Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Touring Radio Flash Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:09 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeman54
I have them wired in sequence or bridged,not concerned about fader as long as all 4 speakers are producing quality music not this mono sound I'm hearing now.WIll have it flashed on Tuesday with my fingers crossed and come out with a big grin on my face instead of this frown,pretty sad when OL says it sounds like its all highs no mid or bass,in some songs I can even tell there 's some parts of vocals or bass not even playing almost like a mono system.WTF??
just make sure before you go flash it that your speaker wiring is correct otherwise it's still going to sound like crap.

make sure + and - outputs of the amp are going to their respective + and - posts on all the speakers.

you should have this wired as such;
rear right + and front right + tied together going to the grey wire on the RF amp
rear right - and front right - tied together going to the grey/black wire on the RF amp
rear left + and front left + tied together going to the white wire on the RF amp
rear left - and front left - tied together going to the white/black wire on the RF amp.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

ultranutz ,,,,,,,

correct me if I am wrong but I think many of us are making this whole Harley "FLASH" thing for the 2014s, way too complicated,,,,,,

from what I remember, standing in front of the Harley service computer ,,,,,,, you have 4 basic choices ,,,,,

1 ,,,,,, StreetGlide stock, no amp, no front-rear fade ,,,,,

2 ,,,,,,, Ultra stock, no amp, activate font-rear fade ,,,,,,,,

3 ,,,,,,,, flash for Harley BOOM amps, which removes bass response and disables rear output channels on the radio ,,,,,,,,

4 ,,,,,,, special flash for 2014 CVO Ultra ,,,,,, lowers output volume on the radio, removes bass response, disables rear output channels on radio, and a few other complicated things tied into the special features on the CVO ,,,,,,

so in summary ,,,,,,, if you intend to use "any" brand of aftermarket amplifier ,,,,,, have the radio flashed for NO AMP and YOUR CHOICE on whether you want to activate front/rear fade, and if you do, it will turn on the rear output channels of the radio, just like it is stock on the Ultra ,,,,,

have I made any sense here?

Old 05-26-2014, 11:53 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

But doesn't ultra flash with no amp leave the DSP active? That is where the problem lies IMO

Old 05-26-2014, 12:07 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
But doesn't ultra flash with no amp leave the DSP active? That is where the problem lies IMO
Yes you are correct, no AMP flash leaves the DSP settings in the radio.
The choices are:
SG No AMP 2 Speakers
Ultra No AMP 4 Speaker
1 AMP 2 Speakers
2 AMP 4 Speakers

Old 05-26-2014, 12:44 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

the DSP settings inside the radio, when it is flashed for NO AMP, just like it is stock, are the best in my opinion, when you add an aftermarket amp, so that you don't have the significant loss of bass response, especially when you start the engine,,,,,

Old 05-26-2014, 04:33 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
the DSP settings inside the radio, when it is flashed for NO AMP, just like it is stock, are the best in my opinion, when you add an aftermarket amp, so that you don't have the significant loss of bass response, especially when you start the engine,,,,,
the best option in your opinion may be a correct statement for your programmable equipment that incorporates yet another DSP feature to counter the already existing DSP but not for aftermarket. That DSP is simply a typical ridiculous HD attempt to lock people down to an integrated solution by using their own crappy equipment. IMO HD would be best to leave a radio off of every bike made and allow the owner to choose what they want to install themselves and instead focus on making a good bike better and leave all the frivolous crap to the owner. No instead they give owners the ability to be reading text messages while riding; yes someone has already figured out a bypass for the texting thing to show up on screen while moving. Isn't that special?

I'm still at a "technical" loss for words as to the comment of loss of bass response by starting the engine.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:41 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts

Ultra... it's a waste of typing skills to challenge him or even ask him to explain.. You are correct, H.D. should focus on the mechanical piece of the Motorcycle and leave the radio/gps and all to someone else.. I too do not get the comment of " loos of bass when the engine is started" but then again with all the commas in there not sure what he really was saying..
This thread got so off track from what I was truly asking of those who installed an aftermarket amp, "NOT A J&M", had the radio flashed to ad an amp on a two speaker set-up to remove the DSP, and if so do you have any codes?

But Ultra as always I enjoy your comments.. Happy Memorial Day to you my friend!!

Old 05-26-2014, 07:59 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

ultranutz ,,,,,,,,

I don't make up stuff like that ,,,,, it is a fact, turn the system on, on any 2014 without starting the engine ,,,,,,,

then when you get the radio all set the way you want it, start the engine ,,,,,,,, then crank the volume way up ,,,,, listen real good, now just switch the ignition to the accessory position and listen closely to the sound coming thru the speakers as it changes ,,,,,

that is WHY I not only conduct performance tests on the 2014s with the engine off, I do it again with the engine RINNING both sitting still and on the highway, using the same audio tracks, same speakers, amplifier, speed on the highway etc,,,,,,,,

this is what I have been trying to tell you and everyone else ,,,,,, there is such a significant difference in audio system performance, both sitting still and on the highway, between the stock Harley & Harley Boom upgrades ,,, and the J&M ROKKER XX/XTP stuff that it is really like night & day ,,, just like I show in the video ,,,,,,

SAME THING applies with the J&M performance series amps, with the old fashion dial controls (((see http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=50 )))) they work very well also when they are adjusted correctly ,,,,,

you do NOT want the Harley Flash for their amps ,,,, you want to leave it stock OR if it is already flashed for an amp, then you want to flash it back to stock, (no-amp) with or without front/rear fade ,,,,,

I know what I am talking about here ,,, we own two new 2014s ourselves, and my head audio installer has a 3rd one he owns ,,,,,,,,,

we live and breath this stuff every day ,,,, our bikes are being loaded into our trailer now headed for AMERICADE tomorrow night ,,,,,

Old 05-26-2014, 08:02 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

Gliding Joe,,,,,,,

you do NOT want the Harley Flash for their amps ,,,, you want to leave it stock OR if it is already flashed for an amp, then you want to flash it back to stock, (no-amp) with or without front/rear fade ,,,,,

it does not matter what brand or model of amplifier you are using, you want the same thing ,,,,,,

and please dispense with the insults ,,,,,

Old 05-26-2014, 10:08 PM
austinflhxs
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an aftermarket amp.... JM Audio ROKKER XT-P 250W part #JAMP-250HC14P... I did not flash anything and i have run diag codes and do not show anything.

Quick Reply: 2014 Touring Radio Flash Question