Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do not but polk audio!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 02:00 AM
Brew61
Cruiser
Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Well I am glad it worked out for you.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:05 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Too many people put way too much emphasis on the negative they read online and don't consider the 99% of the people that have a positive experience and never post about it. My MM651's have been great and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair (from an authorized dealer).

Old 05-16-2014, 10:47 AM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by yzergod
Too many people put way too much emphasis on the negative they read online and don't consider the 99% of the people that have a positive experience and never post about it. My MM651's have been great and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair (from an authorized dealer).
Good for you......... But that doesn't change the experience I had with them! Not good.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:47 AM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by yzergod
So, you're suggesting that there's only 1% of folks who've had these speakers blow and'or melt on them? I'm sorry but I challenge that assumption. I'm not calling you out but the reason why we have forums is to learn, educate and make aware. I'm sure that some have had excellent experiences with them but the fact is, recently to many people (not even on this forum but many other forums) are having the exact same issue. It's a shame that Polk is not making a stand and recalling these speakers. But given the extreme number of complaints about the instability of these speakers, why purchase them until Polk has fixed the problem.

That's just my personal feelilng.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:09 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts
Default My .02

Originally Posted by 05hdultra
I bought my MM651 speakers legally off of EBay. Now that I got about 4-5 rides in before they blew, Polk says they will not replace them because I bought them off of EBay. If you do not buy their products from one of their authorized dealers, you are SOL. These speakers literally lasted me a week.

eBay nor ANY of it's resellers are authorized Polk dealers.

you should have recourse though PayPal, after all they have become pretty much a buyers recourse company and screw sellers left and right...

By my guestimation, after reading forums such as this one and a couple others. Approx. 7 out of 10 people who used the MM651s have had problems. The ones that haven't love them. Your one of the lucky ones.
Then I guess my question would be if you read all the negative stuff (and believe me you won't find a more loyal Polk fan than I) that I along with many others have posted, why did you buy Polk speakers and furthermore why from eBay?

Your only course of action through Polk is through Authorized Dealers

and FWIW, and most who've been around here for a while know this already. I ran MM651s, 2 pair and drove the **** out of them for over 2 years. never an issue.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 05-16-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: cause I can
Old 05-16-2014, 04:55 PM
05hdultra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ

eBay nor ANY of it's resellers are authorized Polk dealers.

you should have recourse though PayPal, after all they have become pretty much a buyers recourse company and screw sellers left and right...

Then I guess my question would be if you read all the negative stuff (and believe me you won't find a more loyal Polk fan than I) that I along with many others have posted, why did you buy Polk speakers and furthermore why from eBay?

Your only course of action through Polk is through Authorized Dealers

and FWIW, and most who've been around here for a while know this already. I ran MM651s, 2 pair and drove the **** out of them for over 2 years. never an issue.
I didn't do extensive research before buying them, that's my own fault. I saw a good deal and read 1-2 small blogs about them then just pulled the trigger. Again my own fault for not doing my due diligence. On top of that I've had Polk HOME audio stuff in the past and loved them. So needless to say I gave them a try. Note to self, home audio and car audio are 2 different animals. If you or a few others have had success with Polk I'm very happy for you, but personally I have nothing good to say about them.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:12 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I didn't do extensive research before buying them, that's my own fault. I saw a good deal and read 1-2 small blogs about them then just pulled the trigger. Again my own fault for not doing my due diligence. On top of that I've had Polk HOME audio stuff in the past and loved them. So needless to say I gave them a try. Note to self, home audio and car audio are 2 different animals. If you or a few others have had success with Polk I'm very happy for you, but personally I have nothing good to say about them.
I can agree with you on that, I've been jammin to a set of Dxi650 in my truck for several years also. The difference is that on a bike we amp them hard and we play them even harder.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:00 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a pair of MM651's from an authorized dealer and have been using them for over a year, no problem. They sound good. Maybe a quieter exhaust :~) then you wouldn't have to play them so loud. Also, distortion kills. If your amp is clipping and will fry the speakers.

Fact is, not much will sound better than an ipod or phone with the Apple earpods and use a Y connector for your passenger. $70 for both of you, no install cost and it really does sound better at highway speed than just about anything else. No wind noise yet you can clearly hear cars and other road noise.

Last edited by skypilot_one; 05-28-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Fozzy4325
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the UM651's then after reading the issues and reading ultrnutz post on the polk forums. I purchased the JM ROkker 7 1/4s.. Im just waiting for the bike. I think im going to try test the two.
A friend has just got the JM speakers. THey are loud but i don't find them clear. so i want to see what the difference is.

Its also a good way to test to see if the speakers are junk ones from Sonic Electronics

Old 05-28-2014, 09:09 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fozzy4325
I have the UM651's then after reading the issues and reading ultrnutz post on the polk forums.
Where did you mount them? I bought the UM's at one point, but sent them back because of the permanently mounted grilles and didn't want to heavily modify them to fit in the fairing.

Quick Reply: Do not but polk audio!!!