Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 flhtk

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Sheep
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 flhtk

Ok. I have a 2010 FLHTK with the stock HK radio. I do have a JM Rokker 500w amp and Rokker speakers.

My issue is that the last couple of times riding my radio has been turning itself off and back on. It off and immediately back on. I notice since the music stops. Look at the radio display and see it restarting.

Not sure what the issue might be. Any suggestions what to try before I pull it out for repair?

Old 07-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Jetblack3
Tourer
Received 287 Likes on 127 Posts

When you say the radio shuts off and comes back on are you seeing the display screen go out or are you just thinking this is it because you lose your sound ?

Have experienced something similar to what you are saying myself and have seen others have similar issue. Ended up being a bad speaker. Since your driving a limited I'll assume you are running a 4 speaker set-up ?

Try unplugging one speaker at a time and see if problem persists. Plug back in and move to next speaker. Keep doing this until you have checked all 4 speakers. Your system will play fine once you have the bad speaker unplugged, now you have located the blown speaker. Replace under warranty if you wish or switch gears and try another brand if your looking for a different sound.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:12 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

that sounds like a short/loose connection in the wiring harness on the back of the radio. Pull out the 23 pin connector plug and make sure all the pins are seated correctly in the connector and not loose.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Sheep
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
that sounds like a short/loose connection in the wiring harness on the back of the radio. Pull out the 23 pin connector plug and make sure all the pins are seated correctly in the connector and not loose.
I lose sound, look down to a blank display and watch it come back up from the HD emblem.

I got in touch with Iron Cross Audio and they didn't think it was the unit but a power/ground issue. I checked the battery connections, positive and ground, and tightened them a bit. Then took off the fairing and checked all the connectors. Still doing it.

So I took it to the dealer (32 miles and it probably cycled off 10-15 times on the way over) and they took it apart, checked all the connections and added dielectric grease plus checked the continuity of all the wiring. Whatever they did, it stopped doing it while there. Then they washed it.

Riding home about halfway it started again. Then stopped.

Called the dealer and they are leaning towards head unit. I don't think so. Msg from Iron Cross was to check the charging system (below 8.5v and above 15.8v and it will turn off the stereo) and the battery. They also suggested checking the fuses since they may be partially toasted or corroded.

So pulled the fuses. The fuse part was good but the plugs were slightly corroded. So cleaned them and reinstalled.

Then a 50-minute test drive. Didn't cycle off/on once.

I'm hoping that was the issue and I'll replace the fuses tomorrow.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Sheep
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jetblack3
When you say the radio shuts off and comes back on are you seeing the display screen go out or are you just thinking this is it because you lose your sound ?

Have experienced something similar to what you are saying myself and have seen others have similar issue. Ended up being a bad speaker. Since your driving a limited I'll assume you are running a 4 speaker set-up ?

Try unplugging one speaker at a time and see if problem persists. Plug back in and move to next speaker. Keep doing this until you have checked all 4 speakers. Your system will play fine once you have the bad speaker unplugged, now you have located the blown speaker. Replace under warranty if you wish or switch gears and try another brand if your looking for a different sound.
I had the bad speaker issue once before with this bike. Right front speaker was bad. Rokker Speaker direct from J&M and they sent me 4 new speakers. Problem solved.

I lose sound, look down to a blank face plate then watch it come back up from the HD Emblem.

I "think" the issue was fuses and have a more detailed response below.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheep
I had the bad speaker issue once before with this bike. Right front speaker was bad. Rokker Speaker direct from J&M and they sent me 4 new speakers. Problem solved.

I lose sound, look down to a blank face plate then watch it come back up from the HD Emblem.

I "think" the issue was fuses and have a more detailed response below.
Hmmm that surprises me that it was the fuses. . . . I learn something new on this forum every day. Never seen that one coming. . .lol

Old 07-06-2014, 09:26 AM
Sheep
Tourer

another 20 mile trip this morning to a 2 mile away gas station to fill up. No issues. Hopefully its fixed.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:38 PM
Sheep
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Hmmm that surprises me that it was the fuses. . . . I learn something new on this forum every day. Never seen that one coming. . .lol
Wasn't the fuse. Hadn't been riding due to other issues and when I started back it was doing it again. Was taking it to another dealer to let them try and it left me by the side of the road.

I was watching the volt meter on the way down. It's sit at 14.2 or so then drop. Sometimes to 12, or 11 and even 10.

At 12 the headlamp flickers

At 11 the radio and headlamp cuts off

At 10 the bike cuts off and restarts

At 0 you coast to a stop.

So a tow truck assisted me with the remaining distance.

It drove the tech crazy today until he found it had a bad battery cable. I pick it up tomorrow and we see if that fixes the problem.