Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kicker 6.5" Marine speakers & 2010 Ultra Limited?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Malibyte
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kicker 6.5" Marine speakers & 2010 Ultra Limited?

Adding a Fosgate PBR300x4 amp, and want to upgrade the speakers on my Ultra.

Will these work? I have the adapters ordered for the fronts; I thought I read somewhere that 6.5" speakers will fit without adapters in the back.

Amazon.com : Pair of Kicker 11KM6LC Charcoal Grey 6" / 6.5" 4-Ohm Coaxial Marine Speakers 195 Watts Peak / 65 Watts RMS Each Speaker With Vivid Blue LED Accent Lighting : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Pair of Kicker 11KM6LC Charcoal Grey 6" / 6.5" 4-Ohm Coaxial Marine Speakers 195 Watts Peak / 65 Watts RMS Each Speaker With Vivid Blue LED Accent Lighting : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics

Pair of Kicker 11KM6LC Charcoal Grey 6" / 6.5" 4-Ohm Coaxial Marine Speakers 195 Watts Peak / 65 Watts RMS Each Speaker With Vivid Blue LED Accent Lighting

I'm not thrilled with the LEDs but the bike is blue, and if worst comes to worst I'm sure I can find some material or grilles to put over them. The price is right, they have all 5-star reviews, and they're marine speakers so I shouldn't have to worry about weather. They're also 4-ohm impedance, which is what's needed for this amp.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 07-23-2014, 03:55 PM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Malibyte
Adding a Fosgate PBR300x4 amp, and want to upgrade the speakers on my Ultra.

Will these work? I have the adapters ordered for the fronts; I thought I read somewhere that 6.5" speakers will fit without adapters in the back.

Amazon.com : Pair of Kicker 11KM6LC Charcoal Grey 6" / 6.5" 4-Ohm Coaxial Marine Speakers 195 Watts Peak / 65 Watts RMS Each Speaker With Vivid Blue LED Accent Lighting : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics

Pair of Kicker 11KM6LC Charcoal Grey 6" / 6.5" 4-Ohm Coaxial Marine Speakers 195 Watts Peak / 65 Watts RMS Each Speaker With Vivid Blue LED Accent Lighting

I'm not thrilled with the LEDs but the bike is blue, and if worst comes to worst I'm sure I can find some material or grilles to put over them. The price is right, they have all 5-star reviews, and they're marine speakers so I shouldn't have to worry about weather. They're also 4-ohm impedance, which is what's needed for this amp.

Thanks in advance for any help!
If you're looking to upgrade, that amp with those speakers should be fine. If you're looking for best value, you can do better. Whats your budget?

Old 07-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Malibyte
Tourer

Originally Posted by Eshaw301
If you're looking to upgrade, that amp with those speakers should be fine. If you're looking for best value, you can do better. Whats your budget?
Amp is already on its way, so pretty much a done deal there.
Speakers - I'd like to stay under $300 for all four but will go a bit higher if they really sound good.

I'd rather spend $400 for four speakers that sound really good than $200 for a set that are only modestly better than the stockers.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Amp is already on its way, so pretty much a done deal there.
Speakers - I'd like to stay under $300 for all four but will go a bit higher if they really sound good.

I'd rather spend $400 for four speakers that sound really good than $200 for a set that are only modestly better than the stockers.
Well, seeing as tho the amp is already on order and your budget for speakers is roughly $300, im guessing that your total budget is about $500? If so, I would do the following....

Return the PBR 300x4. Its is a dog...plain and simple. There are much better options out there than that. I would do the PBR300x2 and run the speakers in parallel if you choose to go with 4 ohm. This presents a 2 ohm load. If you are hell bent on doing a 4 channel amp, and keeping it in the fairing, i would go with the Soundstream pn4.520. Some have had FM issues with that amp, some have not. But not many have complained about its performance.

For speakers, I would do the BT 7.1, Kicker CS65, Infinity Kappa 62.11i, or the polk mm651 (beware of the issues with the polks however. They have had a run of problems recently. Im unsure if they have been solved or not). I currently run the Kappas and had them powered by a PBR300x2 and they rocked. I currently have them fed with a Soundstream TN4.900 sending each one 225 watts. They scream at you if you're not careful. Also, I have not heard the BT 7.1 but they get nothing but rave reviews here. The only thing about them is that they need power from what everyone says.

If you want to keep the PBR300x4, I would go with the kickers since they are 4 ohm. The other speakers (other than the 7.1) are all two ohm. I have heard the kickers in person (CS65) and they sound good with a small output amp (I installed them on a buddies bike 2 weeks ago with the JL XD400/4 amp and they sounded good getting only 75 watts per channel).

Im sure others will chime in shortly. But thats what I have to offer based on my experience.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Will these work?
No, they won't. You missed this line in the description.

Coaxials install as a single unit with attached grilles
If the grilles are attached, how will you mount them in the fairing?

If you want 4 ohm Kickers, try the CS or KS models.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Malibyte
Tourer

Originally Posted by Eshaw301
Well, seeing as tho the amp is already on order and your budget for speakers is roughly $300, im guessing that your total budget is about $500? If so, I would do the following....

Return the PBR 300x4. Its is a dog...plain and simple. There are much better options out there than that. I would do the PBR300x2 and run the speakers in parallel if you choose to go with 4 ohm. This presents a 2 ohm load. If you are hell bent on doing a 4 channel amp, and keeping it in the fairing, i would go with the Soundstream pn4.520. Some have had FM issues with that amp, some have not. But not many have complained about its performance.

For speakers, I would do the BT 7.1, Kicker CS65, Infinity Kappa 62.11i, or the polk mm651 (beware of the issues with the polks however. They have had a run of problems recently. Im unsure if they have been solved or not). I currently run the Kappas and had them powered by a PBR300x2 and they rocked. I currently have them fed with a Soundstream TN4.900 sending each one 225 watts. They scream at you if you're not careful. Also, I have not heard the BT 7.1 but they get nothing but rave reviews here. The only thing about them is that they need power from what everyone says.

If you want to keep the PBR300x4, I would go with the kickers since they are 4 ohm. The other speakers (other than the 7.1) are all two ohm. I have heard the kickers in person (CS65) and they sound good with a small output amp (I installed them on a buddies bike 2 weeks ago with the JL XD400/4 amp and they sounded good getting only 75 watts per channel).

Im sure others will chime in shortly. But thats what I have to offer based on my experience.
Thanks very much for your reply - much appreciated! Amazon has a fire sale on the Soundstream amp, so I went ahead and ordered one; if it works out well I will send the Fosgate amp back. I think I am going to go with the Kickers at this point (but they're returnable, too, if I don't like them). Looking forward to much better sound!

Old 07-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

I think I am going to go with the Kickers at this point

Maybe you missed my post. They won't work. Just like the Polk UM speakers won't work. The speaker grilles are molded to the basket and not removable. They may work in your rear pods, depending on the size of the magnet and depth, but they will not work in your fairing.

Ask me how I know.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Malibyte
Tourer

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
Maybe you missed my post. They won't work. Just like the Polk UM speakers won't work. The speaker grilles are molded to the basket and not removable. They may work in your rear pods, depending on the size of the magnet and depth, but they will not work in your fairing.

Ask me how I know.
Ah, damn, you're right, I didn't see your post, don't know how I missed it. Will contact Amazon and cancel the order. Thanks for following up!

Last edited by Malibyte; 07-23-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Malibyte
Tourer

Wound up ordering these instead. A review from someone who seemed to know what he's doing said that they're the same as the Kappas - says they're both made by Harman-Kardon and use the same components and have the same specs...and the price was a bit better, too.

Amazon.com : JBL P662 6-1/2" Two-Way Power Series Speakers : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : JBL P662 6-1/2" Two-Way Power Series Speakers : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics

I was able to cancel the PBR300x4 before it shipped. Will be going with the the Soundstream amp.

Thanks to both of you. Much appreciated.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:26 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Wound up ordering these instead. A review from someone who seemed to know what he's doing said that they're the same as the Kappas - says they're both made by Harman-Kardon and use the same components and have the same specs...and the price was a bit better, too.

Amazon.com : JBL P662 6-1/2" Two-Way Power Series Speakers : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : JBL P662 6-1/2" Two-Way Power Series Speakers : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics

I was able to cancel the PBR300x4 before it shipped. Will be going with the the Soundstream amp.

Thanks to both of you. Much appreciated.
Dam. . I hate to be the "The Guy" to tell you. But you won't like those JBL's. They have absolutely no bass. You'll be much happier with the kickers Pioneer suggested. Been there done that.

Quick Reply: Kicker 6.5" Marine speakers & 2010 Ultra Limited?