Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 03:01 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Upgrade advice

I have a 2010 SG and the HU quit playing about a year ago. I've read where this is a common problem with these units. I went to the local car audio store today and spoke with them about what they would recommend as an upgrade. I am on a tight budget and I'm only wanting to run the 2 fairing speakers. I will probably replace the HU at some point but I do not plan to add more speakers in the future so the 2 I upgrade will need to be high end to get the sound I want. I get all of my music through my iPhone so whatever I do it must be compatible with that device. They recommended a Kicker Pxi50 amp and Kicker 6.5 Cs speakers. They told me I could just run a cord straight from my amp to my phone mount and my stock HU would become a nice looking clock lol. I can get these items through them for $290 or amazon for about $200 (if I'm looking at the right speakers). Does anyone have any experience with either of these components that could offer some feedback?

Old 07-10-2014, 04:23 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need a new 'local car audio' shop.....I would check with Iron Cross about your head unit, for starters.....the amp they recommend, ( local audio shop), is a joke.

It's tough to use the terms, ' high end' and 'tight budget' in the same sentence, but you do have options !!

Old 07-10-2014, 05:22 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea maybe I shoulda said best bang for the buck. Are those not good speakers? They sounded great to me inside the special room built for acoustical perfection LOL

Old 07-10-2014, 06:40 AM
tonymontanna1983
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

You've got much better options than those trinkets. Check out the Sony radios with the "tune tray", add a Fosgate amp with a pair of these http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...Size/TS-D1602R and you will be happy for sure.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:14 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tonymontanna1983
You've got much better options than those trinkets. Check out the Sony radios with the "tune tray", add a Fosgate amp with a pair of these http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...Size/TS-D1602R and you will be happy for sure.
I looked at a Sony and my iPhone 5s wouldn't fit in the tray with the case on it. If I went with the Kicker amp I could get better speakers then upgrade the HU later. I thought it was a cool little amp

Last edited by scott01; 07-10-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:30 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/All...%20volts&avf=N
All of these receivers offer IPhone control, front USB port, steering wheel control and 4V+ preamp output. Great options for your IPhone. Lots of inexpensive, wonderful 2ch amps. Also huge selection of 6.5" adapter ready speakers that will be a dramatic improvement over stock. Gonna have to spend more than $290 though

Old 07-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by scott01
I looked at a Sony and my iPhone 5s wouldn't fit in the tray with the case on it. If I went with the Kicker amp I could get better speakers then upgrade the HU later. I thought it was a cool little amp
Trust me Scott . . .Do not buy that amp!! Any aftermarket radio would drive those speakers better than that amp. Have you looked at the specs sir? RMS power @ 4 ohms 15 watts??? As GP stated. . That amp is a joke. Now the speakers are nice but you are going to need a decent amp to push em. As Tonymontanna suggested. Go with the Sony tune tray and run a USB stick in the tray. You can always Bluetooth your Iphone 5 to it. As far as the amp goes just keep in mind those CS67 Kickers will need at least 100 watts of CLEAN power to make you happy!

Old 07-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member

Wow....that amp puts out an impressive 25 watts per channel at 2 ohms....all for $200! I cant believe they actually sell crap like that. And people BUY IT! Anyways....like the others have said....DO NOT BUY THAT AMP! You can get one of the soundstreams that will fit in your fairing for less than $200. I have no experience with the kickers, but I can tell you that the kappas are the poop. Pair em with the Rokker tweeters and holy hell...you'll have a hell of a time keeping the music at a reasonable sound level. The clarity is unbelievable. I would also look at the PBR300x2 as well. Its tried and true and perfect for what you are trying to do. I also have an amp for sale that may work depending on the speakers you choose. Its a JL audio XD400/4. Just dont use it to try and power the Kickers. It does an excellent job currently with the kappas I have it pushing.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:03 PM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok maybe I need to buy this system a piece at the time. I haven't upgraded a car stereo since the early 90's when my Pioneer super tuner 3 was the **** lol. So I'm guessing I should start with a decent head unit, install kit and handlebar control adapter. Then speakers. Then amp? Should I buy a kit through a vendor like Biketronics or someone else to get a better deal?

Old 07-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Biketronics is a great place to start!! First thing you have to do is stay away from that freakin local audio shop. . .Those boys are gonna kill you. lol What kind of budget are you working with and do you plan on expanding your system in the near future or Just sticking with the two speaker set up?

Quick Reply: Upgrade advice