Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M Rokker/PBR300x2 problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Jetblack3
Tourer
Received 286 Likes on 126 Posts
Default J&M Rokker/PBR300x2 problem.

Calling all experts for some help here... I done a J&M Rokker 7.25 speaker upgrade with the Fosgate 300x2 amp on a 2013 ultra classic a month back. It lasted for a couple rides and then the amp shut down, it eventually came back on for awhile the it began to clip on/off repeatedly. It would eventually quit for a long spell and was assuming it was dead at that point. Arrive home, put bike away and next morning it was on again, only to ride for a few blocks and start clipping again and go out. At that point thought it was possibly a bad connection so took fairing off and redone connections at amp and battery both positive and ground cable. Reset gains, currently just under 5 with freq. at 50 and amp set on all pass.Take for a short ride and power began cycling on/off again so thought it was for sure a defective amp.

Ordered a new amp and changed it out. Powered up and all seemed fine. Let the rainy weather pass this week and got bike out today. Went for a ride today and the gremlin has come back, same symptoms as previous amp. Total of less than 1 hour ride time on this one. I'm totally scratching my head here now and would love to get this issue solved. Cant see how it could be an issue with the speakers and I'm confident everything leading to the amp is good. What else can I check for troubleshooting ?

Anybody else out there running this combo with success ?

Old 05-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the amp is clipping. I doubt you got two bad amps in a row with the same problem, so it has to be a problem with the speakers or the connections.

You only mention checking the power and ground. Did you make sure none of the speaker connections are grounded? That could do it.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:13 PM
Jetblack3
Tourer

I looked over the speaker connections really well and could not see anything amiss there either when I changed the amp but that just about has to be it given everything else I've done to this point. Only exception being with the J&M grills. They have the tweeter integrated into the grills and there are very small cutouts in the adapter rings to accept the wires. My thinking at this point is maybe there is a wire pinched behind the adapters that I cannot see. Anyhow I'm picking bike back up tommorrow and gonna pop the fairing again to remove speakers and have a look there. If I find nothing, I have a pair of 7.1 Titans on shelf that is going to replace the Rokkers. Either way this saga should come to a close soon.

Thanks for the ground tip !

Old 05-04-2014, 02:16 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

JetBlack ,,,,,,

if you think that you pinched one of the wires going to the J&M ROKKER grill mounted tweeters, just unplug them from the crossover network on each speaker and see if the amp still has issues ,,,,,,,,

and while you have the fairing off, you might as well slide the B/T 7.1s in, in place of the ROKKERs so that you can give ALL of us, your first hand opinion of the performance & volume difference between the two ,,,,,

Old 05-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Jetblack3
Tourer

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
JetBlack ,,,,,,

if you think that you pinched one of the wires going to the J&M ROKKER grill mounted tweeters, just unplug them from the crossover network on each speaker and see if the amp still has issues ,,,,,,,,

and while you have the fairing off, you might as well slide the B/T 7.1s in, in place of the ROKKERs so that you can give ALL of us, your first hand opinion of the performance & volume difference between the two ,,,,,
And so I did... First off I wish I could say I found something obvious in there that would have put my mind as ease but that was not the case. Everything was right where it was suppose to be so the B/T 7.1's went in just to see if issue would go away. Done the swap over first thing this morning. As for performance, the Titans seem to have a little tighter bass but do not jam as loud as the Rokkers. In the shop they sounded really well but out on the road they were lacking power. Main difference likely being a 2ohm speaker with J&M vs. a 4 ohm from B/T... not exactly apples to apples.

The fosgate amp just doesn't push the 4 ohm as well. I'm sure either speaker with their own suppliers amp would jam exceptionally well but price always being a factor the amp is where most cut the corner.

I would be really interested in hearing from others out there that are running the Rokkers with the PBR amp combo and what they have seen ?? The 2 ohm Rokkers seem to work that PBR amp pretty good. Kind of has me wondering if it is adequate enough for them ?

Plan for now is to run the Titans for a week or two and if all is well then there is possibly something wrong with the Rokkers, nothing that I can see with my eye but maybe something internal.. who knows, obviously only being a few months old with limited play time is a bit of a dissappointment for owner not to mention me the installer who has been under that fairing more times than I care. If the B/T's keep playing I'll be testing out the J&M warranty... stay tuned Ya'll

Old 05-04-2014, 11:12 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

jetblack ,,,,,,,

I responded to your private email but it came back ,,,, so here it is below ,,,,,,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jetblack ,,,,,,,,

Well something is wrong that is for sure ,,,,,,,,,,

It would probably be unusual to have two bad R/F amps in a row, but frankly I don't know much about them ,,,,,,,

How did the B/T 7.1s sound when you put them in ? ,,,,,,,,,,,

Did you play them wide open for an hour or two before you put the fairing back on ?

Old 05-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Jetblack3
Tourer

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
jetblack ,,,,,,,

I responded to your private email but it came back ,,,, so here it is below ,,,,,,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jetblack ,,,,,,,,

Well something is wrong that is for sure ,,,,,,,,,,

It would probably be unusual to have two bad R/F amps in a row, but frankly I don't know much about them ,,,,,,,

How did the B/T 7.1s sound when you put them in ? ,,,,,,,,,,,

Did you play them wide open for an hour or two before you put the fairing back on ?
As stated above... they are not as loud as the J&M's and I could not expect them to be as they are set up. With The PBR amp pushing the 4 ohm B/T's its 126w per channel, your speakers being pushed at 2 ohm its 196w per channel.

I did not rock'em wide open for more than 1 song and I certainly would not do that for an hour or two on any set up. I just did the swap over after working off a graveyard shift and took bike right back so I get get in the bed. Spoke to friend today and he has put a 40 mile run on'em Sunday with no issues. Got to get more seat time.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:02 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

one of the endurance tests that we perform in the J&M shop is to run the 500w ROKKER system at wide open volume, with the J&M test CD, and a good pair of the ROKKER XX speakers, for 12 - 14 solid hours, to see if either the speakers or the amp overheats ,,,,,,

your RF amp will not get as hot with the B/T 7.1s as they are 4-ohms instead of 2-ohms, which is why of course you are not putting out the same level of sound, as with the ROKKERs ,,,,,

you could increase the gains on the R/F amp a little to compensate, to see if you can get the B/T 7.1s to get closer to the ROKKERs in the volume level department ,,,,

I have "HEARD" that the R/F amps can have an overheating problem, but I do not know this from first hand experience ,,,,,

Old 05-06-2014, 06:21 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetblack3

As stated above... they are not as loud as the J&M's and I could not expect them to be as they are set up. With The PBR amp pushing the 4 ohm B/T's its 126w per channel, your speakers being pushed at 2 ohm its 196w per channel.

I did not rock'em wide open for more than 1 song and I certainly would not do that for an hour or two on any set up. I just did the swap over after working off a graveyard shift and took bike right back so I get get in the bed. Spoke to friend today and he has put a 40 mile run on'em Sunday with no issues. Got to get more seat time.
Send me a PM. I'll take the 7.1" and 2 PBR 300 X2 amps off your hands.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:52 AM
Banditsghost
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn you gain down on the amp, make sure the auto volume is also off. The J&M speakers don't seem to like the gain turned up to distortion level when you are powering it with the Rockford amp. I have mine turned to the second notch I think, between the one and three. Make sure you also have quality wires running from the amp to the speakers. Not an expert opinion but it worked for me. Both are great pieces of equipment with each component having there own little issues.

I had the problem where the volume while turned up past 3/4 would not produce anymore volume from the speakers, turned the gain down and I gained decidable at full volume.

Quick Reply: J&M Rokker/PBR300x2 problem.