Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about going under the knife for an enhancement!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:55 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Thinking about going under the knife for an enhancement!!

Here is the history;

1) pulled the bitchin' AM/FM cassette, blown factory speakers, & cinder block sized 10 disc changer out of my '01 SERG.

2) replaced with a JVC cd head unit, Hawg Wired adapter & mount, Kicker PX100.2 amp, and Kicker PS5250i speakers (amp & speakers were free before you poo-poo).

3) saved up $$ and replaced Kicker amp with RF PBR300x2 and the Kicker speakers with Polk MM651's in adapters.

Sound is good, but like most, I want more. Did some research and it appears that the thing to do is utilize what I have sitting on a shelf (also, the warden has put a freeze on spending ). I've exhausted every avenue in searching out speaker pods for my lowers. I only have one glove box (pervious owner found at a swap meet - who sells/buys just one???) and cannot locate a mate for it and the speaker pods do not fit my year. Also, I like the ability to take them off for the summer. So with that being strike three, speakers in the lowers are out!

So, I think that this weekend I will cut two gaping holes in my inner fairing and attempt to mount the Kickers facing the forks. I'm on the fence about just using the rear outs on the JVC or installing the amp to drive them. I am seeking opinions from those that have dared to give me any pointers and insights. Should I use the amp? It is almost twice as large as the RF, so I am wondering about where to mount it. I'm sure that with enough industrial Velcro, gorilla tape, silicone, and bathroom caulk I should be able to get-er-done (maybe if I eliminate the headlights ). I am also on the fence about how to wire it up. What do you guys think?

Plan is to cut the holes and mount the speakers tonight. I will photo document my progress like I was following the mating rituals of penguins for NatGeo. Then, wire it up and finish for a shake down run this weekend.

So, any and all input welcome before I fire up the sawzall!!

Hopefully the finished product would end up like member urslo's...

Last edited by yzergod; 05-02-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:43 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by yzergod
Here is the history;

1) pulled the bitchin' AM/FM cassette, blown factory speakers, & cinder block sized 10 disc changer out of my '01 SERG.
target practice

2) replaced with a JVC cd head unit, Hawg Wired adapter & mount, Kicker PX100.2 amp, and Kicker PS5250i speakers (amp & speakers were free before you poo-poo).
no poo poo.. use what ya got man

3) saved up $$ and replaced Kicker amp with RF PBR300x2 and the Kicker speakers with Polk MM651's in adapters.
now we're progressing!
Sound is good, but like most, I want more.
nah! say it isn't so.. :-)

Did some research and it appears that the thing to do is utilize what I have sitting on a shelf (also, the warden has put a freeze on spending ). I've exhausted every avenue in searching out speaker pods for my lowers. I only have one glove box (pervious owner found at a swap meet - who sells/buys just one???) and cannot locate a mate for it and the speaker pods do not fit my year. Also, I like the ability to take them off for the summer. So with that being strike three, speakers in the lowers are out!

So, I think that this weekend I will cut two gaping holes in my inner fairing and attempt to mount the Kickers facing the forks. I'm on the fence about just using the rear outs on the JVC or installing the amp to drive them. I am seeking opinions from those that have dared to give me any pointers and insights. Should I use the amp? It is almost twice as large as the RF, so I am wondering about where to mount it. I'm sure that with enough industrial Velcro, gorilla tape, silicone, and bathroom caulk I should be able to get-er-done (maybe if I eliminate the headlights ). I am also on the fence about how to wire it up. What do you guys think?

Plan is to cut the holes and mount the speakers tonight. I will photo document my progress like I was following the mating rituals of penguins for NatGeo. Then, wire it up and finish for a shake down run this weekend.

So, any and all input welcome before I fire up the sawzall!!

Hopefully the finished product would end up like member urslo's...
using rear outputs of the head unit will be a futile effort with those speakers facing inward like that. Use the amp if you can find a place to mount it.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:03 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
using rear outputs of the head unit will be a futile effort with those speakers facing inward like that.
So, what you're saying is, "resistance is futile"?