Blowers/Turbos/Nitrous Oxide For you Gear Heads. Here is the place to discuss your souped-up, sophisticated, out of control and money pit monsters.

procharger belt failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 12:28 PM
friend9034
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pro charger suggests using synthetics so that is not the problem. Let me know if you figure it out I have broken two within 1200 miles and My crank and flywheels were just trued and balanced with Timken bearing upgrades on both sides so I believe heat is a factor or improper oil level they do take 1 and 1/2 quarts. Pro charger also says there belt is special and it is designed to run in oil, I called Gates directly and there tech says they will all run in oil and high heat, however the new poly gt carbon belt is stronger than the old poly gt 2 but they are all oil resistant, but here is the kicker PC gets 80 bucks for theirs and the same belt can be bought on ebay for about $ 35 just saying look around.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:55 PM
friend9034
1st Gear
Thumbs up pc

pro charger suggests using synthetics so that is not the problem. Let me know if you figure it out I have broken two within 1200 miles and My crank and flywheels were just trued and balanced with Timken bearing upgrades on both sides so I believe heat is a factor or improper oil level they do take 1 and 1/2 quarts. Pro charger also says there belt is special and it is designed to run in oil, I called Gates directly and there tech says they will all run in oil and high heat, however the new poly gt carbon belt is stronger than the old poly gt 2 but they are all oil resistant, but here is the kicker PC gets 80 bucks for theirs and the same belt can be bought on ebay for about $ 35 just saying look around.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 PM
FastBagger07
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by friend9034
$35? you have that part number by chance?

Old 06-01-2012, 10:41 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys I dont understand people having problems with belts on Prochargers
We do a ton of them.
1. Set belt 6lbs at .1060
2. Use HD std Primary fluid or Castrol 20/50 wet clutch oil.
3. Do not use Syn fluid it will make it slip on the cogs.
4. Fill primary under 32 oz do not want belt drownig in oil.
5. Must use jig for proper tension.
6. After 100 miles you must go in and adjust again to the settings I said.
7. Than every 3000 miles adjust tension you should get 7000/10.000 miles out of belt but you have to adjust it.

Please call me if you have any questions.815-765-1790
There are other things that can cause belt issues........

Old 06-03-2012, 05:21 PM
donnie06hd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Guys I dont understand people having problems with belts on Prochargers
We do a ton of them.
1. Set belt 6lbs at .1060
2. Use HD std Primary fluid or Castrol 20/50 wet clutch oil.
3. Do not use Syn fluid it will make it slip on the cogs.
4. Fill primary under 32 oz do not want belt drownig in oil.
5. Must use jig for proper tension.
6. After 100 miles you must go in and adjust again to the settings I said.
7. Than every 3000 miles adjust tension you should get 7000/10.000 miles out of belt but you have to adjust it.

Please call me if you have any questions.815-765-1790
There are other things that can cause belt issues........
10k exactly from my last belt, im going to try for 11k on this newer, better belt

Old 06-25-2012, 08:13 PM
friend9034
1st Gear

you guys that are getting that kind of mileage are lucky as hell, I have went through 4 belts myself and have 2400 miles on a brand new engine. Dark horse crank works crank, Trued, balanced, Timken bearing upgrade, welded, so dont beleive runout is my problem. oil doesnt mean **** either, I have run standard, synthetic, castrol, harley, amsoil, I have changed my clutch hub, am now changing my whole compensator setup, if this doesnt fix the problem, keep your eyes open I will have a pro-charger system for sale cheap. I love the horsepower but if you cant rely on the thing but 500 miles out of an 88 dollar belt I say **** on it, I will go back to inches and naturally aspirate. Any advice except for what I have covered here let me know. I have also used the tensioning gauge everytime, and followed instructions to the letter. I think maybe too tight 3/32 isnt **** the belt has no chance to flex. Signed Frustrated in Illinois
Bill

Old 06-25-2012, 08:17 PM
friend9034
1st Gear

I will be calling Frank tomorrow maybe he can fix my prob.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 PM
FastBagger07
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say your problem is your running 1 1/2 quarts of oil.Your only supposed to have 32oz. in your primary.If your breaking belts every 500mi. you've obviously got something else going on .I would'nt be blaming the procharger I'd be more apt to blame the person working on the procharger .Could you PM me that number for the $35 Procharger belt on Ebay?

Last edited by FastBagger07; 06-25-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:50 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There could be a few reasons why you break belts. We do tons of these units with no issues. You should see easy 7000/10000 miles out of a belt.
I dont know who built your bike.
The SE comp will help.
When you put your new belt in where do you set it?
Recommand setting we use is 6lbs at .1090 inch. Than we adjust again after 100 miles at the same setting. Than at 2500/3000 miles.
My bike has 6300 miles on it with the no belt issues 180 hp
Do you adjust it after 100 miles? Belts do stretch.
Which cam are you using?
How compression is your motor?
What exhaust?
Etc.,
When using oil we would say 24/28 oz its all you need.
Please call me today like you said. If you are in Il. we are just outside of Rockford ILL>.

Thanks FD

Originally Posted by friend9034
you guys that are getting that kind of mileage are lucky as hell, I have went through 4 belts myself and have 2400 miles on a brand new engine. Dark horse crank works crank, Trued, balanced, Timken bearing upgrade, welded, so dont beleive runout is my problem. oil doesnt mean **** either, I have run standard, synthetic, castrol, harley, amsoil, I have changed my clutch hub, am now changing my whole compensator setup, if this doesnt fix the problem, keep your eyes open I will have a pro-charger system for sale cheap. I love the horsepower but if you cant rely on the thing but 500 miles out of an 88 dollar belt I say **** on it, I will go back to inches and naturally aspirate. Any advice except for what I have covered here let me know. I have also used the tensioning gauge everytime, and followed instructions to the letter. I think maybe too tight 3/32 isnt **** the belt has no chance to flex. Signed Frustrated in Illinois
Bill

Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 AM
friend9034
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
There could be a few reasons why you break belts. We do tons of these units with no issues. You should see easy 7000/10000 miles out of a belt.
I dont know who built your bike.
The SE comp will help.
When you put your new belt in where do you set it?
Recommand setting we use is 6lbs at .1090 inch. Than we adjust again after 100 miles at the same setting. Than at 2500/3000 miles.
My bike has 6300 miles on it with the no belt issues 180 hp
Do you adjust it after 100 miles? Belts do stretch.
Which cam are you using?
How compression is your motor?
What exhaust?
Etc.,
When using oil we would say 24/28 oz its all you need.
Please call me today like you said. If you are in Il. we are just outside of Rockford ILL>.

Thanks FD
Am getting ready to call Frank, however in answer to question dark horse put lower end together, I did top Andrews 32 gear drive cams, 9.3 to1 comp fueling cam plate and pump, lifters and push rods SE MVA heads, D&D Fat Katz 2-1 exhaust 175 hp Valley racing did tuning. 95 cid

Quick Reply: procharger belt failure