 510 & 530 of the Trans-Labrador highway are NOT PAVED! I would not ride on those with your bike unless it's a Dual or Motorcross!! A few have been killed already on this highway riding bike and they were seasoned riders with BMW duals, etc..
Gas stations are also non-existant on these routes and you have to take a supply of gas with you as well as a Sat Phone, cell phones have no to limited service.

2. There is a ferry from St. Barbe on the Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland over to Blanc-Sablon.

3. Use the North Sydney Ferry to get to Newfoundland via Port Aux Basques and drive up the West Coast of the island to get to St. Barbe. It's scenic and you will enjoy the ride be it a long one.

Any more questions, ask away, I'm from Newfoundland!
Have been detoured and just returned to site:

The routes are from Page 73 of the 2012 HOG Touring Handbook, dang didn't realize they would include unpaved roads (hmm, maybe that is why they are red).

Newfoundland using the same map on page 73 route 430, 230 & 210 are in red, paved or unpaved?

Thanks

Old 02-04-2013, 05:27 AM
flstfblo11
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Have been detoured and just returned to site:

Newfoundland using the same map on page 73 route 430, 230 & 210 are in red, paved or unpaved?

Thanks
Those routes are paved.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:50 PM
questor
Road Master

Originally Posted by flstfblo11
Those routes are paved.
Thank you very much!

Between now & July, I will start writing down questions and get back.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:19 PM
questor
Road Master

Question on spring assisted pocket knife, good-to-go?

http://www.basspro.com/Kershaw-Ken-O...ductextensions