Canada BC | Alberta | Saskatchewan | Manitoba Ontario | Quebec | Maritime Provinces

looking for route Toronto to Sturgis 3 day ride .

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 08:05 PM
pfbmgd
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default looking for route Toronto to Sturgis 3 day ride .

Looking for route Toronto to Sturgis 3 day ride . Trying to avoid the slab as much as possible .

Old 02-15-2024, 09:36 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 255 Posts

i know that route pretty well, so here goes:

- From Toronto, take the 401 and then 402 west to Sarnia, and cross into The U.S.

- Go NORTH, not south, because south is ugly commuter and trucking freeways, including passing through Detroit, Ghetto area of Chicago, and toll highways. Instead, go Hwy 69 west to Flint, then north on I-75 past Mackinaw Bridge (Spectacular, but careful in cross winds) to Hwy 2 west in Wisconsin along the scenic Lake Michigan shoreline

- Take Hwy 2 west to Escanaba, and then Hwy 41 past green Bay, sitll on the Lake Michigan shoreline, and continue to Neena, WI. There, catch Hwy 10 west and follow signs to Tomha, WI.

- At Tomah, catch I-90 west (NOT I-94 which shares the I-90 route at that point), and contiue through the remainder of WI and across Southern Minnesota. The scenery here is fine until you are almost completely out of MInnesota, and then into South Dakota, where I-90 becomes boring to Sturgis. This is the only boring portion of the trip till you get close to Sturgis.

Nice, scenic trip. It is almost exactly 24 hours of riding per Google Maps, which fits your 3 day criteria.

Jim G

-

The following users liked this post:
pfbmgd (02-16-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 09:40 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,702 Likes on 1,371 Posts

21 hours via slab. You don’t leave yourself much time is 3 days is your ride design. 94 to 80 basically past Chicago. Me, I’d take 400 to Sault St Marie and then 2 west to 210. That’s 25 hours road time. 9-10 hour days at a min. But a much nicer ride. I’ve done it the other way, headed east.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:01 PM
Fast66
Tourer
Received 286 Likes on 126 Posts

Ride across MI to Ludington, take the SS Badger across to Manitowoc. I-43 or 29, Doc’s Harley in Bonduel. 29 across to twin cities. 169 to 60 to I-90 nice ride. I love Mackinac bridge and UP but the ferry is cool too. It was down for part of last summer for dock repairs.

Old 02-16-2024, 06:47 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,277 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Only 3 days and riding interstate would be hard for you.

Keep in mind the interstates out west are just a highway with another lane. 90 once you get past Saint Paul is just country riding but faster, Instead of 6 of corn through MN make 5-4. Sioux Falls and the plains on 90 is just plains like you see anywhere else.

People disagree with me, but I prefer 90 and 94 out west to the highways because you don't have to pass semis, you have an extra lane.

The congestion is going to be in the east. If you had all the time in the world, you could enter US at Sault Ste Marie, take US 2 west for a bit and cut down to I90 on the other side of St Pail or your choosing, if you had all the time in the world.

Old 02-16-2024, 09:10 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Speaking of all the time in the world, that's why I did not recommend either of the Great Lakes ferries as part of the trip.They are a nice elelment of a cross country trip, BUT you need to add more time than 3 days because those ferries (a) run at far lower speeds than highway vehicles and (b) they do NOT run and arrive "when you arrive", but rather run on limited schedules. If you really want to enjoy this trip to the utmost, add 1 or 2 days to each way.

Heck, you are going to be a short distance from Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park, right at the time of year when the weather there is most conducive for riding, so consider addingthat as another 2 day extension.

Jim G

pfbmgd (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 09:20 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,852 Likes on 19,334 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
i know that route pretty well, so here goes:

- From Toronto, take the 401 and then 402 west to Sarnia, and cross into The U.S.

- Go NORTH, not south, because south is ugly commuter and trucking freeways, including passing through Detroit, Ghetto area of Chicago, and toll highways. Instead, go Hwy 69 west to Flint, then north on I-75 past Mackinaw Bridge (Spectacular, but careful in cross winds) to Hwy 2 west in Wisconsin along the scenic Lake Michigan shoreline

- Take Hwy 2 west to Escanaba, and then Hwy 41 past green Bay, sitll on the Lake Michigan shoreline, and continue to Neena, WI. There, catch Hwy 10 west and follow signs to Tomha, WI.

- At Tomah, catch I-90 west (NOT I-94 which shares the I-90 route at that point), and contiue through the remainder of WI and across Southern Minnesota. The scenery here is fine until you are almost completely out of MInnesota, and then into South Dakota, where I-90 becomes boring to Sturgis. This is the only boring portion of the trip till you get close to Sturgis.

Nice, scenic trip. It is almost exactly 24 hours of riding per Google Maps, which fits your 3 day criteria.

Jim G

-
I've gone this way several times ... Basically from the Detroit area up through the UP and across Wisconsin, Minnesota and South Dakota ... Approximately 1200 miles avoiding the Interstates with the exception of the lower part of Michigan ... It's about 240 miles from Toronto to Flint which would add about 200 miles to your trip ... Less than 500 miles per day and time is on your side

Old 02-16-2024, 09:35 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I've gone this way several times ... Basically from the Detroit area up through the UP and across Wisconsin, Minnesota and South Dakota ... Approximately 1200 miles avoiding the Interstates with the exception of the lower part of Michigan ... It's about 240 miles from Toronto to Flint which would add about 200 miles to your trip ... Less than 500 miles per day and time is on your side
The OP WILL miss one area of humorous interest by avoiding the interstate between Chicago and Detroit: There are 2 exits off the interstate an appropriately few miles apart: "Lovers Lane" and "Climax".

Jim G

Uncle Larry (02-16-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 09:59 AM
pfbmgd
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the input , Changed the trip to 4 days each way .

Old 02-20-2024, 10:17 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by pfbmgd
Thanks for the input , Changed the trip to 4 days each way .
GREAT move! You'll enjoy it that much more.

Jim G

Quick Reply: looking for route Toronto to Sturgis 3 day ride .