Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is The Difference Between These Amps REALLY worth $530

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 04:50 PM
SmootheGlide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is The Difference Between These Amps REALLY worth $530

Entering phase 2 of my stereo install purchase and I am looking for an amp to run 4 Pioneer TS-D6902R(s) (2 in each saddlebag lid)...I am trying to find the best 'bang for the buck' and it was suggested to look into the Power Acoustik
RZ4-2000D but I am just curious why the big difference in
price for these to amps:

http://poweracoustik.com/store/rz4-2000d.html (4 x 250w @ 2ohm) $120 (4.75"
x 1.62" x 11.125")

http://www.biketronics.com/bt4180/ (4 x 230w @ 2ohm) $650* (7" x 5" x 1.8")

I hear many rave reviews about the Biketronics 4180 but on paper the Power Acoustik has better numbers and is $530 cheaper... still new to motorcycle audio but I have been around car audio since Pyramid Speakers and Pull Out
Car Stereos and have done MANY car stereo installs...so not having any experience with either of these amps, the only thing I could come up with is it's like comparing a JL Audio or Focal Amp with a Pyle or Boss Amp- numbers may be same on the box but when installed there is no competition... Anyone have experience with the Power Acoustik RZ4-2000
and does it truly put out 250w x 4 @ 2 ohms (or close)? Any other thoughts?

Thanks In Advance!!!**

Old 05-28-2014, 05:35 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SmootheGlide
Entering phase 2 of my stereo install purchase and I am looking for an amp to run 4 Pioneer TS-D6902R(s) (2 in each saddlebag lid)...I am trying to find the best 'bang for the buck' and it was suggested to look into the Power Acoustik
price for these to amps:

x 1.62" x 11.125")

I hear many rave reviews about the Biketronics 4180 but on paper the Power Acoustik has better numbers and is $530 cheaper... still new to motorcycle audio but I have been around car audio since Pyramid Speakers and Pull Out
Car Stereos and have done MANY car stereo installs...so not having any experience with either of these amps, the only thing I could come up with is it's like comparing a JL Audio or Focal Amp with a Pyle or Boss Amp- numbers may be same on the box but when installed there is no competition... Anyone have experience with the Power Acoustik RZ4-2000

Thanks In Advance!!!**
Most people will probably be happy with the Power Acoustik. It has impressive numbers. If it was available before I bought what I did, I would have given it a try. Never heard or seen one so I can't compare it to what I have.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:13 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I can't give exact answers about the actual power output of the Power Acoustik Razor RZ4.2000D (don't have the tools or skills to measure that stuff), but in my short experience with it replacing a Soundstream PN4.520D I have to say it's got to be pushing more power to my speakers than the SS was. The system is louder and I don't notice any lack of clarity or excess noise. Also, the PA's size is pretty close to the SS amp, despite the listed dimensions. It's possibly half-inch longer at each end but the same width, so using the "UltraNutz" installation method (creating "straps" at each end to grab the inner fairing supports) is the same as with an SS PN4.520D.

As far as comparing the two, I have no experience with the Biketronics amp, so I'm not help at all there.

I'm thinking for the money, it's certainly worth it to grab a Razor and give it a shot in your setup. If it works for you, you have that $530 for shiny stuff! If not, I believe Sonic Electronix has a decent return policy, so the trial shouldn't really cost you much at all.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:30 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I can't give exact answers about the actual power output of the Power Acoustik Razor RZ4.2000D (don't have the tools or skills to measure that stuff), but in my short experience with it replacing a Soundstream PN4.520D I have to say it's got to be pushing more power to my speakers than the SS was. The system is louder and I don't notice any lack of clarity or excess noise. Also, the PA's size is pretty close to the SS amp, despite the listed dimensions. It's possibly half-inch longer at each end but the same width, so using the "UltraNutz" installation method (creating "straps" at each end to grab the inner fairing supports) is the same as with an SS PN4.520D.
did you lose FM with the AR? would you happen to have a link to the "strap" post? possibly thinking about giving thr Razor a try but SS currently sits already very tight on the home made bracket...

Old 05-28-2014, 08:02 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

AAWAV: I haven't lost FM...but I am not sure if I'm in the minority there or not.

Originally Posted by vhmike73
As I recalled (or at least thought I remembered; I rarely use terrestrial radio!!), my FM reception isn't bad at all, even with the PowerAcoustik Razor RZ4.2000D amp in the fairing:

http://youtu.be/Mz1g3YT3XUc
Also, below is a description of the mounting: I can't remember the post from UltraNutZ where he had pics of what he did to install the amp in the manner below, but this is the "UltraNutZ" method I speak of:

Originally Posted by The Q
1sweetglide 08, the amp does not fit tight between the fairing brackets. Looking at what Ultranutz did, he put the mounting brackets under the OEM bracket that mounts to the radio and the amp on top of that same bracket. Then he installed screws to "sandwich" the amp and homemade bracket between the OEM bracket that mounts the radio to the upright fairing brackets.
There's no "bracket" like Scott Ezzell's design: this is simply two strips of aluminum or sheet metal about an inch wide by four inches long (thin stock, like what your garage door opener hangs from) that sandwich the amp's mount points around the horizontal portion of the inner fairing support just above where the supports form the 'box' that the radio sits in. The amp isn't touching the radio (aftermarket); there's about a half inch or so gap...the only parts in contact are the ends of the amp sitting on the fairing brackets.

As far as size: the PA is barely longer on each end than the SS; the biggest hurdle is that damn wire block: the pics on Sonic Electronix show the speakers connecting via a wire harness, but the amp I received has the screw-down terminals for the speakers AND the power/ground/remote-in wires, so that adds some length. However, the mounting holes are the same width as the SS, so the strap method should work the same...the wiring block (and rca plugs on the other end) still clear the inner fairing supports. Your inner fairing should look sorta like this when you're done:

Old 05-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by SmootheGlide
price for these to amps:

x 1.62" x 11.125")

Thanks In Advance!!!**
I bought a power acoustik amp after VHMike shared his experience with us. But like Mike I don't have the equipment to bench test it. But if Nutz or GP has the equipment I would gladly donate it for testing purposes if they are interested. Right now it's just sitting on my shelf in the unopened box. Specs look dam good. But it would be nice to know the actual specs. I need a volunteer. . . lol

Last edited by Gannicus; 05-28-2014 at 08:16 PM.