Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic - Audio Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 04:10 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 1991 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic - Audio Upgrades

So my system is stock at the moment, actually just happy it actually works at this time. better than nothing I tell ya. Had the bike a week as of today. So I am considering a full retro upgrade kit from Biketronics, Thoughts? i am also wondering if it's possible to get an adapter to fit some Infinity 6.5" speakers I have new in the box into my fairing? I am going out on a limb here and assume NOT? But would like to hear some suggestions on speaker options. I do have a MotorcycleTunes 700w 2ch amp sitting around and ready to be used. I need to upgrade the head unit for sure so maybe I can get away with just getting that from Biketronics and possibly use what I already have for amp and speakers? Would be nice!

Old 09-21-2015, 09:34 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

So I guess I should update this thread. I decided on getting the Biketronics retro radio upgrade kit. I opted for the Kenwood BT558U head unit. Fairing only allows for the 4" Titan speakers. Did the install last Friday. It proved to be a bit of a challenge, mainly in the wiring dept. I was supplied the BT1006 kit for the handlebar controls. But the wiring for that did not match my model year. Luckily included was the wiring for the BT1008 model, and for some reason that wiring did match my bike. Having the FSM handy to reference the stock wiring color codes helped. In the end I would up using automotive splices, just n case I ever need to put the HK unit back in all the connectors for that are still present. Speaker quality is an improvement, event though they were not rated as high as the pioneers I pulled out. The titan speakers have a much bigger magnet. Though I had an issue on one side of the fairing not wanting to fit the speaker properly. Can't say why, but the rim of the speaker just didn't want to squeeze in the tiny opening in this old fairing. So with a bit of customizing all worked out ok. Stereo sounds great. I mainly wanted to run a usb memory card, got me a 32gb card loaded with tunes. That is more than enough, I always just shuffle all and hit the road. All in all I bet I had at least 6 hours into it, taking my time. Now to just fine tune it for road conditions and best sound. I did a 150 mile run on Saturday. My only real issue with it right now is that the AVC (Auto Volume Control) seems to be a bit sensitive constantly adjusting. I may simply shut that off, if I cannot dial that in (there are adjustments). It is a nice feature, but it fluctuates too much for me in the factory setting. The HK unit did this as well, but not as extreme. In the end I am happy finally a year later, but feel the $500 was a bit steep.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:05 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Thought I would post some pics, as everyone know thread is worthless without pics. Breakdown: Biketronics Kenwood KDC-BT558U HU and, BT1006X controller, Titan 4" BT speakers in fairing, RF PBR300X4 amp, Dragonfly Cycle Concepts pods ready to mount on tourpak, and Infinity Reference 612M speakers for the pods. Biketronics package has been in for about a year, most recent install was wiring in the amp. Next up is to mount pods and speakers for rear, run wiring, then Tune it in. Always feel like I got ripped off or something when I see the bike tore down this far, LOL. Shall update with more pics and how I like sound when I get it done. I have read many many audio threads on here that have been very helpful. Thanks to all for that!

Attached Thumbnails 1991 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic - Audio Upgrades-wp_20160602_21_17_04_pro.jpg   1991 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic - Audio Upgrades-wp_20160602_21_16_56_pro.jpg   1991 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic - Audio Upgrades-wp_20160602_21_16_33_pro.jpg   1991 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic - Audio Upgrades-wp_20160602_21_17_23_pro.jpg   1991 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic - Audio Upgrades-wp_20160602_21_17_41_pro.jpg  

Old 06-03-2016, 09:15 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Just for the sake of knowing, is the 4" speaker as large as you can go in that fairing?

Old 06-03-2016, 09:37 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SBates08
Just for the sake of knowing, is the 4" speaker as large as you can go in that fairing?

For this style fairing Yes, and they barely fit at that. But the BT Titans sound good even before the amp. Hoping to push em even more. But been wanting the rears and 4 channels for sometime now.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:47 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyLoud
For this style fairing Yes, and they barely fit at that. But the BT Titans sound good even before the amp. Hoping to push em even more. But been wanting the rears and 4 channels for sometime now.
Good to know. Keep us posted.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:08 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

System with rear pods is finally complete with Cerwin Vega B4 amp. Really digging it! The Infinity Kappa 62.11i speakers really scream, along with the Titan 4" speakers in fairing. My bike is loud with the Supertrapp exhaust pipes and I can't even hear the bike over the tunes now. Clear as a bell at hwy speeds. Didn't get a chance to snap a pic of amp in fairing but it's mounted the same way the fosgate was. Here's a couple pics of the speaks in the Dragonfly rear pods.

Attached Thumbnails 1991 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic - Audio Upgrades-wp_20160620_11_04_37_pro.jpg   1991 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic - Audio Upgrades-wp_20160620_11_04_47_pro.jpg  
Old 06-20-2016, 03:13 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

sweet glad you liked it man!

Old 06-22-2016, 05:49 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyLoud
System with rear pods is finally complete with Cerwin Vega B4 amp. Really digging it! The Infinity Kappa 62.11i speakers really scream, along with the Titan 4" speakers in fairing. My bike is loud with the Supertrapp exhaust pipes and I can't even hear the bike over the tunes now. Clear as a bell at hwy speeds. Didn't get a chance to snap a pic of amp in fairing but it's mounted the same way the fosgate was. Here's a couple pics of the speaks in the Dragonfly rear pods.
enjoy seeing people happy with their system.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:15 AM
Mark Ballantine
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Still liking the biketronics and head?

I have a 95 flhtc and I'm struggling to find info or parts to upgrade my audio from factory(never worked). Did you find a dash kit to stabilize and secure the head? I just need something to get me by for a bit, did you get the AVC squared away or ended up disconnecting it? Thank you so much for this informative and inspiring thread

Quick Reply: 1991 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic - Audio Upgrades