Blowers/Turbos/Nitrous Oxide For you Gear Heads. Here is the place to discuss your souped-up, sophisticated, out of control and money pit monsters.

I finally pulled the trigger and decided between blower and turbo..

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Troy L
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I finally pulled the trigger and decided between blower and turbo..

I ordered a trask turbo (intercooled) and Thundermax Auto Tune to put on my 2010 Electra Glide Classic..
the bikes already making 122/121 with a stage 4 103ci at 10.75 compression ratio..
should have everything in the next 10 days so ill keep this thread updated..
before everyone starts off with what are you thinking or it will never last , i already know that but lets try it anyway...
going to run it and tune it on 100 or 110 unleaded..
a new motor is in the near future...

Attached Thumbnails I finally pulled the trigger and decided between blower and turbo..-picture-or-video-004.jpg  
Old 04-15-2011, 05:45 PM
BadBagger08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy L
I ordered a trask turbo (intercooled) and Thundermax Auto Tune to put on my 2010 Electra Glide Classic..
the bikes already making 122/121 with a stage 4 103ci at 10.75 compression ratio..
before everyone starts off with what are you thinking or it will never last , i already know that but lets try it anyway...
Nice. I bet ya can't wait. Ought to run like a raped ape when finished.
I know I can't. I see every1 out on their bikes. just a couple more weeks I keep telling myself.
Wish I could afford a turbo/supercharger.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Turbo ray 44
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good Luck

only have a couple of questions?
With 10.75 compression what's the plan so that you effectively seal the top end? especially when your running just a little boost? a little more boost and you will be havin fun and pushing the head gasket limits to the max.
Keep us tuned in, sounds interesting.....

Last edited by Turbo ray 44; 04-15-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Troy L
Cruiser

im running cometic head gaskets , im not sure how long they will hold but ive had really good luck with them in drag racing high boost applications ...
any suggestions ?

Old 04-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Turbo ray 44
Tourer
Default good choice

Ran cometic gaskets with my 124" for 80,000 plus, 4,000 plus with the Turbo. The Turbo w/an 8# boost spring started pushing the head gaskets on the 75,000 mile lower end.
SOLUTION...were stepping the heads and cylinders and adding a 14# boost spring....
you might want to consider Turbo pistons w/8.1 compression ratio, then you can add lots of boost.
have fun.....

im running cometic head gaskets , im not sure how long they will hold but ive had really good luck with them in drag racing high boost applications ...
any suggestions ?

Old 04-16-2011, 12:56 PM
FastBagger07
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Who did you buy the Trask Turbo from.I see Frank at DragosBikeworks is a dealer for them now.I agree with turbo ray.You may want to change out your pistons to a lower CR.It's all about the boost when your dealing with forced induction.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Troy L
Cruiser

i got the turbo kit from Trask directly, Nick gave me a pretty good deal since i bought the kit and thundermaxx , injectors all at the same time..

I know that lower compressions would be a smart thing to do but i like to do things the hard way...

Old 04-17-2011, 07:16 PM
FLSTF
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Compression

How much compression can you run with a turbo? If you already have a build with good heads can you just change pistons and keep the rest of your build the same?

Old 04-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Turbo ray 44
Tourer
Default desired compression

The closer to 8.1 you are the better..then add boost and hang on.
CP makes a thicker topped dome so that boost can be added w/less chance of damaging the top..
good luck..
Originally Posted by FLSTF
How much compression can you run with a turbo? If you already have a build with good heads can you just change pistons and keep the rest of your build the same?

Last edited by Turbo ray 44; 04-17-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 PM
BadBagger08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo ray 44
SOLUTION...were stepping the heads and cylinders
Why didn't you just go with a O Ringed head and a grooved cylinder and run a copper head gasket? This is how Alcohol and top fuel cars are done and that's a hole lot boost and cylinder pressure. I blew a head gasket on my blown small block and went this rout and never had a issue again. Jim Oddy did the head and block work for me.

Can you show some picks of your heads and cylinders when you get them back? I'm very interested to see the work.

Quick Reply: I finally pulled the trigger and decided between blower and turbo..