Blowers/Turbos/Nitrous Oxide For you Gear Heads. Here is the place to discuss your souped-up, sophisticated, out of control and money pit monsters.

I finally pulled the trigger and decided between blower and turbo..

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Troy L
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

talked to trask today , everything will be here thursday , i will install everything friday and dyno it saturday , updates soon..

Attached Thumbnails I finally pulled the trigger and decided between blower and turbo..-new-wheels.jpg  
Old 04-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Turbo ray 44
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Solution

Looked at using an o-ring for the fix, discovered there's not enough area on the cylinder between the bolt hole and inside edge... 4 1/8" bore.
will post images when the work is accomplished.

Originally Posted by BadBagger08
Why didn't you just go with a O Ringed head and a grooved cylinder and run a copper head gasket? This is how Alcohol and top fuel cars are done and that's a hole lot boost and cylinder pressure. I blew a head gasket on my blown small block and went this rout and never had a issue again. Jim Oddy did the head and block work for me.

Can you show some picks of your heads and cylinders when you get them back? I'm very interested to see the work.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Troy L
Cruiser

Ray is there a way to run bigger studs ? or bolts maybe ? even if it meant having to remove the motor to get the heads off ?

Old 04-20-2011, 02:12 AM
Turbo ray 44
Tourer
Default possible?

The clamping pressure has not been an issue, the studs are not stretched or moving in the cases. Bigger studs or bolts might be an option with smaller cylinders. The 4 1/8th cylinder takes up a lot of room.

Randy at Hyperformance has my twin cam back on track for another 75,000 mile attempt, with a record attempt or two at Bonneville this summer.
Will keep you tuned in....
Proper cylinder sealing, 8.1 comp w/thick crown pistons = More Boost= More Fun is on the way......

Originally Posted by Troy L
Ray is there a way to run bigger studs ? or bolts maybe ? even if it meant having to remove the motor to get the heads off ?

Last edited by Turbo ray 44; 04-20-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Troy L
Cruiser

sounds good, keep me updated..

Old 04-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Troy L
Cruiser

just got back from my first test ride and all is good , alot smoother than i tought , no bucking or surging , will be final tuned tomorow..
the turbo sure takes the lope out of the cams (Tman 625) , its much quieter now...

Attached Thumbnails I finally pulled the trigger and decided between blower and turbo..-img_0315.jpg   I finally pulled the trigger and decided between blower and turbo..-img_0316.jpg   I finally pulled the trigger and decided between blower and turbo..-img_0314.jpg  
Old 04-22-2011, 11:39 PM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

Why dont you o-ring the heads no issue with boost.

Originally Posted by Turbo ray 44
The clamping pressure has not been an issue, the studs are not stretched or moving in the cases. Bigger studs or bolts might be an option with smaller cylinders. The 4 1/8th cylinder takes up a lot of room.

Randy at Hyperformance has my twin cam back on track for another 75,000 mile attempt, with a record attempt or two at Bonneville this summer.
Will keep you tuned in....
Proper cylinder sealing, 8.1 comp w/thick crown pistons = More Boost= More Fun is on the way......

Old 04-22-2011, 11:40 PM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

Looks good.

Originally Posted by Troy L
just got back from my first test ride and all is good , alot smoother than i tought , no bucking or surging , will be final tuned tomorow..
the turbo sure takes the lope out of the cams (Tman 625) , its much quieter now...

Old 04-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Turbo ray 44
Tourer
Default solution

may not be enough room between the bolt holes and the cylinder edge?
Randy at Hyperformance has all of the parts and a solution at hand.
thanks.......

Originally Posted by DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Why dont you o-ring the heads no issue with boost.

Attached Thumbnails I finally pulled the trigger and decided between blower and turbo..-ray-c.jpg  

Last edited by Turbo ray 44; 04-23-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Troy L
Cruiser

I finally got a chance to strap the bike down on the dyno , this is with no tuning and max of 5800 rpm and tman 625 cams which are not very good in a turbo application...

Attached Thumbnails I finally pulled the trigger and decided between blower and turbo..-img_0330.jpg   I finally pulled the trigger and decided between blower and turbo..-dsc_0528.jpg  

Quick Reply: I finally pulled the trigger and decided between blower and turbo..