Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Sound on HK Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 01:30 PM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default No Sound on HK Head Unit

My brother has a 2010 Ultra with the stock HK head unit and J&M speakers, no amp. He is having issues with the sound completely cutting out, but the radio display is still on. If he shuts the bike off and restarts the sound will come back for a bit but will cut out again. If it cuts out and he rocks the speaker switch on the dash the sound will come back for a bit again.

After a little research it sounds like this is a pretty common problem with the stock head unit. So question is....Does he send it to iron cross audio for $250 plus shipping and hope that is the permanent fix or replace it with aftermarket.

If aftermarket, what are some recommendations for head unit, wiring to keep bar controls, mounting brackets?? He would probably add an amp at the same time and swap out the speakers too.

What is the most cost effective? Or is now the time to go all in and be done?

Old 07-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by HD_Doobie
My brother has a 2010 Ultra with the stock HK head unit and J&M speakers, no amp. He is having issues with the sound completely cutting out, but the radio display is still on. If he shuts the bike off and restarts the sound will come back for a bit but will cut out again. If it cuts out and he rocks the speaker switch on the dash the sound will come back for a bit again.

After a little research it sounds like this is a pretty common problem with the stock head unit. So question is....Does he send it to iron cross audio for $250 plus shipping and hope that is the permanent fix or replace it with aftermarket.

If aftermarket, what are some recommendations for head unit, wiring to keep bar controls, mounting brackets?? He would probably add an amp at the same time and swap out the speakers too.

What is the most cost effective? Or is now the time to go all in and be done?
Most "Cost Effective" is Iron Cross. However,When finished he's still going to have the same unit he started with, which lacks all the high tech features of an aftermarket unit. It becomes a question of personal preference. To upgrade or not to upgrade. If he upgrades it's going to cost a little more but he will be a happy camper. Better sound, Bluetooth, and much more user friendly with an amp.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:54 PM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain

Update: We found a friend with a stock radio from out of a 2010 street glide, will this work on his ultra? I am not sure if the radios are exactly the same or if the replacement needs to be updated that it now has 4 speakers connected to it.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: We found a friend with a stock radio from out of a 2010 street glide, will this work on his ultra? I am not sure if the radios are exactly the same or if the replacement needs to be updated that it now has 4 speakers connected to it.
It will work but you won't have any fader control unless you get the dealer to activate it.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:12 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

if you send any Harley HK radio to Iron Cross, while they are servicing it, they can also activate the front/rear fade control, the Cb and the intercom features while they have it on the bench ,,,,,,,,,, that way when you get it back, it is ready for whatever you want to do ,,,,,

Old 07-21-2014, 04:31 PM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain

Thanks for the help. I think we are just going to throw the street glide radio in for now we have a 4 day trip coming up and don't have time to do a full system..He does want to replace everything this fall so does anyone have recommendations for a complete ultra set up for under $1000??

Old 07-21-2014, 05:57 PM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the help. I think we are just going to throw the street glide radio in for now we have a 4 day trip coming up and don't have time to do a full system..He does want to replace everything this fall so does anyone have recommendations for a complete ultra set up for under $1000??
$1000? Man, if you did your own work, you could build a MONSTER system for that amount of coin....if you go aftermarket components.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:49 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Many of HK issues are attributed to riser bolts making contact with bottom of HK radio. I'd check that area for rubbing and change bolts when replace radio. Here's link to service bulletin M1289.

https://app.box.com/shared/hsq6z6an9f

Old 07-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Gnarl78
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I 'd check with Iron Cross Audio to see what they can do for you. They serviced my HK in a week. For a long trip I'd want full functionality - CB, Intercom, rear outputs, fade control, etc.