Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new head unit recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 08:11 PM
njhonker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new head unit recomendations?

hey everybody...I have a 2008 FLHT...of course came stock with NO radio...I installed a Biketronics kit on it about a year after I got the bike in 2010. it's a marine Sony head unit CD with plug in for Ipod . It has worked fine for years but CD's skip like crazy on it now and it drives me nuts. it worked fine when I plugged in my Ipod but that broke a while back too. was wanting a new head unit that I could put my Nano inside of...any suggestions? I want to put tweeters in my dummy plugs also where the oil and temp gauges would be...mine are just plastic dummy covers....???

Old 05-28-2014, 08:22 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by njhonker
hey everybody...I have a 2008 FLHT...of course came stock with NO radio...I installed a Biketronics kit on it about a year after I got the bike in 2010. it's a marine Sony head unit CD with plug in for Ipod . It has worked fine for years but CD's skip like crazy on it now and it drives me nuts. it worked fine when I plugged in my Ipod but that broke a while back too. was wanting a new head unit that I could put my Nano inside of...any suggestions? I want to put tweeters in my dummy plugs also where the oil and temp gauges would be...mine are just plastic dummy covers....???
Here you go:

http://shop.sonicelectronix.com/sony...FeHm7AodIT0Aog

Old 05-28-2014, 08:28 PM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Choices-choices

Plenty of options and choices out there. I researched the forum and used feedback from past threads and came with a Alpine BT137HD. Or the 138...has XM/Surius Radio. Biketronics had some good stuff too. Kenwood are also used here. Its what your needs. I like the Blutooth, Pandora, CD, Ipod, Thumbdrive and HD radio, being near the Pa capital and Baltimore, HD has CD quality sound. Good Luck, D

Old 05-28-2014, 09:02 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

don't forget to look at one of the new Jensen/Harley radios
,,,,, we have 5 of them coming in for the June rallies ,,,,

Old 05-28-2014, 10:48 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Damn good find, Gannicus! That's a heckuva price for the DSX-S310BT!

Since you're intending on running an iPod Nano, any of the "TuneTray" models: DSX-S310BTX/DSX-S210X/DSX-S100/DSX-MS60 (marine) will work. If you don't get that deal Gannicus posted, you still have options: the DSX-S210X and DSX-S310BTX only differ in the Bluetooth capability: the S310BTX has it, the S210X doesn't. However, the DSX-S210X DOES allow Pandora control via the front USB port like the DSX-S310BTX does. The DSX-S100 is the base model (the DSX-MS60 is nearly identical to the S100 except for the conformal coating and display), and doesn't offer variable color buttons (blue only - the 210/310 switch between red & blue), no front panel USB, lower-quality display and only 2v pre-amp outputs (the 210/310 preamp outputs are 4v). Just be aware that these models are being phased out by Sony, so finding them new might start getting tough. Jump on that deal Gannicus posted!

The TuneTray will hold iPod Nano/iPod Touch/iPhone up to the 4th Gen of each device that use the old dock connector (Sony provides a dock connector to USB plug), as the TuneTray will only physically accommodate those devices/generations (iPod Touch 5th gen and up and iPhone 5/5S/5C won't physically fit in the TuneTray as they're too tall - I tried!). Also, Sony doesn't offer a Lightning adapter to interface with the internal USB port. While the hard-drive based iPods will fit in the TuneTray, they aren't recommended due to the vibration of the deck (I had a poor experience with making my 160GB iPod Classic work right). ANY Nano should work though- there's enough room even if you needed to use a Lightning cable to connect to the internal USB port.

If you want satellite radio, all the DSX models are XM-ready but you need a
CNP2000UCA CNP2000UCA
and
Sony-specific interface cable Sony-specific interface cable
to add satellite radio, as none of the DSX model decks are "SiriusXM-ready" compatible. Keep in mind, you'll have that interface box, the XM tuner box and the antenna to stuff under the fairing, and the connection to the deck will be via the "bus control" plug AND you have to connect the audio to the RCA 'aux-in' plugs. The newer "SiriusXM-ready"-marked head units use just the bus connection to the deck- no "aux" inputs are used and there's no "translator" box, but none of the DSX family offers that tech.

In any case, your existing handlebar-control interface and mounting kit should work fine with any of the Sony DSX models; I ran the BT1005.

The only other gripe I had (aside from Apple's device progression making the TuneTray obsolete) was that the DSX-S310BTX screen is VERY hard to read in direct sunlight, but that's pretty much true of all car stereos. The displays on the S210/S310 are VERY nice- 3 lines of text, numerous "wallpapers" to choose from, and the clock is always displayed (though it's small)! If the faceplate design wasn't so shiny (a "domed" face that's very reflective), it would be a perfect display!

For what it's worth, I just swapped my DSX-S310BTX for a Sony MEX-70BT since the TuneTray was pretty much useless for me. Yes, I can (and did) run a thumb drive packed with MP3s in the TuneTray, but I wanted to run music off my iPhone 5 while it charged, and that wouldn't be possible keeping the DSX-S310BTX without mounting the iPhone on my handlebars. I wanted a head unit with both front and rear USB ports, which none DSX models has, and the MEX-70BT a rear mounted USB port (on a 5' long cable!!) and a front panel USB port, so it works better for me. I'm now able to run the rear USB cable under the tank (the Sony cable reaches all the way to the battery!) that I connected a 6' Lightning cable to. That's run into my Tour Pak so my iPhone is connected directly but not exposed to the elements while hanging off the handlebars. Since I'm LIKELY to use my next phone upgrade on the new, bigger iPhone rumored to be coming out this fall, I won't invest in cases/mounts for the iPhone 5 which will end up obsolete in 4 months!