Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSP Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:55 AM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default DSP Removal

I've installed the magic box, but I still feel like the DSP is affecting the sound quality. I've spoken to my local dealer several times and have even sent them the RF bulletin describing the flash settings for removing/adjusting the DSP for aftermarket amp installation, but they insist that they've never heard of this issue and that any flash done to the HU for this purpose will reset it to the original software version, thus bringing those problems back. Is there any way to do the flash yourself? Are they accurate with the excuse they gave me, or just trying to avoid doing the flash?

Old 07-13-2014, 10:44 AM
4nic8
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly id find a new dealer, there are too many out there to battle with one.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:46 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

jpalm ,,,,,,,,

go to whichever dealer you need to and have the radio flashed back to stock, which is "2-speakers NO-Amp" on a streetglide and "4-speakers, no-amp" on an Ultra or Ultra limited ,,,,,,,,,,

very simple for the dealer to do ,,,, and the fairing does NOT have to come off ,,,,,,,

Old 07-13-2014, 01:16 PM
jpalm
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
jpalm ,,,,,,,,

go to whichever dealer you need to and have the radio flashed back to stock, which is "2-speakers NO-Amp" on a streetglide and "4-speakers, no-amp" on an Ultra or Ultra limited ,,,,,,,,,,

very simple for the dealer to do ,,,, and the fairing does NOT have to come off ,,,,,,,
Does this level out the line out and eliminate the EQ curve?

Old 07-13-2014, 01:41 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

yes ,,, that is a good way to paraphrase it ,,,,,,,,

then when you add ANY aftermarket amp, you just need to dial some of the boomy base out of the amp, using the amplifier crossover frequency adjustments, to tune the speaker a little for the acoustical fairing speaker enclosures that come from Harley stock ,,,,,,

when using a J&M ROKKER XTP amp like this one, http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....=JAMP-250HC14P ,, I have optimized the DSP software controls inside the amp, for the stock Harley speaker enclosures when using these J&M ROKKER XX speakers http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....CRK-6652TW-RXX ,,,,,,

Old 07-14-2014, 12:12 AM
02BlueDeuce
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
jpalm ,,,,,,,,

Jpalm, did you have the HU flashed once already? or otherwise wouldn't your HU still be stock with the "2-speakers NO-Amp" setup?
The reason I ask is I'm getting ready to upgrade my amp and speakers and I just want to make sure if I haven't done any flashing yet my 14 SGS should be in the stock configuration John is referring to correct? All I would need to do is install amp, speakers and magic box and I would be good to go.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:40 AM
jpalm
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 02BlueDeuce
Jpalm, did you have the HU flashed once already? or otherwise wouldn't your HU still be stock with the "2-speakers NO-Amp" setup?
The reason I ask is I'm getting ready to upgrade my amp and speakers and I just want to make sure if I haven't done any flashing yet my 14 SGS should be in the stock configuration John is referring to correct? All I would need to do is install amp, speakers and magic box and I would be good to go.
Unless they did it at my 1k service without my knowledge, I've never had any flashes done to my HU. When scrolling through the HU I don't see any indication that it's configured for anything other than two speakers. I think Harley may have us against a wall on this one. I don't know how the stereo would sound without the Magic Box because I've never tried without it, but it definitely does sound like there is still some - albeit minor - effect on the speakers from the DSP, even with the Magic Box. Of course it could be that the pods don't allow for proper bass response, or some combination thereof.

One other thing. JMJohn has been a tremendous help to me, even though I'm not using his products. He may have some insight on your specific situation, and I think he may even have a solution through his amps, I'm just not in a position to buy one right now.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:48 AM
njstreetglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlueDeuce
i have the pbr 300x2 amp infinity kappa 62.11i magic box did not need to get new grils. gain around 10 hrtz around 125.

did not need to flash and for the money spent i couldnt be happier.

also keep in mind the scource of where your music is coming from. (pandora, xm app, or if you download music) some sources seem to sound better than others. just my opinion

Old 07-14-2014, 07:19 AM
jpalm
Road Captain

Originally Posted by njstreetglide
i have the pbr 300x2 amp infinity kappa 62.11i magic box did not need to get new grils. gain around 10 hrtz around 125.
The CW amp I'm running is pretty similar to the RF, from what I've been told. Have the gain set about 40% and hertz around 150-175.

did not need to flash and for the money spent i couldnt be happier.
For me it's been very finicky. Most songs are loud and clear as a bell, but sometimes I still get some low end distortion, but it could be the pods as well. I think the best way to truly know is to find some way to run them without the pods, but only BT has the brackets and they only sell them as a package with the 7.1 upgrade.

also keep in mind the scource of where your music is coming from. (pandora, xm app, or if you download music) some sources seem to sound better than others. just my opinion
Definitely noticed this. Songs that I've downloaded from iTunes are much clearer than those that I transferred over from elsewhere.