Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M Rokker/PBR300x2 problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:14 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Banditsghost
Turn you gain down on the amp, make sure the auto volume is also off. The J&M speakers don't seem to like the gain turned up to distortion level when you are powering it with the Rockford amp. I have mine turned to the second notch I think, between the one and three. Make sure you also have quality wires running from the amp to the speakers. Not an expert opinion but it worked for me. Both are great pieces of equipment with each component having there own little issues.

I had the problem where the volume while turned up past 3/4 would not produce anymore volume from the speakers, turned the gain down and I gained decidable at full volume.
all good info. matter of fact somewhere in here John himself states the same thing with the PBR amps driving J&M Rokker speakers. Not sure if it's the same model speakers as what you're running but I do recall John putting this in a thread somewhere.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:16 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jetblack3
I did not rock'em wide open for more than 1 song and I certainly would not do that for an hour or two on any set up.
I do.. LOL.. Love it!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had the same issue with my PBR300x2 last week with the Infinity 62.11s. The amp went into protection mode and stayed there. I had to turn the gains all the way down in order for it to NOT be in protect mode and start clipping. I ended up just taking the damn amp out and hooking the 62.11s to the JL amp that I have. Clipping solved...

I think it has a lot to do with the amp just no being able to take the power that those 2 ohms speakers demand. I could be wrong, but thats what I came up with. I am now putting that amp on the wifeys sportster and hooking up the Pioneer TS-D 6.5s to it. They are 4 ohm and should be fine for that PBR...we'll see..

Old 05-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Tkstoy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running that very same Set up R/F and J&M. And have no issues (wanting more BaSS LoL) with heating or clipping or protection mode. I Have been on many trips and not one issue. Now when I get home and Ride this evening it will SHUTdown on me !!

Old 05-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Jetblack3
Tourer
Received 286 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I do.. LOL.. Love it!
There is no way I could do that with my pn4.520 and polks. 4 to 5 bars occasionally 6 and I get real nervous. 5 bars though and it's rocking hard.

Thanks for the tips guys. I may try the rokkers again with the gains backed off. Going on a 150 mile ride tomorrow so should be a good test for the 7.1s

Old 05-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Jetblack3
Tourer
Received 286 Likes on 126 Posts
Default new update, problem solved I think

Update: done a nice ride today and the B/T's performed flawless. When we got back I tore into it again and hooked the Rokkers back up with the gains on the PBR turned all the way down. The amp went into protect mode again once we hit about 4 bars of volume. We then unhooked the tweeters and mids and it still done it. Next we unhooked the right speaker entirely and the system cranked just fine. Hook back up and unhook the left, immediately put amp in protect mode. So... a blown speaker on the right side appears to be the issue all along. Was able to get a call in to J&M before close and they are mailing me out a new speaker for replacement under warranty. Hope to see it in a couple days.

Looking back now I could have saved myself several trips under the lid had I just unplugged one speaker, rock it hard, then the other speaker and it probably would have tattle tailed on itself. Anyhow, lesson learned and hope to be back up rockin in a few days.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:07 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jetblack3
Update: done a nice ride today and the B/T's performed flawless. When we got back I tore into it again and hooked the Rokkers back up with the gains on the PBR turned all the way down. The amp went into protect mode again once we hit about 4 bars of volume. We then unhooked the tweeters and mids and it still done it. Next we unhooked the right speaker entirely and the system cranked just fine. Hook back up and unhook the left, immediately put amp in protect mode. So... a blown speaker on the right side appears to be the issue all along. Was able to get a call in to J&M before close and they are mailing me out a new speaker for replacement under warranty. Hope to see it in a couple days.

Looking back now I could have saved myself several trips under the lid had I just unplugged one speaker, rock it hard, then the other speaker and it probably would have tattle tailed on itself. Anyhow, lesson learned and hope to be back up rockin in a few days.
excellent troubleshooting sir and good news on finding your issues.