Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Unit upgrade suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Didn't you recommend another Alpine HU... CDE-HD 149BT also. Ive got a Alpine 9886 that I like, had a Kenwood but cd skipped even at idle!
Yes sir! on another thread the op was asking for an HU that he could see in the sunlight and the Alpine fit was he was looking for. I know a couple guys who have the Alpine and they love it for that reason. Me personally. . . I have the Sony and I love it as well. I would need my prescription glasses on to see any display while riding. . . lol

Old 07-26-2014, 08:59 PM
1HD2NV
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
You lost me Sir? If the battery dies nothing is playing? Unless your talking about the phone battery and the Sony charges that?
Yes, phone batt. Realize HU charges, as does any USB or the trusty cig lighter, but not as convenient when it is clipped to your side or in saddle bag. My phone wouldnt fit in tune tray....

Old 07-26-2014, 09:08 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HD2NV
Yes, phone batt. Realize HU charges, as does any USB or the trusty cig lighter, but not as convenient when it is clipped to your side or in saddle bag. My phone wouldnt fit in tune tray....
Gotcha!

Old 07-27-2014, 08:54 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I've had 2 Alpine HU's no issues with either one. CD's never skip & great Bluetooth iPod/iPhone compat. I really like the Variable Color Illumination for display & buttons 30 presets and 60 custom colors.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:46 AM
Street_Glyding
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to check out the Sony MEX-M70BT, its the same as the MEX-GS610BT but its the MARINE grade, so you have some more waterproofing on it. Another benefit I like is that you can read the display in the sunlight! For an extra $20, that's the one that I just purchased and installed. I love it!

Old 07-28-2014, 07:13 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Street_Glyding
You might want to check out the Sony MEX-M70BT, its the same as the MEX-GS610BT but its the MARINE grade, so you have some more waterproofing on it. Another benefit I like is that you can read the display in the sunlight! For an extra $20, that's the one that I just purchased and installed. I love it!
Has all my prerequisite needs like XM/front USB/BT/5v preout. I'd have to switch my handlebar control jack. Hmmm....

Old 07-28-2014, 10:36 AM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Street_Glyding
You got lucky,

Sony screwed up with a batch of these HU's where they won't receive any FM over stations in the 90 frequency range. Something to do with confusing the European models with the US models. It's a known issue and Sony is working to correct it. I ordered the HU from. I ordered one of these and just my luck, I got one of the problem units.

It's a great model, if you don't mind rolling the dice.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:05 PM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm running a Kenwood X998. Been pretty good to me so far...so many choices though.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

kenwood bt958hd.....4v preouts, multiple colors, HD radio, XM radio, Ipod integration, Android integration, great price.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:13 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
You got lucky,

Sony screwed up with a batch of these HU's where they won't receive any FM over stations in the 90 frequency range. Something to do with confusing the European models with the US models. It's a known issue and Sony is working to correct it. I ordered the HU from. I ordered one of these and just my luck, I got one of the problem units.

It's a great model, if you don't mind rolling the dice.
My audio buddy just told me to avoid the Sony MEX 5000bt series. Many volume/button issues. He never dealt with 70bt. He is a JVC fan though and really likes the KD-AR959BS

Quick Reply: Head Unit upgrade suggestions needed