Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rockford Fosgate vs ARC Audio???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:52 PM
rkoener
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rockford Fosgate vs ARC Audio???

I bought the 300x2 RF amp and a pair of 6.5 Kicker speakers to install in my 08 Street Glide. When I pulled the fairing off I was surprised to find an ARC Audio KS 125.2 BX2 Amp and XDi602 speakers! The reason I was upgrading in the first place was for better sound in the hopes that my passenger could hear it better. Honestly I think the bulk of my sound issues is based on the hidden antenna that is on the bike. If I am in town it does well, but get out in the country and the channels don't come in well.

My question is... How does the RF amp/Kicker speaker combo compare to the ARC Audio stuff that is already installed in the bike? Is it worth swapping it out while I have the faring off? I played with the adjustments a bit on the ARC amp but I think I need to do some research on what are the best settings.

Any help/thoughts are appreciated.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:07 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Can't answer for the speakers, but I just replaced an Arc KS125.2 with a PBR300x2. I can't really hear any difference but the extra power probably drives the speakers more efficiently. I recently sold my Arc on Ebay and got pretty decent $$ for it....

Old 06-11-2014, 06:59 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by rkoener
I bought the 300x2 RF amp and a pair of 6.5 Kicker speakers to install in my 08 Street Glide. When I pulled the fairing off I was surprised to find an ARC Audio KS 125.2 BX2 Amp and XDi602 speakers! The reason I was upgrading in the first place was for better sound in the hopes that my passenger could hear it better. Honestly I think the bulk of my sound issues is based on the hidden antenna that is on the bike. If I am in town it does well, but get out in the country and the channels don't come in well.

My question is... How does the RF amp/Kicker speaker combo compare to the ARC Audio stuff that is already installed in the bike? Is it worth swapping it out while I have the faring off? I played with the adjustments a bit on the ARC amp but I think I need to do some research on what are the best settings.

if I were you, I'd put the speakers in first and adjust your gains. If you're not happy with it, then change the amp out. That little ARC amp is a good amp.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:11 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Hmmm that's interesting! IMO you can do a couple things. The ARC KS 125.2 BX Mini is a great amp at 2 ohms and speakers with high sensitivity. . . . Not so much at 4 ohms. (70 watts @ 4 ohms). As it sits the Kickers and the fosgate with blow the present set up away. On the other hand if you go out and simply buy a set of infinity 62.11i speakers and pair them with the mini it will sound just as good but better with the fosgate. . . lol The problem is the speakers. The specs suck at 4 ohms and 86 DB. Interesting dilemma for sure! Before I did anything I would throw the Kickers in and see how they sound with the mini. Just know they are going to sound a hell of a lot better with the fosgate!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:13 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
if I were you, I'd put the speakers in first and adjust your gains. If you're not happy with it, then change the amp out. That little ARC amp is a good amp.
Sorry Nutz . . We must have been posting at the same time.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:20 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Sorry Nutz . . We must have been posting at the same time.
No worries bud.. all here to help..

Old 06-11-2014, 08:25 AM
rkoener
Intermediate

So then you are saying the ARC speakers are not as good as the Kickers? The speakers are an easy swap, so I can change them for sure. I just hated to take all this out if it was better or at least comparable.

Any thoughts on settings for the ARC amp?

Old 06-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

So then you are saying the ARC speakers are not as good as the Kickers? The speakers are an easy swap, so I can change them for sure. I just hated to take all this out if it was better or at least comparable.

Both those speakers are 4 ohm. The Arc amp isn't very powerful at 4 ohm. IMO, you have 2 choices. Use either set of 4 ohm speakers you currently have with the pbr300x2, or get a set of 2 ohm speakers to use with the Arc.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Kickers are better speakers for your application. (My opinion may be a little bias due to me being a huge Kicker fan. . lol) UltraNutz has a "Sticky" on the top of the audio forum that will tell you exactly what you need to do to set the gains. Refer to the setting gains by ear section.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:22 AM
rkoener
Intermediate

Well, I don't really want to buy another set of speakers. So I guess my best bet is to change both the amp and the speakers out. I guess I can put the ARC stuff on Ebay then. I know price doesn't mean quality all the time but I thought since the ARC amp was $300 and the RF is $150 that maybe it was a better unit.

Quick Reply: Rockford Fosgate vs ARC Audio???