Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASWC-1 / Metra install AND PROGRAMMING (left push as MUTE) Guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:52 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,225 Likes on 3,756 Posts

Here is the play by play on my programming...

I reset the ASWC-1 and red led flashes rapidly

I press in and up on my handlebar volume control (or I don't, nothing changes, the rest of the results are the same)

After a couple of seconds the red led stops flashing. I release the volume up button

Then I get one long green flash and six short green flashes

Then I get two red led flashes, which means it recognized my Kenwood.

Then then I get a red led for a short while (not a flash)

Then I get a steady green led.

I shut off the bike, turn it back on, I get a momentary green led, then it goes off.

Also, with all this resetting and reprogramming, the volume on my HU sometimes shoots up to the max and nothing I do will turn it back down. If I shut off and restart the HU, the volume is still at max. I have to unplug the HU harness from the back off it for a couple of seconds, plug it back in, and I can control the volume from the HU again

I'm going to close her up and use it without hand controls I guess. I will unplug the 1/8 plug for the steering wheel controls because even though they don't work, I think that is what causes my volume to go full blast and lock

Jim

Old 07-30-2015, 02:04 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Success, I called Metra Support.....while programming, the first led flash in my series of seven was a long one followed by six short ones....Metra said the long first flash indicated it was not seeing my Pink/White wire.

I told them it was connected, they stated that it had to be cut in between the connector and the handlebar control not on the other side of the connector or it would not work. I couldn't see what difference that would make but I hung up and went to check my bike.

I had cut on the proper handlebar side of the connector but guess what, I had connected the Metra pink/wire to the wrong side of the cut. I was not connected into the handlebar side of the cut, I had connected to the downstream side(or top side of the actual cut)

When you have your fairing off, you can see the connector attached to the fairing brace just to the left of the speaker. I thought the harness came down from the handlebar control through the connector and continued downwards into the main harness (because it was basically in front of the left handlebar area) so I spliced on the top side of the cut....turns out it's comes from the handlebar control UP into the connector and continues into the main harness. should have been the bottom side of the cut. I figured it out by pulling on the harness....what an idiot.

Everything works fine, As to the question of connecting the cut pink/white wire to ground or to the matching Metra pink/wire...they said the older harnesses did not come with a pink/white wire so you were supposed to connect to ground...the new harnesses have a pink/white for ground so you just connect that to your cut wire...but make sure it's the end that comes from the handlebar control...still can't believe I did that!

..oh well...all's well that ends well....thanks for everyone's help...hope this helps someone else

Jim

Last edited by roussfam; 07-30-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:29 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

short version for the new metra harness...
cut the pink white wire in the bike harness like in manual in this thread.
connect the line that comes from the handlebar to the pink white wire on the metra harness.
cap off the other side of the pink white bike harness with electrical tape or heat shrink.
with the new metra harness there is no need to ground the handlebar side pink-white wire to triple tree (the ciggie lighter ground causes issues with some of the HU brands).

When I got some time on my hand I will update the manual to include this Metra harness variant.

Last edited by AAWAV; 10-05-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:12 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

I updated the manual to include the new harness as well. with a picture someone posted here on the forum.

new link: see post #1. document is Version 3.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:25 AM
pitarobb
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aarrgghh...still getting max-volume during auto-detect

Great info in the thread.

However, I'm stumped as to why I still get the max-volume issue no matter which side of the cut factory-pink I attach the ASWC-pink and chassis-ground ? (auto-detects either way, but max-volume issue)

Tried resetting the ASWC each time...even tried with or without ground.
Tried ASWC-pink only to either side of factory-pink (no auto-detect)
Tried chassis-ground only to either side of factory-pink (no auto-detect)

(all handlebar-controls work perfectly fine with factory-deck prior to this upgrade)

Last edited by pitarobb; 03-18-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:32 PM
pitarobb
1st Gear

Crisis averted...apparently, the Metra wiring-harness and the instruction-sheet were not a match. All that was needed was to connect ASWC-pink to stock-pink on control-side and NOT connect chassis-ground.

Working like a champ now AND programmed the MUTE/ATT thanks to the great info in this original post.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:46 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by pitarobb
Crisis averted...apparently, the Metra wiring-harness and the instruction-sheet were not a match. All that was needed was to connect ASWC-pink to stock-pink on control-side and NOT connect chassis-ground.

Working like a champ now AND programmed the MUTE/ATT thanks to the great info in this original post.
correct - you (most likely) got the new "version" with the pink wire in the harness, unlike me and others here running the ASWC-1 longer than prob. 1 year.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:53 AM
pitarobb
1st Gear

Yup...the bugger is that the instructions I was using/referring to were from Metra and trying to make them work for their (new) harness.

Had they provided the newer/updated instructions I wouldn't have had to spin my wheels and waste 6 hours of my time on this crazy puzzle

Old 03-21-2016, 09:58 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Alls well that ends well. Pretty hard to beat the price

Old 04-02-2016, 01:39 PM
Ghosttrain1
Cruiser
Location: Austin, San Antonio, Canyon Lake, Houston, Palestine, Texas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Serious issues!!!!

So I am attempting to hook up an Alpine CDE-HD149BT. As far as I can tell I have done everything by the directions and color of wires and can't get the stereo to power up. I even thought it was a bad radio and went and got another identical model, same thing. Yes, I disconnected the neg battery cable before installing. The ASWC-1 green light comes on and stays on. Pretty desperate here.

Quick Reply: ASWC-1 / Metra install AND PROGRAMMING (left push as MUTE) Guide