Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Touring Radio Flash Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 01:49 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts
Default 2014 Touring Radio Flash Question

I posted this in the Rushmore section as well and it was suggested to ask here as well.

For those who have installed an Aftermarket AMP SPECIFIC TO '14 Model Touring and had the dealer do a radio flash to remove the DSP settings, can you tell me the exact settings your dealer chose in Digital Tech Set-up? More importantly, Can you tell me if you are now receiving any Diagnostic codes, specifically in the the radio section, a U0185 code. (code means no communication with AMP 1)
If you unfamiliar of how to check if you have codes perform the following,
While holding in the odometer trip button, turn on ignition.
Odometer will display Diagnostic's. press and release odometer trip button to scroll through the modules. ECM, BCM, Anit-Lock, Gauges, Radio. There should be a "N" after each. If "Y" is present press odometer trip and hold till is displays the codes, then scroll through.. You can reset them as well by holding in the odometer trip button at each code and and it will ask if you want to clear it.
Thanks for any input...

Old 05-23-2014, 06:38 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

Really, No one can answer if they have installed an aftermarket amp and if so whether they have codes or not??

Old 05-23-2014, 09:30 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
Really, No one can answer if they have installed an aftermarket amp and if so whether they have codes or not??
Following you around joe and as I stated in the other thread no codes with amp and speakers,but not real happy with sound don't get me wrong its 10x better than stock,but has that tinny sound.No codes though,let you know on the flash on tuesday.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:28 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Actually, according to other's experiences it could make it worse

Old 05-24-2014, 12:25 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

2014 Radio FLASH/The Real "Skinny"

The new Harley Infotainment radio on the 2014 Ultra & Ultra Limited, come from Harley with the front & rear speaker outputs active with front/rear fader control active ,,,,,,

The new Harley Infotainment radio on the 2014 StreetGlide, (either version) comes from Harley with ONLY the front speaker outputs active, and NO front/rear fader control ,,,,,,

If you add the Harley BOOM speakers and amplifier to either system, along with the dealer computer FLASH for the same, the REAR speaker outputs from the radio are deactivated, and the Harley BOOM amplifier itself becomes the front/rear fading component of the system, directed by the radio for front/rear fader controls ,,,,,

IN ADDITION, the DSP inside the Harley radio is altered, supposedly for better sound, when in fact, major portions of the low frequency bass response are removed, along with increases in the midrange and upper frequencies ,,,,,,

This DSP alteration does NOT improve the sound of the audio system at all ,, in fact just the opposite takes place with this special Harley radio digital flash ,,,,,,

For J&Ms new Daytona Blue 2014 StreetGlide we added J&Ms new 5X7" rear saddlebag lid speakers, http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ID=HSDR-5X7-14 and the 500w ROKKER XTP amplifier http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....MP-500HC14-SGP ,,,,,,,

THEN we took the bike down to the Harley dealer and had the Harley computer FLASH performed JUST to activate the rear speaker outputs (no amp) ,,,, this particular flash from Harley retains the original superior sound and bass response from the radio, but activates the handlebar controls for front/rear fader ,,,,, system performance is now fantastic ,,,,

For J&Ms new Vivid Black 2014 Ultra Ltd, we added J&Ms 500w ROKKER XTP amplifier for the ultra ,,,,,,, see http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....MP-500HC14-ULP ,,,,

Last edited by JMJOHN; 05-24-2014 at 11:45 PM. Reason: incorrect links
Old 05-24-2014, 08:59 PM
mikeman54
Supporter

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Actually, according to other's experiences it could make it worse
If it makes it worse,The RF 300/2 AND 4 Kicker CS 6.5s will be coming out and be in the classified and be calling BT since there supposed to have the 14 setup on the market. UltraNutz your the man on this stuff,I've had this apart 3 times and messed with the gain,have it on HP AND HTZ SET properly to my ears,and still sounds tinny.With all the good reviews on this amd and speakers it should Rock and it really disappoints??

Last edited by mikeman54; 05-24-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:48 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Mikeman ,,,,,,,,

I now have a whole bunch of experience with the 2014s ,,,,,,

I can help you with everything you need to get the whole system installed one more time, then you can enjoy without working on your new 2014 all the time ,,,,,

all plug-n-play ,,,, and listed here http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=49 ,,,,,,,,

Old 05-25-2014, 07:43 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeman54

If it makes it worse,The RF 300/2 AND 4 Kicker CS 6.5s will be coming out and be in the classified and be calling BT since there supposed to have the 14 setup on the market. UltraNutz your the man on this stuff,I've had this apart 3 times and messed with the gain,have it on HP AND HTZ SET properly to my ears,and still sounds tinny.With all the good reviews on this amd and speakers it should Rock and it really disappoints??
my first guess (because it's a great amp and pretty darn good speakers to boot) would be the DSP on the 14 radio. If you're using a 2 channel amp on 4 speakers only and not concerned with fader control, bring the bike by the dealer and have them flash the head unit. Just know this will turn off the rear outputs of the head unit.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:33 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
my first guess (because it's a great amp and pretty darn good speakers to boot) would be the DSP on the 14 radio. If you're using a 2 channel amp on 4 speakers only and not concerned with fader control, bring the bike by the dealer and have them flash the head unit. Just know this will turn off the rear outputs of the head unit.
Agree, then you will get the real sound from that AMP/Speaker set-up you installed and will begin to enjoy it.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:49 PM
mikeman54
Supporter

I have them wired in sequence or bridged,not concerned about fader as long as all 4 speakers are producing quality music not this mono sound I'm hearing now.WIll have it flashed on Tuesday with my fingers crossed and come out with a big grin on my face instead of this frown,pretty sad when OL says it sounds like its all highs no mid or bass,in some songs I can even tell there 's some parts of vocals or bass not even playing almost like a mono system.WTF??

Quick Reply: 2014 Touring Radio Flash Question