Blowers/Turbos/Nitrous Oxide For you Gear Heads. Here is the place to discuss your souped-up, sophisticated, out of control and money pit monsters.

procharger belt failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 AM
wrobinson
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default procharger belt failure

The reliabilty of the procharger that I have on my 2006 Road King to put it politely sucks. In less then 10000 miles it has chewed up 4 of the internal cogged drive belts. The system was installed by a experienced Harley Davidson mechanic. The 1st belt lasted about a week and broke and the thing leaked horribly. Sent unit back to Procharger, they replaced a bearig seal, leak was fixed, but it took them over two weeks and a phone call to get them to send it back, they said it would be fixed and sent back in a day or two. The 2nd belt lasted around 2000-2500 miles. the 3rd belt went with about 3000 miles on it. The 4th belt lasted about 500 miles. I just installed the 5th belt in a little over one year. This is not an isolated problem, the local Harley dealer did one and its gone through 2 belts in less then a 1000 miles, the 2nd belt was installed by a Procharger represenative that they sent to the dealer. Procharger claims the there no are issues, my experience and that of others seems toshow that there a serious reliability issues here. Procharger claims they should last 10000 miles. at 80 some bucks a belt and down time, it sucks.Curious for any input or hopefully a fix

Last edited by wrobinson; 08-02-2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: ongoing problems
Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 AM
ddavis
Advanced

I have just over 4000 on mine, and not had one issue with belts. I hope by saying this it doesn't jinx me.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:26 PM
wrobinson
Stage III
Default procharger belt failure

Thats great, but I highly recommend you get an extra belt or two just to be on the safe side.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:00 PM
taconitehead
Advanced

My belt lasted about 3000 miles and then I lost about 6 inches of the cogs

Old 08-31-2011, 08:26 PM
FastBagger07
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wrobinson
The reliabilty of the procharger that I have on my 2006 Road King to put it politely sucks. In less then 10000 miles it has chewed up 4 of the internal cogged drive belts. The system was installed by a experienced Harley Davidson mechanic. The 1st belt lasted about a week and broke and the thing leaked horribly. Sent unit back to Procharger, they replaced a bearig seal, leak was fixed, but it took them over two weeks and a phone call to get them to send it back, they said it would be fixed and sent back in a day or two. The 2nd belt lasted around 2000-2500 miles. the 3rd belt went with about 3000 miles on it. The 4th belt lasted about 500 miles. I just installed the 5th belt in a little over one year. This is not an isolated problem, the local Harley dealer did one and its gone through 2 belts in less then a 1000 miles, the 2nd belt was installed by a Procharger represenative that they sent to the dealer. Procharger claims the there no are issues, my experience and that of others seems toshow that there a serious reliability issues here. Procharger claims they should last 10000 miles. at 80 some bucks a belt and down time, it sucks.Curious for any input or hopefully a fix
What kind of primary lube are you using? Do Not use synthetic fluids with that belt use Castrol 20/50 wet clutch protection oil.You can it at any auto parts store for $3.99 qt.Set your belt tension to 6-7lbs.of force and your belt deflection at .1050.You must use your jig that comes with the kit.Make sure you turn the bike over a few times after you adjust your belt then recheck it again.After you run the bike for 200-300 miles or after dyno tuning recheck belt again in the same procedure just look at your manual Do Not set the tension at 10lbs. like the book says it too much tension.You should check your belt every 3000-5000 miles it only takes less than an hour.If you continue to break belts you may want to check the run out on your crank.If I were you I would contact Frank at DragosBikeWorks{1-815-765-1790} he's the number one ProCharger dealer in the world.I have a ProCharger on my "09 RoadGlide it's putting out 194hp/155tq at the wheel.I've got over 5000miles on this bike and alot of them not very easy and I'm still on the original belt.Again get ahold of Frank he can fix this problem with out a doubt or at least explain to you what to check.Hope this helps.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:50 AM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wrobinson

There is one of three things causing this....incorrect tension on the belt, a bad belt (unlikely), or excess runout on the crank. I have close to 7k on my procharger kit and I'm only on my second belt. You are supposed to replace them every 10k (I think), but there is an underlying problem why you keep chewing up those belts. Another thing that Fastbagger stated is you need to make sure to turn the bike over AFTER you tension it to make sure the belt is tracking correctly. If you don't and the belt tracks wrong you will chew it up rather quickly.

That's the main reason why I like doing things myself....I bet the harley mechanic didn't tension it correctly and didn't check to make sure it was correctly tracking

Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM
donnie06hd
Intermediate

when i installed the procharger on my 06 i was nervous. i broke my 1st one at about 2500 miles while on a bike trip far from home. it was definately my fault, i overtightened it. i talked w frank on propper procedure. i now change them at 8-9000 miles and havent had an issue since. i am nearing 30k miles, hopefully im not jinced now. good luck with it.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:11 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember it is advised by Procharger to replace PTO belt every 10,000 miles. They do have a higher heat one now.... Which is 30% better. And it is a gates belt.
Thanks
FD

Originally Posted by donnie06hd
when i installed the procharger on my 06 i was nervous. i broke my 1st one at about 2500 miles while on a bike trip far from home. it was definately my fault, i overtightened it. i talked w frank on propper procedure. i now change them at 8-9000 miles and havent had an issue since. i am nearing 30k miles, hopefully im not jinced now. good luck with it.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 AM
donnie06hd
Intermediate

how many miles are you seeing out of these new belts ? will i get 12k ?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:53 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they still are saying 10,000

Originally Posted by donnie06hd
how many miles are you seeing out of these new belts ? will i get 12k ?

Quick Reply: procharger belt failure