Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which head unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:34 PM
whynotf75
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default which head unit

Hello I have a 12 street glide with rockford fosgate amp and polk audio speakers. I want to change out the head unit with something nice, I would like a big screen with nav, bluetooth,xm. I still want to use the controls on the bars, which unit would be best and what all will I need to do this right? thanks
mike

Old 04-30-2014, 07:12 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

if you can still find the Kenwood single din flip out NAV units, that's the way I would go personally. The main reason being Kenwood is one of the very few out there using the Garmin GPS system.

As for the controls, BT, HW, PAC, and several others make handlebar control modules that will accomplish this goal.

you'll need the head unit, the nav unit, the xm unit, the mounting kit, the handlebar control module, and A RAINSHIELD.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:41 PM
P'cola Hog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad someone else started a HU thread so I can get a little help.

I just had a BT 2180 amp & 7.1 speakers installed while changing front lowers, 20k front end servivce. Now I have a piece of crap HK pushing those great parts.

What is good a good HU that will give me a clear radio & CD player...player that doesn't skip even on smooth roads, hopefully rarely skips? I want to keep HB controls, but don't care if the AVG works, really, I'd rather it didn't work.

Keep in mind BT has RCA Jack's.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:51 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Pioneer, Alpine, Sony all seem to have a good track record for not skipping. Kenwood CD players seem to be prone to skipping more than some of the others.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:32 PM
P'cola Hog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Pioneer, Alpine, Sony all seem to have a good track record for not skipping. Kenwood CD players seem to be prone to skipping more than some of the others.
Any certain models better than others? By better I mean sounds better, I don't need all the bells and whistles you young guys like.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:35 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

since you don't care about AVC, then I'd suggest the Metra 99-9600 install kit, the ASWC-1 control module, AND a rainshield

The head unit needs to be what you like for features. The only other suggestion I'll give you is make sure you get something with at least 4v RCA outputs. The rest of it is up to you.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:41 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This will be my 6th summer for my Kenwood KVT819DVD... I haven't had a bit of trouble !! The Biketronics module worked flawlessly, and the Kenwood IPOD cable is killer !!

Old 05-19-2014, 11:35 PM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Auto volume?

if you can still find the Kenwood single din flip out NAV units, that's the way I would go personally. The main reason being Kenwood is one of the very few out there using the Garmin GPS system.

As for the controls, BT, HW, PAC, and several others make handlebar control modules that will accomplish this goal.

you'll need the head unit, the nav unit, the xm unit, the mounting kit, the handlebar control module, and A RAINSHIELD.

Question for you: Do you loose the auto volume with speeding up and slowing down function of the stock HD system when upgrading to an aftermarket head unit?

Old 05-20-2014, 12:22 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bill_1202
Question for you: Do you loose the auto volume with speeding up and slowing down function of the stock important HD system when upgrading to an aftermarket head unit?
FIFY !!

Not if you buy the Biketronics module !!

Old 05-20-2014, 10:16 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

The head unit needs to be what you like for features. The only other suggestion I'll give you is make sure you get something with at least 4v RCA outputs. The rest of it is up to you.
+1... it is all up to your "requirements:... like I wanted rear USB, not in the front and BT. I had really good experience with Pioneer so that was my preference.
The ONLY thing you need to keep in mind is you probably will not be able to read the screen (Batwing that is; cannot speak for RG).
the chrome tank cover reflects... so I used 3 strips of 2 inch black electric tape and covered the front side of the chrome cover

I know there are some HU's out there that give you the ability to show 2 lines of info instead of 3 (or selectable).