Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom audio system full review

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 01:12 PM
DieselDave24v
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boom audio system full review

After reading through literally thousands of post on this site concerning the audio upgrade options I finally pulled the trigger today. I have had a real hard time finding a unbiased review on the boom audio amp and 4 speaker system for the 14 Ultra Limited. I understand the aftermarket world typically provides a better product at a cheaper price.

There are a few reasons I went down this road.

1. I got a smoking deal on the system $700.00 (1K on HD website)

2. I want a plug and play system. This Boom system is designed to work with no mods (other than the flash) and should be a painless install.

3. I have heard great things about JM audio, and this was originally my plan, but I have heard some horrible things about JMs customer service. It may be all BS, but it was enough to scare me away.

I am sure for 700 bucks it will be a substantial upgrade to the stock system.

I plan on getting a decibel meter and doing a full review to let other folks know if its worth doing.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...08-76000411--1

Last edited by DieselDave24v; 09-01-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:13 PM
DieselDave24v
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley also recommends the stator/charging system with this system. Is this really needed? Its only a 300 want amp. I would think the stock system could handle it, however I also run heated gear in the winter.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that J&M has bad product, it's just how they push their stuff here. I'm okay with that, but decided to go with the Biketronics line. Personally, you will be WAY better off with either of them then HD's boom. If it's the money, do some research on this forum for some of the other options. Do yourself a favor, stay away from the boom stuff, I bought a bunch off their speakers, they are only slightly better then stuck, which isn't say much.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:28 PM
4nic8
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the boom amp is a rebranded MTX, at least it used to be

Old 09-01-2014, 05:26 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselDave24v
After reading through literally thousands of post on this site concerning the audio upgrade options I finally pulled the trigger today. I have had a real hard time finding a unbiased review on the boom audio amp and 4 speaker system for the 14 Ultra Limited. I understand the aftermarket world typically provides a better product at a cheaper price.
no doubt better quality too

There are a few reasons I went down this road.

1. I got a smoking deal on the system $700.00 (1K on HD website)
yep that's a pretty good deal.

2. I want a plug and play system. This Boom system is designed to work with no mods (other than the flash) and should be a painless install.
yes sir it should be. install, flash, ride.

3. I have heard great things about JM audio, and this was originally my plan, but I have heard some horrible things about JMs customer service. It may be all BS, but it was enough to scare me away.
on the contrary, their customer service is impeccable IMO.

I am sure for 700 bucks it will be a substantial upgrade to the stock system.
not sure I would use the word substantial but it will certainly be better than stock if it's flashed correctly.

I plan on getting a decibel meter and doing a full review to let other folks know if its worth doing.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...08-76000411--1
my .02 worth.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:26 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Harley also recommends the stator/charging system with this system. Is this really needed? Its only a 300 want amp. I would think the stock system could handle it, however I also run heated gear in the winter.
not the power of the amp you need to be concerned with but the current draw of said amp. Good luck in finding actual specs on current draw of any boom amp. But all things considered, I don't see how an amp that has a main power wire of 16ga is going to draw very much current at all. IMO, the recommendation is BS.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:20 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After reading thousands of posts, you still chose the Ka-Boom ?? WOW !!

My main reason for NOT going with what the dealer recommended, would be because they flat out lied about the charging system.....

J&M may has one of the BEST customer service departments in the business...If you have a problem with the Ka-Boom set-up, will the owner of Harley Davidson personally handle your problem ??? NO WAY, but the owner of J&M will....

Will the Ka-Boom be better,.....sure, but so would anything...will it be $700 better ?? Not in my opinion....

If I were you, I think I'd start over with my 'research'......

Old 09-02-2014, 06:44 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
After reading thousands of posts, you still chose the Ka-Boom ?? WOW !!

My main reason for NOT going with what the dealer recommended, would be because they flat out lied about the charging system.....

J&M may has one of the BEST customer service departments in the business...If you have a problem with the Ka-Boom set-up, will the owner of Harley Davidson personally handle your problem ??? NO WAY, but the owner of J&M will....

Will the Ka-Boom be better,.....sure, but so would anything...will it be $700 better ?? Not in my opinion....

If I were you, I think I'd start over with my 'research'......
That said. . . GP is being polite. Since January I've replaced at least 4 boom systems on bikes. Guys arrived at the same conclusions. . . "They got a good deal" so they jumped on it. Bottom line: Once they got it. . . They hated it and wanted something better. You can do a hell of a lot better than the boom system for 700.00 bucks and by the way JM was my first upgrade years ago and I found their customer service to be excellent as well.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:53 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
That said. . . GP is being polite. Since January I've replaced at least 4 boom systems on bikes. Guys arrived at the same conclusions. . . "They got a good deal" so they jumped on it. Bottom line: Once they got it. . . They hated it and wanted something better. You can do a hell of a lot better than the boom system for 700.00 bucks and by the way JM was my first upgrade years ago and I found their customer service to be excellent as well.
J&M was my very first upgrade as well and their customer service is impeccable. I had the Rokker 4 channel amp with the two speakers in my 2012 Roadie and those two speakers blew away the complete boom audio system that was on the 2012 street glide cvo. Glad the OP made a decision and stuck with it, but a little more research wouldve led him down a different road. Plus, there's a reason why the OP got such a "good deal" on the boom stuff.....but I would like to recommend that the OP only compare his system to another boom system. Anything even SLIGHTLY more upgraded over stock using just about anything other than the ka-boom stuff (ka-boom...i like it) would send the OP back to the drawing board with head down and tail between legs. Good luck to you anyways mr. OP. If it makes you happy then thats all that matters.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

I agree with Nutz and call BS on this as well . . . .

Quick Reply: Boom audio system full review