Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MP3 Bitrate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014 | 03:47 PM
chip594
|
Intermediate
Default MP3 Bitrate?

I was finally able to get my SS pn4.520 installed on my mm651's. I haven't had much time to road test it due to the rain here. The one time I did take it out, I had an mp3 cd with a bitrate of 320k.

While it was extremely loud and I could hear it at highway speeds. To me the music sounded a little "tingy or harsh" at times. I'm trying to see if maybe it was the cd's bitrate, the type of music (which was Within Temptation), or is that a quality of the mm651's?

I set my gains based on Ultra's method with a DMM & 1000mhz tone.

Any ideas?

Old 08-03-2014 | 11:11 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by chip594
I was finally able to get my SS pn4.520 installed on my mm651's. I haven't had much time to road test it due to the rain here. The one time I did take it out, I had an mp3 cd with a bitrate of 320k.

While it was extremely loud and I could hear it at highway speeds. To me the music sounded a little "tingy or harsh" at times. I'm trying to see if maybe it was the cd's bitrate, the type of music (which was Within Temptation), or is that a quality of the mm651's?

I set my gains based on Ultra's method with a DMM & 1000mhz tone.

Any ideas?
WOW... Within Temptation - Dutch Band (I am Dutch). Ex wife actually sang with the leader singer for a while... Keep in mind Ex is NOT a singer, hence EX besides other reasons.

first - Stock head unit?

ok -I HIGHLY doubt you would hear the difference between 128k and 320k on the bike, but that aside.
I would play with bass and treble - I got the MMs and they are really good IMO. yes, a bit "harsh" (lot og mid high and high.
Music could have influence on it as well.

last : DDM dial in was with 1000Hz not MHz - just kidding...

Old 08-04-2014 | 08:34 AM
chip594
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AAWAV
WOW... Within Temptation - Dutch Band (I am Dutch). Ex wife actually sang with the leader singer for a while... Keep in mind Ex is NOT a singer, hence EX besides other reasons.

first - Stock head unit?

ok -I HIGHLY doubt you would hear the difference between 128k and 320k on the bike, but that aside.
I would play with bass and treble - I got the MMs and they are really good IMO. yes, a bit "harsh" (lot og mid high and high.
Music could have influence on it as well.

last : DDM dial in was with 1000Hz not MHz - just kidding...
LOL Yea, I've been on a Within Temptation & Nightwish kick lately!

I am running the stock HU. I'd love to replace it but I can't loose my CB, it's one of the big reasons that I stepped up to an Ultra in the first place. I currently have my bass 1 notch above center, and treble one notch below center. So you think turning the treble down a bit more on that may help?

I haven't had the chance to road test with another genre of music, and I imagine that Symphonic Metal (or whatever it's classified as) can be pretty stressful on speakers at times. There were times when the vocalist hit some of the high notes, I had to lower the volume because it was almost too harsh. Since you're familiar with that music, you know there is a lot of high notes! I do listen to everything ranging from rap to country, and I tend to go in phases. So I was trying to find a middle ground of settings, and then slightly tweak depending on what I'm listening to.

I knew that about the DMM, I used to work with them. I guess I had a brain fart

Old 08-04-2014 | 09:18 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Consider the source of your music ... If you've ripped it from an "original CD" you shouldn't have any trouble and as mentioned earlier and adjusting the parameters of your system may rectify the problem. It is unlikely that you'd notice the difference between the 128 and 320 kbps. Many times "download" sites and file sharing sites have less than "quality" data. Hope this helps.

Old 08-04-2014 | 12:30 PM
chip594
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Consider the source of your music ... If you've ripped it from an "original CD" you shouldn't have any trouble and as mentioned earlier and adjusting the parameters of your system may rectify the problem. It is unlikely that you'd notice the difference between the 128 and 320 kbps. Many times "download" sites and file sharing sites have less than "quality" data. Hope this helps.
The files in question that I played were downloaded, and were already at 320k. I haven't altered them at all.